22. Chrissy's Crypt. A Hallowe'en Story

22. Chrissy's Crypt. A Hallowe'en Story

A Chapter by Craig2591
"

Chrissy decorates the apartment and overdoes it.

"

Ian was exhausted. He didn't usually work on Saturday, but things had gotten really busy at work that week and he'd been called in for some over-time. He was glad the day was over and he could enjoy what was left of his weekend. He parked his car, got out and walked toward his apartment. He opened the front door and took a step inside.


Whoops!! Wrong apartment!” he exclaimed, as he stepped back out and closed the door. He looked at the number on the door and furrowed his brow. He opened the door again and looked inside. It was his apartment alright, though he barely recognized it.  He saw his sofa and his chair, and Chrissy's bookcase. But the place was decorated from floor to ceiling for Halloween.


He stepped inside and closed the door behind him. “What the...?!” he muttered as he looked around the living room in awe. There were giant cobwebs in the corners. There was a three foot tall gargoyle sitting next to the sofa. On the far side of the living-room was a small cemetery with nearly life-sized head-stones. On the shelves were skull candle-holders, 'pewter' goblets molded in the shapes of skeletal hands and many other creepy items. Against one wall was a faux fireplace made of cardboard with hideous faces 'carved' into the mantle. On the walls were portraits that changed to grotesque faces when viewed from a different angle. He was so taken by the scene surrounding him that he almost missed Chrissy standing by the entrance to the hallway.


“I decorated the place a little,” she said a tad sheepishly when he looked at her.


“A little?!” he exclaimed, “It looks like Tim Burton threw-up in here! Where the hell did you get all this stuff?”


“I stopped at one of those Halloween super-stores that always pop-up around the city this time of year,” she replied, “I only meant to get a couple of things, but... I guess I got carried away.” She looked somewhat abashed. “I always kind of liked Halloween, but when I lived alone... well, I never bothered decorating for myself. I... I'll take it all down if you want me to.”


He was still turning and looking at the living room. Each time he looked around he saw something new that he had missed before. He finally looked at her and smiled. “Well, it is a bit much. But I have to admit... you did a good job. It doesn't look cheesy at all. Go ahead,” he said with a sigh, “Leave it up”


She smiled back at him faintly. “Are you sure?”


“Yeah. I'll get used to it. But I might sleep with the lights on tonight.”


Three nights later Ian was meeting with some of his fellow artists and some others that were interested in starting an arts council in the city. Being involved with such a project could really help his art career, he decided. He got back home around seven-thirty and was surprised to see several strangers coming and going from his apartment. As he approached the front door he found Chrissy standing there with a wad of cash in her hand.


“Chrissy! What the hell is going on?!” he asked.


At that moment a woman with two young children came up and, to Ian's amazement, handed Chrissy some money and then entered their apartment. As they went in, two giggling teen-age girls exited.


“Well,” explained Chrissy, “This afternoon the doorbell rang. When I answered it, there were three teenagers standing there. One of them asked if they could see our decorated apartment. I don't know how they found out about it. So I said, 'Sure! for five bucks!' I was just being a smart-a*s, but the kid whipped out five bucks, handed it to me and walked on in. Then his buddies did the same.They must have told their friends about it, because - before you know it - people from all over the neighborhood started coming over and paying me to see our apartment.”


Chrissy!! For God's sake, we can't turn our apartment into a Halloween attraction!!” he practically shouted.


“I've made eighty bucks so-far,” she replied matter-of-factly.


“You... huh?... really?!”


She nodded.


He stared at her dumbfounded for several seconds. Then he furrowed his brow and said, “Do you think maybe I should make some fliers?”





© 2015 Craig2591


Author's Note

Craig2591
This one's a little unrealistic, but it was fun to write. Hope you enjoy it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I found this to be wonderfully written. I honestly will need to set some time to read the rest of the story from start to finish. I already like Chrissy. Also from what you described the apartment to look like; I would also pay 5 dollars to see it in real life.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

7 Years Ago

Thank you for the review.



Reviews

I found this to be wonderfully written. I honestly will need to set some time to read the rest of the story from start to finish. I already like Chrissy. Also from what you described the apartment to look like; I would also pay 5 dollars to see it in real life.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

7 Years Ago

Thank you for the review.
Hahaha this is really entertaining and fun to read.
The reactions are perfect :)
Love how even with all the scary halloween decorations its still a sweet and fun story!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

8 Years Ago

Thank you.
I love the turn from scary to cute unexpected

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reviewing.
What makes this feel unreal to me is how their haunted-apartment attraction starts, with the kids just asking. It's still a fun chapter and Halloween fits with Chrissy well.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

11 Years Ago

Thanks.
Haha! I really like this chapter!! I love how innocently she just wants to put up decorations, but then it turns into a profit because of one smart comment. Oh Chrissy...haha Great chapter!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

11 Years Ago

Thank you.
This was fun to read!!!!I enjoyed every bit of it.Can't wait to see what happens next.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

11 Years Ago

Thank you!
Angelic_Dreamer

11 Years Ago

ur welcome!:)
Are you kidding? This is Chrissy! I enjoy and go all out for Halloween too, so I totally understand. This brings her character out even more, and the way she gets him to say that it's okay, but lights on! I think the fact she made money instead of being mean shows she is growing and having fun. Not unrealistic to me. I grew up by the beach and it was always real foggy and the entire city went all out. You didn't see anyone until you were right on them.
Loved it! $80 too...

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

11 Years Ago

Thanks, Faith. Chrissy is not a big fan of the holidays, but I decided she liked Halloween. She's .. read more
This is so chrissy-ish! of course halloween would be her favorite holiday. good job and a very fun read

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

11 Years Ago

Thanks!
Oh god i love Chrissy... I know I've said it before... but i really like the way you paint her. Just incredible.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

11 Years Ago

Thank you, Kaya!
Cool Chapter! I really enjoyed this one. I love Halloween and think she did a great job in the decorating and to make money off of it, how fantastic that would be. I you;re developing a really great book here!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

11 Years Ago

Realistically speaking, I think Chrissy would've grabbed the teenager by the shirt collar and shoved.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1067 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 2, 2012
Last Updated on June 12, 2015
Tags: romance, love, humor


Author

Craig2591
Craig2591

OH



About
I am a visual artist with no formal training in creative writing. I get stories knocking around my head and sometimes I write them down. I decided to join this site to share them with other writers .. more..

Writing
Challenges Challenges

A Story by Craig2591



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


2.  B++b Job? 2. B++b Job?

A Chapter by Craig2591