Maximum Ride: 9-11 (chapter one)

Maximum Ride: 9-11 (chapter one)

A Chapter by Brittany
"

A fanfiction of Maximum Ride - the teen series by James Patterson.

"
CHAPTER 1


I love dangerous things. This isn't a statement; it's a truthful and obvious fact. Prove it? Well I'm up to thatchallenge. In the past few months, my life has been a complete HELL. People in white lab coats have been chasing me and my five close friends (who are really considered my family members) all across the world, Erasers (mutant-freak failures, though, I really shouldn't be talking…) have almost killed us definitely more than one time, and right now…right this VERY second, I was up in the sky at more than twenty thousand feet up in the air. How? Ahahaha…well like I mentioned…

I'm a mutant freak failure.

I flapped my wings at a steady pace, loving the feeling of wind all around me. I glanced around me and saw my friends-my flock-my family soaring with me through the sky.
Fang. My right-wing man. Dark, short and shaggy hair, piercing eyes, and jet black wings that stood out in the sunset colors around us. He glanced over at me and caught my gaze, then gave a little smile. My best friend.
Iggy. Our bomb-maker that cooks super good even though he's blind. Same age as Fang and I. He flew at a steady pace, a peaceful look on his face.
Nudge. The talker who was like my sister, at eleven years old. She looked over at me and grinned. "Hey! Max! When are we going to land? I'm really hungry. I bet the others are also. Can we stop somewhere where there's Mexican food? Suddenly I'm craving it really bad! I…" I've trained myself to tune her out once in a while when needed.
The Gasman, or "Gazzy" as we called him. Iggy's partner in crime and mischief, and the big eater. Eight years old. "I'm also hungry!!" Of course he was.
And lastly, Angel. My six-year old cute-as-could-be little girl. I practically raised her. 
Okay, we done with introductions now? Good.
"Hmmm…" I said, thinking of a place to eat. I glanced down and saw the lights of a town ahead. "There! We can stop there."
Gazzy and Nudge cheered, and then we tilted a bit and started to descend slowly. We hadn't seen any Erasers or any other horrible-scientist people chasing after us in a day or tow. A record for us! We always had to be high-alert when going into a town…or really…we were always on high-alert. 
All of us tucked in our wings and landed on the outskirts of the small desert town. I glanced at everyone, then nodded a little and walked down the streets.
"Oh!! A Mexican restaurant!!" Nudge squealed happily. "I knew there was going to be one!! I just knew it!! Oh, Max?! Can I please, please, please have some chips and salsa? And maybe fried ice cream!! I've never had one of those!!"
I laughed a little. "Sure, Nugde…let's go. Remember, stay alert guys."
Everyone nodded and they followed me as I walked into the Mexican restaurant, lit dimly with red and green lights, foreign music playing in the background. We sat at a table, close to the window, away from the doors, and in the very back. I dug into my pockets, getting out all the cash I had out and counting it under the table. Ouch. This might be our last time eating out for a while. We'd be going back to hand-caught rodents tomorrow.
…don't give me that disgusted look.
"What would you like to drink?" the waitress asked, looking bored. I could tell she couldn't wait to go home.
I sighed a little. "Uh, all waters…"
She nodded and walked away, then we all took our menus out, looking at them with our mouths watering. Mmm…Mexican food, I have to say, was awesome.
After we ordered and our food came, we chowed down big time. We had to keep passing each other napkins and as I ate my taco, I kept and eye on the windows and doors. Truthfully, Texas was a pretty creepy place at night. Especially in small towns where barely any streetlights were. And where anyonecould be…
That's when I saw shadows cross the dimly-lit street and enter into the restaurant. I tensed up and Fang instantly noticed what I did, making him tense up a bit also. I tapped Iggy's hand twice (it's like our super-quiet-secret code) and he nodded a little, but stayed silent, eating. He did the same to Nudge and Gazzy, and they pretended not to notice anything. Angel…well she already knew what was going on. Yeah, she can kinda read minds. What? I never mentioned that before?
I looked back over and saw that three, very handsome men had sat down at a table on the other side of the room. There were barely any of people here, except my flock…and them.
They all looked over at the same time. I didn't look away, and as soon as one of them moved a fraction of an inch, Iggy, Nudge, Gazzy, and Angel were on their feet running towards the back door. Fang and I stood up to fight them if necessary. And, of course…it was.
One of them lunged forward and ran at us, jumping over tables skillfully. We ducked and he flew into the wall, yelling and hitting it hard. 
The other two ran at us, but we were already out the door. The others had already taken flight to the sky. I smiled a bit, glad they were trained well.
As I glanced behind me, they morphed in front of my eyes into furry, hideous, wolf-like beasts.
Erasers.
I snapped my wings out and flew up, but an Eraser grabbed my ankle and yanked me back to the ground. He threw me hard on the cement parking lot. I gasped a little in surprise, the wind knocked out of me. I jumped up quick, wincing a little but in good condition. The same Eraser lunged at me and growled, teeth bared. I ducked and kicked it in the chest, hearing a satisfying crack as a couple ribs cracked. 
Fang was already in the sky and I ran and jumped, flapping my wings and following him. It was pitch black now, so it was easy for all of us to disappear into the night.
But, dangit!! Why did the Erasers have to ruin everything for us?! Sheesh…
Fang looked at me with his dark eyes, as if telling me: Now where?
I sighed, thinking. "Where to guys?"
The flock looked at me, then Nudge gasped. "NEW YORK CITY!!!"
Everyone turned their gaze to her, confused. "What?"
Nudge shrugged. "I dunno, why not? I've always wanted to go there!"
I laughed a little. We never really planned where we went anyways. Why not? "The Big Apple then…"


© 2010 Brittany


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

That was pretty darn good! I really like it! You should check out mine. Oh and for the dialog, I recommend making new paragraphs for each new speaker so the writing is easily distinguishable. It also makes the piece appear more neat as a whole. It looks really big and there are no paragraphs so it is very bulky. I am not being mean or anything I am trying to help my fellow writers become better at their passion. Other than the dialog and paragraph issues it was great. Check mine out and review. Thanks!

~Kitty

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

431 Views
1 Review
Added on October 12, 2010
Last Updated on October 12, 2010
Tags: fanfiction, fan, fiction, Maximum Ride, Ride, Maximum, James, Patterson, James Patterson, teen, adult, young adult, 9-11, September 11th, 2001, New York City, NYC