Disillusioned

Disillusioned

A Poem by Chris Shaw

I watched our world through pale pink hues
which lifted me, brought me delight.
I'd marvel at the glory seen,
was blind to all the ghouls of night.

But sadly I then grew in years
and drank from waters of life's well,
with clearer vision I saw vice
that makes this earth a torrid hell.

The more I searched the more I found,
the havoc caused by human hands.
Sad innocents who have no say
who perish as the grains of sand


slip through the timer of my life.
What faith I had when I was young
has dissipated in the sun
along with all the hymns once sung.

The hymns I sang in thankful praise,
those hymns I sang through my own choice
for Him I loved but do not hear.
I do not hear his absent voice.

© 2019 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Ah Chris once those rose tinted spectacles have lost their tint we see things for what they are. And being one who is an anti creationist (I used to to do the weekly mass thingy!) I see no god waiting to pronounce our everlasting joy at his side. You capture a tone in this one that conveys sadness amd disappointment, although I sense you have more hope than this lets on.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts here John. I appreciate your visit.

Chris



Reviews

oooooooo.... I really like this and the message! Well done!!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Welcome to my page JB. I appreciate your visit and your response. Many thanks.

Chris
Well captured. It was ever thus. The more we know... The more we know...

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much Ron. I appreciate your thoughts and your visit this evening. All good wishes.
read more
Chris, The Lady of Berkshire,
As a person of faith I find this poem both sad and yet truthful . . . as so often happens . . . a faith is lost, but beautifully remembered. When the world is looked at directly, its darkness almost blinds the light! One's theology is not important here (though I do have a theology). Faith is fragile . . . the world is not! Faith is mostly finite in the human sense; the evil in the world does seem infinite. Yet, evil doers are just as blind to goodness as 'good' people whose faith is suddenly (or slowly) blinded by the darkness. All are blind until the light overtakes the darkness on one of those mornings you allude to in this honest and beautiful poem. Remember: Darkness is just the absence of light. Faith is just the belief that no matter what . . . the light is stronger. Thanks for hearing this.
Tom

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Dear Tom, thank you so much for sharing with me your thoughts. I appreciated that very much. I do re.. read more
kentuck14

5 Years Ago

hope so, Chris. In the mean time keep writing those good poems.
Tom
An interesting rendition. I gave up on religion and god at a very early age.
I also wonder about the aspect of life and the final result, no matter what.
I have and do enjoy life, but what a strange short-lived entity.
You have tipped over a can-o-worms.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thanks Dave. A can of worms eh? I appreciate your thoughts on this poem. Always good to see you visi.. read more
His voice is ever present even when we grow disillusioned. We should be disillusioned with this world. It is not our home. I think in our disillusion, we share His sadness with how things worked out to be. Thankfully, we do have a new way home. A path that isn't at all disillusioned. One full of hope and promise. Let us find our vision in Him and redirect all of those disillusioned to the same path. I enjoy your work. I find a similar voice to my own. I'm glad to have met you here.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much Margie. I am pleased for your visit and thank you for sharing your views. All good.. read more
I like how you said absent voice like it was never there at all. What a sad story you painted with this like all innocence was stripped away as realized what the world was like. True, but sad. I hope you found some faith. Thanks for sharing!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks Ryan for your response. Your visit most appreciated.

Chris
we do feel that absence at times...as we grow up that wonderful innocence and naivety wear off.
Welcome to the real world...as kids we are not prejudice, we learn it from what we see...
We think religion is what will save us, but then we get jaded..we fall away...
I have gone through this, as we all do, and those rose colored glasses shatter.
This grips the reader...
j.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks Jacob. It is all part of growing up, but when those rose tinted specs fail us, it hurts... read more
The more I live, the less I know. My grandfather had a wise saying. At eighteen, we know everything. At thirty, we learn we need to learn more. At fifty, we understand what life is and what we missed. At seventy, we accept who we are. Become thankful for the chance to had lived. I enjoyed your thoughts dear Chris. Made me think this morning.
Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Coyote. Your response is full of wisdom. I appreciate your thoughts.

Chris
In our innocent picture learning years, the visions of life circle around the animations and influences of the parents, people and geographic location. As we grow in wisdom and insight - cruel realities confront and challenge our beliefs - but we must not allow these to crumble our faith! For;
Galatians 6:9 - 'Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary.'
Great share my friend - makes the reader stop and ponder the 'WHY' of things - kudos... :-)

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Phill for sharing your thoughts and the quote from Galatians. Pleased you enjoyed the read.. read more

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

502 Views
21 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 12, 2019
Last Updated on March 12, 2019

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..