13. "A Table for Two, Please"

13. "A Table for Two, Please"

A Chapter by Craig2591
"

Chrissy and Meredith enjoy an elegant lunch.

"

Chrissy sat at her workbench with a stranger's laptop disassembled in front of her as she replaced its defunct power-supply. It always amazed her that so many folks actually paid money to have such simple repairs done by people like her. As she concentrated on her task, her boss peeked around the corner.


Chrissy,” he said, “You have a visitor.”


She glanced at the clock. It was nearly noon. She wondered what would bring Ian by in the middle of the day. His lunch break was usually too short to allow him enough time to drive across town to visit her. “Tell him to come on back!” she told her boss as she continued working. She soon sensed the presence of someone standing next to her. “Just give me a few seconds, will you?” she said with a touch of impatience as she concentrated on her task.


That's okay, Chrissy. Take your time,” said a woman's voice.


Chrissy turned with surprise to find Meredith Fini standing next to her. “Meredith!” she said, “What are you doing here?!” Meredith and Tony Fini were the owners of the factory where Ian worked. Chrissy suddenly became concerned that something might have happened to him.


Meredith smiled warmly and replied, “Well, I was in the area on business and decided to try that new French restaurant that just opened up down the street for lunch. But I just hate dining alone and stopped in to see if you would like to join me.”


Chrissy was caught off guard with the request.  She had first met Meredith when Ian had dragged her - practically kicking and screaming - to his company picnic which was held in Tony and Meredith's spacious back yard. The two women had almost nothing in common. For one thing, Meredith was thirty years Chrissy's senior. She was also the type of woman that Chrissy, who was a wild child of the urban streets, usually referred to as a 'pretentious rich b***h'. Yet they had struck up an unlikely friendship. The only real commonality they did share was the fact that they both spoke fluent French; Chrissy having been born and raised in Quebec and Meredith having studied abroad in Paris during her college years.


Um... yeah, sure,” answered Chrissy, “Let me clock out first.”


As they entered the restaurant, Chrissy looked around at the elegant interior and well dressed patrons and said in a low voice, “S**t, Meredith! They're not going to let me in here! Especially the way I'm dressed!” She was wearing ripped jeans, a black tank-top and a large, stainless steel chain around her neck. The toe of one of her boots was wrapped in duct tape and her short black hair was uncombed.


Sure they will,” Meredith whispered as the waiter approached them, “Just follow my lead.”


I'm sorry,” the waiter addressed Chrissy somewhat haughtily, “Our dress code is business or business casual. I'm afraid you -- ”


Nous aimerions une table pour deux, s'il vous plaît,” Meredith interrupted him with a smile.


He gave Meredith a curious look and then continued speaking to Chrissy. “I'm afraid your attire is not proper.” Chrissy only stared at him blankly.


Nous aimerions une table pour deux, s'il vous plaît,” repeated Meredith, holding up two fingers.


He looked from one to the other a few times and then asked, “Do either of you speak English?”


Non,” answered Meredith, “Parlez-vous français?”


No, I don't speak French,” he replied.


Meredith turned to Chrissy and said, “ Il s'agit d'un restaurant français et le garçon ne parle pas français!”


Chrissy shrugged. “Il est un imbécile!” she said with a nod toward the waiter.


His face reddened. He didn't need to speak French to understand what Chrissy had just said.


Please,” he said, “Your attire --”


Is there a problem here?” They turned to find the restaurant manager approaching them.


Yes, sir,” said the waiter, “I'm trying to explain about our dress code but neither one of them apparently speaks English.”


Ah! Le maître d'!” said Meredith with a smile, “Nous voudrions une table pour deux, s'il vous plaît.” She held up two fingers again.


I'm afraid I don't speak French, madam,” he replied, “But, our dress code --”


Meredith turned to Chrissy and said, “Le maître d' ne parle pas le français? Quel genre de restaurant est-ce que c'est?”


Ils sont tous les deux imbéciles!” answered Chrissy.


The manager shot Chrissy a dark look. “I'm sorry, but we cannot seat you unless you are properly attired,” he said firmly.


Meredith looked at Chrissy. They both shrugged and turned back to the manager with looks of total incomprehension. All four of them stared at each other for several moments before the manager finally threw his hands up in the air with exasperation.


Oh, for Pete's sake!” he said angrily, “Seat them at our most inconspicuous table!” He stormed off.


Follow me, please,” said the waiter with a touch of arrogance. Meredith winked at Chrissy as she fell in behind the waiter. Chrissy was beginning to really like Meredith!


He led them to a table in the darkest corner of the restaurant. It was usually reserved for couples who wanted a little privacy and had one seat against the wall that was partially obscured by a large potted plant. The waiter pulled that chair out for Chrissy, but Meredith quickly slipped in and sat in it instead, much to his consternation.


Merci!” she said with a smile. He pulled the other chair out for Chrissy and she sat down without a word.


They spoke French throughout their meal. Chrissy found it refreshing to converse with someone in her native tongue again, something she hadn't done since her mother had died. She even let it slide when Meredith called her Canadian accent 'quaint'.


As their meal drew to a close, Meredith became serious. “I have a friend who owns a company downtown that designs custom software systems for businesses,” she said, “He wants to expand his business into Canada and needs someone to translate their tech manuals into French. That person would also help the software engineers with any translation issues they might have within the software itself. I think you would be perfect for that job and I would like to recommend you for it, Chrissy. Derek is demanding but fair and he rewards hard work generously. What do you think?”


Chrissy looked down at her plate despondently and didn't answer right away.


Is there a problem?” asked Meredith with a look of concern.


After a long pause, Chrissy asked, “Would you still want to recommend me if you knew I had a criminal record?”


Meredith raised one eyebrow. “Oh?” she said. Chrissy nodded. She looked at Chrissy for a few moments and then said, “Okay... tell me about it!” It was almost a command.


Chrissy hesitated, but then decided that she liked Meredith and trusted her, so she related the whole story of her former drug addiction and her subsequent run-ins with the law during that time. When she was done, Meredith regarded her for a very long time. Even Chrissy, who could stare down her own reflection, began to squirm under her gaze. Finally, Meredith spoke, “Okay. I consider myself an excellent judge of character. I believe in you, Chrissy. I'm going to go ahead and recommend you, but I think it would be better if Derek heard about your past from me first. But remember, I can't get you the job! The best I can do is get you an interview. The rest is up to you.”


Chrissy wasn't the best at showing gratitude. “Thanks,” she mumbled, looking down at the table, “I appreciate it.”


Well, in my opinion, I'm doing my friend Derek a favor, too!” replied Meredith. “Now, let's get you back to work before you lose your current job!”


Meredith paid for their lunch over Chrissy's protests. She had to promise Chrissy that she could treat for their next meal before she would agree.


On their way out, Meredith walked up to their waiter and said with a smile, “Please give my compliments to the chef, the food was delicious! However, I'm afraid the service was a bit lacking.”


He stared after her open-mouthed as she walked away.


As Chrissy passed by him he heard her mutter, “Imbécile.”



© 2012 Craig2591


Author's Note

Craig2591
I didn't think translations were important, but for the record, Meredith repeatedly asks for a table for two and also comments to Chrissy about a French restaurant where neither the waiter nor the maitre d' speak French. You should be able to figure out what Chrissy's response is.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hahahaha this is absolutely hilarious. I do understand a lot of written French, so that part came through loud and clear. I consider that establishment totally schooled! Too hilarious

(I could definitely imagine Xenia in Meredith's shoes when she's middle aged!)



Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

9 Years Ago

Thank you. I would love to write some sort of adventure story that includes these two, but I haven'.. read more



Reviews

great story i was glued to it from start to finish, good luck in my competition,

Posted 5 Years Ago


Another very funny passage. I like the passages in French, even though I struggled to remember my college French. :D But, again, I'm sorry. It's more than 1000 words and doesn't qualify for the contest.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hahahaha this is absolutely hilarious. I do understand a lot of written French, so that part came through loud and clear. I consider that establishment totally schooled! Too hilarious

(I could definitely imagine Xenia in Meredith's shoes when she's middle aged!)



Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

9 Years Ago

Thank you. I would love to write some sort of adventure story that includes these two, but I haven'.. read more
I love the concept of this chapter; 'how to get Chrissy into a nice French restaurant.'

I don't know if it was intended or not, but when they're talking at the table about the job in English, I imagined they were still speaking in French with a direct translation. I don't know how you did that or if it was just my own impression, but it was cool.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

11 Years Ago

I mentioned in the story that they spoke French throughout their meal and that Chrissy found it 'ref.. read more
I love that Chrissy has found a friend in Meredith and the way they played the waiter and manager was priceless! I hope things for work out for Chrissy with the job! Great chapter!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

11 Years Ago

Thank you.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
E
Right, my coworkers stared at me when i puffed out laughing. These 2 women could be one heck of a duo! Good stuff :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

11 Years Ago

Thank you.
I am learning French presently, and I was laughing so hard as I imagined the waiter's face! I loved it! Or should I say; J'aime! C'est impressionnant! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

11 Years Ago

Thanks! I hope the French was correct. I used an online translator and those things are notoriousl.. read more
Christine Mae

11 Years Ago

I'm a beginner, I've only been doing it for 3 years and I'm still in middle school, so don't ask me!.. read more
I loved it... I could just see the waiters face... PERFECT!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Good chapter. Not a fun situation to be in but I think she did pretty for herself. Good luck to her!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1014 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 20, 2012
Last Updated on July 28, 2012
Tags: Humor


Author

Craig2591
Craig2591

OH



About
I am a visual artist with no formal training in creative writing. I get stories knocking around my head and sometimes I write them down. I decided to join this site to share them with other writers .. more..

Writing
Challenges Challenges

A Story by Craig2591



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


15. The New Job 15. The New Job

A Chapter by Craig2591