The Day After

The Day After

A Story by Constance-Outspoken
"

500 words group entry

"
Two cerulean eyes groggily surveyed the room: gold satin sheets, downy comforter, linen wallpaper, fine mahogany furnishings... Lydia was certainly not at home. Then, of course, she remembered, and beamed. Her eyes traveled to the man beside her, who was obviously still in the throes of deep sleep, perhaps dreaming- so still and silent, peaceful.

The day before had been one of the greatest days of her life, even if that thought was exceptionally cliche. Lydia meant the thought, heart and soul. She was married to her soul-mate, now. Everything from now on was going to be gravy. Together, they would make a home, a future for themselves, a family.

In a heap on the tan carpet laid a crumpled white three thousand dollar dress, elegant, embroidered, laden with man-made pearls. The white satin pumps were strewn across the room in a tangle with the parts of a tuxedo.

The man she loved uttered not a sound as Lydia arose from bed to attend to herself. Today, the day after the first day of the rest of her life, she wanted to spend looking almost as amazing as she had the day before. They had planned so many exciting things... she really wanted to curl back up into bed against Blake's skin, though.
 
Yesterday, Lydia finally had had the feeling her mother was proud of her, found her beautiful, wanted everyone to know that she was the mother of the bride. Having spent her entire life trying to please Ellen Hinkle, it left Lydia with twin emotions: satisfaction and ire. She glowed with pride and wanted to slap her mother, all at once.

The entire ceremony and reception had gone without a hitch, yesterday. Everything was elegant, beautiful, perfect. The old church had never been so filled with luxury, nor had life, for that matter. Wanting for nothing more, Lydia had fallen into the best sleep she had ever had the night before, and now she felt amazing. Fate was, at long last, no longer the enemy.

After her shower, and her makeup, and dressing in a nice crisp new casual set, Lydia looked back at Blake. She had assumed he would awaken by now.

"Darling, are you still in dreamland? I am too, though I'm awake."
No answer came. Lydia debated allowing her husband to sleep a little longer, but their plans would fail miserably for the day if she didn't awaken him now, so at last she resigned herself, and neared his side of the bed. He hadn't moved a muscle since she'd awakened, actually.

Lydia's hand brushed the nape of a very chilly neck, ran down a frigid and rigid spine, and the world ended for her in that moment. Lydia Jenkins became a widow the day after her wedding, and it's been said that she remained one for the rest of her life.

© 2010 Constance-Outspoken


Author's Note

Constance-Outspoken
My weekly entry into Bette's new group, 500 words. She gives the title, a new one every week, and we all write 500 words or less to the title. An interesting exercise.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Okay, so far...I've killed off a bride to be with a train and you've killed off a husband to be with (I don't know; sex maybe?) lol But we should hook those two up! They are certainly having bad luck in the romance department! lol This was good sustained writing; enjoyed.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is great! I love the shock of the end! At first, I'll admit, this seemed a little too cotton-candy sweet. But the balance of the happiness and sadness (especially when it creeps up on you) is wonderful here!
Great job!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Argh! What a chilling ending! Wow that was really creative and well thought out. Though really dark! Loved it!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Excellent story, your description is amazing. I could actually see through her eyes. Very talented, good job.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is quite shocking and chilling. I don't think I would want to wake up next to the person I love being dead. The details in this story are amazing. It held my attention till the very last word. I think her mother poisoned him??? Great story.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Okay, so far...I've killed off a bride to be with a train and you've killed off a husband to be with (I don't know; sex maybe?) lol But we should hook those two up! They are certainly having bad luck in the romance department! lol This was good sustained writing; enjoyed.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

oh no! that would be the worst wouldn't it? i love it, the wording was wonderful ! well done!!!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

174 Views
6 Reviews
Added on March 10, 2010
Last Updated on March 10, 2010

Author

Constance-Outspoken
Constance-Outspoken

Who wants to know where I am, when who I am is all that matters?, KS



About
Meh. I write crap. I write crap because I've always been alone. more..

Writing