Disillusioned

Disillusioned

A Poem by Chris Shaw

I watched our world through pale pink hues
which lifted me, brought me delight.
I'd marvel at the glory seen,
was blind to all the ghouls of night.

But sadly I then grew in years
and drank from waters of life's well,
with clearer vision I saw vice
that makes this earth a torrid hell.

The more I searched the more I found,
the havoc caused by human hands.
Sad innocents who have no say
who perish as the grains of sand


slip through the timer of my life.
What faith I had when I was young
has dissipated in the sun
along with all the hymns once sung.

The hymns I sang in thankful praise,
those hymns I sang through my own choice
for Him I loved but do not hear.
I do not hear his absent voice.

© 2019 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Ah Chris once those rose tinted spectacles have lost their tint we see things for what they are. And being one who is an anti creationist (I used to to do the weekly mass thingy!) I see no god waiting to pronounce our everlasting joy at his side. You capture a tone in this one that conveys sadness amd disappointment, although I sense you have more hope than this lets on.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts here John. I appreciate your visit.

Chris



Reviews

I can feel that disillusionment, the despair the sadness, it’s not a perfect world nor is it safe in man’s hands.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you for your visit Andrew, your thoughts are much appreciated. Have a good week-end :)
Chris - the questions you raise I suppose are eternal. More, or less along those lines I wrote a short story, posted here "Strange Visitor". The visitor is Death and he and the man discuss, I believe, some of the issues you raise. You might enjoy it - I hope.

Take care - Dave

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks Dave. I will have to pay you a visit and read. Hope all is good with you and your family.. read more
Dave

5 Years Ago

Thank you and it is thank God.

Take care =- Dave
Un fortunately Chris, Christians are the last ones to find out they've been had, the secret is to dive in and enjoy, good poem

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks gram for your thoughts and visit. Much appreciated.

Chris
A brilliant poem that questions Faith or should I say man-made religions. There is a difference between the two. Religion too often has been used to control and subjugate ( nothing to do with God ). Faith on the other hand would be to believe in something you can't see.
As a product of the 60's I questioned religion as a useless tool long past any relevance and yet I maintained a belief in a Supreme Being. I now regularly attend a Baptist church and I find my old beliefs still bubble close to the surface.

The world needs to remember that we may not believe in God...but he still believes in us.

A good write, Chris...keep listening.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks Ted for your thoughts. My ears are always open.

Chris
The wonder of rose-tinted glasses. How they really do cloud or vision and judgement at times. Beautifully expressed, heartfelt poem. That so many can understand and relate to.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks Dawn for your visit. Most appreciated.

Chris
I too do not hear the voice of the church i had rammed down my throat and was indoctrinated in; but faith is there of a different kind now i must admit, although it has no name i know in has purpose.
Maybe in this more enlightened and free world we dare to make our own decisions now and have no fear of a mighty force condemning us to burn in hell ?


Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Stella, interesting to hear your views.

Chris
This is a time when many are forsaking their faith and belief. We question life more now than ever before and it is only right to do so. Yet, there are times of despondency when I really want to believe. Knowing everything, we still wish to believe. A beautifully written poem Chris, with great rhyme and meter and awesome emotion felt in every verse.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Dear DIVYA, you have interpreted my lines so well. There are indeed times when I envy those who do b.. read more
DIVYA

5 Years Ago

I agree...those with unshakable faith are usually blissful, less lonely and even healthier in ways. .. read more
Oh...well then you do know...haha. The amount of faith it takes to believe in any deity or grand architect when the destructive aspects of our own illusions and destructive natures overwhelm, well it is in itself overwhelming...The voice in this poem seems to want that innocence back as well as the truth...well put but i wish you had spent another stanza on where you now lay your head and accept this truth of life for what all beauty is ..tainted and tarnished with stories and lesions...some more wonderful than others. We tend to overlook the good when we go searching but it is out there and given the choice for seeing the bad well..you can surely find that in a heartbeat. Nature again and I am glad you are kindred spirit in that reflection as well. thank you for the honesty Chris!!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

An oldie from the archives my friend when I was in quite a negative frame of mind. Not so today, I s.. read more
Perdition

5 Years Ago

I have a few myself...as I do recall. A pleasure and you are most welcome.
stark and poignant. good flow with deep sentiment but coming from a place of disappointment and sadness. faith can be a fickle thing. confusion not a good state to be in. on the bright side, perhaps there is a greater purpose that hasn't fully manifested yet. silence can be golden. i can fully relate. no answer could be an answer or a call to more faith ... :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks Pete for your visit and consideration of these words. How right you are, faith can be fi.. read more
Hello, Christine! :)
This has lovely rhythm and rhyme, a great read.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you mattavelli. I appreciate your visit and thoughts.

Chris

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

502 Views
21 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 12, 2019
Last Updated on March 12, 2019

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Payback Payback

A Poem by Chris Shaw