Where We Once Sat..by Michael

Where We Once Sat..by Michael

A Story by Michael Reisman

There was a slight chill in the air when the orange and yellow leaves blew around the park. It was a path on the way to work from Monday to Friday as I passed a park bench where an old man slept. He woke up when he smelled the hot coffee that I had left there for him. It was just a kind gesture to a stranger that needed something that morning. Friday came as I bought two toasted bagels and two cups of coffee, each for the old man and me. I turned around and waved and waved back at him as the smile on his worn and weary face made me feel good. We talked for the first time when cold November winds blew around the park. It was only briefly and nothing much was said except for a hello, how you doing, and goodbye. I bought the old man a pair of gloves for the upcoming winter months and he hugged me as if he had known me all of life. December brought some snow during the week as I walked the path in the park on the way to work. An ambulance drove away from the bench he used to sleep on. The wind blew stronger and uncovered an old brown wallet from under a tree just a few feet away. The contents were an old Social Security Card, two faded dollar bills, and one old black and white photo. It was in his younger years that the picture was taken. He was holding hands with a woman that looked so much like my mom at a younger age. I took it home and showed it to my mother. "Your father left me before you were born, I'm so sorry you have to hear this now". I wiped the tears from her face and said, "I just got to know him for a few short months, so maybe our connection was meant to be once again". My vacation was in December as one Saturday morning I sat on a bench and thought about him. The park was crowded that day, but nobody else saw an old man sit next to me. He shared some coffee and a toasted bagel as he said, "you will always be my son". I replied, you will always be my dad"...
 
 
 

© 2014 Michael Reisman


Author's Note

Michael Reisman
See my 17 published books of short stories on my web site www.michaelreisman.net

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Sad.. and for me, strangely apt for the coming month and all it holds. There's a quite large block of print here and yet it holds such soft phrasing and pure graphics. Should be read by far more people, if only for the feeling it leaves behind.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Michael Reisman

9 Years Ago

Very true emmajoy. The timing would be certainly be appropriate this winter ahead.
THis is very short, very subtle, says a lot. I enjoyed it.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Michael Reisman

9 Years Ago

Thanks for enjoying this short story Marie. All it takes is a few words to paint the picture.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

287 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 19, 2014
Last Updated on November 19, 2014

Author

Michael Reisman
Michael Reisman

Eastchester, NY



About
My new website is My new website is michaelsbooksofshortstories.godaddysites.com My email address is [email protected] more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..