Mirror, Mirror

Mirror, Mirror

A Poem by Brooklyn

Mirror, mirror on the wall

Who’s the fairest of them all?

It can’t possibly be me

Don’t you see what I see?

I see a monster inside myself.

I see regrets and mistakes

That will never be erased

No matter what price I pay

 

Mirror, mirror on the wall

Who’s the fairest of them all?

Can’t you see?

All your praise is choking me.

The Fairest! It can’t be!

Surely anyone is more worthy.

If only you’d seen my evil deeds

Whose silhouettes still haunt me

 

Mirror, mirror on the wall

Who’s the fairest of them all?

Mirror, Mirror now you must see

The fairest one was never me

And the fairest one I never will be

© 2012 Brooklyn


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love it, again great job, I love the fact that this is off of snow white, one of my favorites ^_^

Posted 11 Years Ago


this is an amazing poem that just drools emotion, personalization, and the ability to relate. I honestly love this because it was your own twist on a popular fairy tale clause.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Ok. You already have some fine suggestions from other reviewers, but I'll toss in my two cents worth anyway. Your poem is easy to read and comprehend. Some poems found here in the Cafe are so convoluted and esoteric it takes two Masters and a Doctorate to figure it out. But, to me, poetry is just another form of communication. If your communication is understandable then you have been successful. Your poem displays a humble attitude and good character. As we get older we should endeavor to cultivate more self-esteem and confidence. We may not be the best or fairest, but we're certainly not the worst, either!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Great poem, very well written, awesome.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is awesome. Good work. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Nice twist, I enjoyed this one.
The emotion and uncertainty is literally radiating off of this piece of writing. You almost sound like you're battling your reflection in pitched combat! Keep up with writing things like that as they always display a remarkable adventure as to who will win and how.
You firstly mention your regrets and sorrows and how the monster is literally leaking out of you...but how the mirror doesn't show it. Realization then dawns that it's not literally leaking...oh but it must be! Or mustn't it?
Then you state how the reflection you see is a gift of praise. You definitely aren't dissapointed with the reflection you stare at so often (as I'm sure you shouldn't be) but that everytime you look at it, you can see past it. Every dark thing shines back at you like the sun and it seems like it's a wonder how it doesn't show on your physical appearance. But wait! Why should it!? Or should it not?
Is there a sense of humble to the peom? Almost like you know your dark deeds overpower your others and you don't deserve the reflection upon which you stare?
You do say that others are surely more worthy, but truth is Brooklyn, they aren't. Turns out we all make mistakes that some how balance ourselves out.
Or do they? After all, is karma doing it's job? Do nice people really finish last, or first?
But now this adds a perspective thing to your poem: youre an unworthy person and you know it, but you know your face hasn't altered with the deeds you've performed, by should it? It certainly seems FAIR, but is that what you would want?
Anyway, back to the perspective of first hand: "Whose silhouettes still haunt me" that is a marvelous line as everything about it continues to launch meaning into your mind long after it has flowed through your inner eye. Very nicely done.
Back to the reflection: as you roll right into the conclusion, you seem to come up with a decision, a decision of how you truly feel. The decision states that you know you aren't worthy and that you never will be. It brings the whole idea of combat down in a nice, easy, harmless, and quite beautiful way.
All in all, very nice poem with a great meaning and way of displaying your thoughts.
I really enjoyed how it made me think and hopefully i made you think in the same way:)


Posted 11 Years Ago


I see you, Brooklyn, this is you in this poem, you msy think it's just a poem, but this is how you feel. "Mirror, Mirror now you must see

The fairest one was never me

And the fairest one I never will be"

This is you saying you don;t think your pretty, AND YOU ARE! I don't know why I have to tell you this so much, you should believe it by now!

But, other than that, I love this :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Nice poem Brooklyn, I like it. I think this is a cool twisted version of the whole "mirror mirror on the wall, who is the fairest on of all?" from snow white. I also like this because of the whole 'pretty on the outside, nasty on the inside' thing. at least that's what I get out of it. Anyway, great poem and keep writing.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

158 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 30, 2012
Last Updated on May 30, 2012

Author

Brooklyn
Brooklyn

why do you want to know?, MA



About
I'm a fourteen year old girl that is now in her freshman year of highschool. wish me luck!. I'm awful at spelling, and I need to work on "down time" in stories. I also can't seem to write one book for.. more..

Writing
But Not But Not

A Poem by Brooklyn


Nightmares Nightmares

A Poem by Brooklyn


Insanity Insanity

A Story by Brooklyn



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Twigs and Dogs Twigs and Dogs

A Chapter by Amanda


Two Two

A Chapter by Amanda


Devon Devon

A Poem by Amanda