The extravagance of ordinary...

The extravagance of ordinary...

A Poem by An owl on the moon
"

Can any day ever really be just common?

"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Walked slow and watched the sunrise

Light from 93 million miles drifting by

Took that glimmer eight minutes to kiss my cheek

Stood still while riding the carnival Earth

A journey through space over 66,000 miles per hour

My heart racing now at 40,000,000 beats a year

About three billion beats in a lifetime

So true… every beat is for you

Just in these moments we’ve shared here

Some 50,000 cells in our bodies died

And new cells were reborn to dance

A fresh blanket of skin every month

New skeleton rattling every three months

In a world of miracles and moments

There really is nothing ordinary, is there

Flying through space on this big blue marble…

 

© 2010 An owl on the moon


Author's Note

An owl on the moon
Every day is a miracle... No... every breath... Each winter there are about 1 septillion (1, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000 or a trillion trillion) snow crystals that drop from the sky... Wonders never cease, we just need to keep our eyes open for them...

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

ah!Craig how i love this poem which celebrates life...
such a complex theme and you put it in words that almost every reader can relate to...it is so easy to simply drift by through life and ignore how it manifests itself in its maximum glory even in simple elements..you can feel extreme bliss even while doing something as simple as unlocking the door of your house..you just have to be in a concious state of being...
extremely well written craig...any amount of encomium showered for this write is not enough.thank you.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Oh -This is such a wonderful piece! I love how you have combined these numbers/facts with your lovely words - and in doing so have created a poem that is unique, creative, informative and beautiful. It is a great reminder to open our eyes to these miracles that inevitably surround us and to also appreciate everything in life and life itself. :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


Ah. I seriously favorite this. This is so very unique and creative. I have never read anything like this.

" There really is nothing ordinary, is there

Flying through space on this big blue marble"

That is such a perfect closing line. I share you same sentiment. It's kinda like the phrase " life is not measured by the breathes we take but by the moments that take our breath away". Good job.

Posted 14 Years Ago


My favourite of yours,

'Stood still while riding the carnival Earth'

Fantastic. You gave me with that one line a new way of looking at the world. If I see differently now, it's because of this write. Masterfully written, as usual, but it is the thought your words express that is exceptional.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Stood still while riding the carnival Earth .oH THAT IS SOO TRUE IT SCARES ME .fOR THIS EARTH IS THE LAST REFUGE of THE ILLITERATE Thankfully I worry not as I know you will pass on the ability to read and write to your own if no others

Posted 14 Years Ago


I really enjoyed this!! Great work! :)


Posted 14 Years Ago


This is creative and wonderful to read (though you have a habit of writing work that one is happy to have read). I do see one typo... "40,000 beat" instead of beats a year.
There are certainly wonders all around, and all we have to do to see them is try for one moment to see as a child again... :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


scientific...this piece is a miracle...

Posted 14 Years Ago


I embrace the miracle of moments and this piece was a beautiful one.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I read this earlier and decided today to come back to it. I have a mentor whom I depend on - and this work is him. Constantly I call upon him and constantly he wishes me something ordinary - your work was like being in the same room with him - up lifting.
As far as the work itself - difficult to put hard cold facts in verse but you have succeeded. You have reminded me I rarely look at the same human being twice.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1495 Views
40 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on March 28, 2010
Last Updated on September 3, 2010

Author

An owl on the moon
An owl on the moon

About
2024 is here... May we make it so much more heaven than hell... Wishing all peace on earth... Together, maybe we go the distance... The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..