altruism

altruism

A Story by sette

My country is faced with numerous issues that can make a president feel discouraged. Faced with animosity from the International Criminal Court, European Union and even United Nations. My country is simply considered an outcast. The people here are feeling drained economically, mentally, emotionally, politically and even spiritually. We have created a stir world-wide because of the extra judicial killings (EJK) because of drugs. It started as a campaign against druglords and drug protectors, but then it was sensationalized because innocent people were accused falsely and killed. A waste of human life. Then adding insult to injury, my country is banned from International Criminal Court because of this, has a pending case against United Nations and of course there is no financial aid from European Union and it wouldn’t be a surprise if other international organizations will follow.

With everything that has been going on in my country, only one thing keeps on playing in my mind; is it still all part of what Altruism should be? If I have to recall what Altruism as a philosophy is, it is a moral obligation to help, serve, and benefit from others. It means self-sacrifice for the common good.
EJK happened because of the prevalence of drug problems in my country, we have many drug users and pushes who came from the impoverished sector. Instead of helping their families with the basic needs, vices especially drugs became a priority. Because of this addiction, heinous crimes became an everyday news with rape, murder, spree killing, robbery, theft and larceny to name a few. Morality has suffered and since we are a Catholic country, the faith has been set aside because of this social issue. So, the president made it in his one of his platforms to end the drug issue and implement discipline in the country once again.
The President is equipped with an altruistic belief to serve, help others because it tries to trace the root problem of poverty and other social issues but then the end does not always justify the means, because it is the human life at stake, an incarceration of human rights particularly the right to live. With the accusation and death of innocent people, with the rise of vigilante groups, with the whitewash activities done by the police force, is it still altruism? Does it still help or benefit others?
Now the country is being faced with another issue, that is the killings of Filipino domestic helpers overseas particularly Arabian countries in which my country has numerous treaties to begin with as for oil and as a buffer zone for trade. It should be reciprocal altruism or the give and take situation, but another kind evolved and this one benefit only the Arabian nations and the Filipina women as sacrificial lambs, they go there to work, provide good future for their families and not to be taken home in a coffin, with injustice suffered in the hands of the cruel employers who did not only abuse them, rape them, humiliate them as women and as persons. Where is altruism here?
I am writing this piece not only because I want this to be an entry to a contest, but more than that, that maybe here at Writers Café, there will be people who can read this piece, be it an eye-opener or a wake up call that indeed my country is ailing, my people are in pain and we are severely humiliated beyond judgment and discrimination.

© 2018 sette


Author's Note

sette
sorry if this is a serious piece but has to be told

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

About halfway thru the first paragraph, I was already guessing that you must be talking about the Philippines (since you don't state your location in your profile). In the USA, our prez is deeply criticized by many for being friendly with your prez & the unfair drug killings are at the center of our controversy on this topic. It's really interesting to me, to get such a detailed & fair assessment of this situation from the point of view of someone in your country. We never get the full picture in our news. Your essay is written with a strong point of view, yet it's also balanced, not ranting about things and making careless accusations. Your sincere caring attitude comes across all the way. Your explanations are clear & interesting. I wish more people would write about their politics this way, to add to the global understanding of such things. No need to apologize in your authors notes, becuz to me, this is the kind of writing that probing minds crave! Keep it up! Keep us informed! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 6 Years Ago


sette

6 Years Ago

thanks margie a big hugz to you for the understanding, for a fair review and most of all the open mi.. read more
My friend. The world is scary. Everywhere in this world. Problems. I wish we could stop the world. Fix the problems. I wish I had the answers. In my lifetime. I see a world going in the right direction. Fall apart. Your words are needed. You must tell the world the truth. Keep writing, keep praying and lead with kindness, concern and love. Maybe we can show the people near. Every life had value.
John

Posted 6 Years Ago


sette

6 Years Ago

the culture here my friend has been in denial we were trained to be resilient even if we are already.. read more
Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

It is and it will. Prayers and us, standing as one for the goal of peace and calm in our world.
sette

6 Years Ago

i totally agree to it my friend

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

211 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 28, 2018
Last Updated on March 28, 2018

Author

sette
sette

Writing
coffee coffee

A Story by sette


hurt hurt

A Poem by sette



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..