Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by crazysox
"

Are you my mother?

"

Chapter 1

It is a breezy spring day on June 23rd, with a high of 87 degrees and a low of 61 degrees, if the weatherman was right last Sunday. I awaken to the song of a White-eyed Vireo, commonly found in Eastern United States and Northern Mexico. The White-eyed Vireo’s song is a variable and rapid six to seven note phrase, starting and ending with a sharp chick. I shake my head, trying to forget the random tidbits and questionable facts that can be found on Wikipedia when bored. Note to self: With the ability to remember everything, surfing the web is not a good idea and only leads to confusion.

I pull out my bunny slippers from beneath the bed. Without looking, I know that the right  bunny’s left eye fell off when I stubbed my toe against the bed post three years, seven months, and two days ago. I also know that the string that held it on is still sitting beneath my dresser on the other side of the room. As I walk down the stairs, I wonder if and when I will ever retrieve that thread and throw it away.

I’m having my usual jam, toast, and orange juice for breakfast. I pick up five of the seven crumbs that fell from the toast on its way from the plate to the table, because the other two crumbs slide under the fridge. I glance out the window to see Mr. Remigio’s Lexus GS450H pull out of his driveway. I’m about to finish off my orange juice when the phone rings. On the third brrrring! I pick it up.

“Hello?” I ask. The caller ID is unfamiliar so it’s probably someone trying to scam me, but it’s not like I have anything better to do than talk to them.

“Hello, is this the Aubrey residence?” A gruff voice on the other end says.

“Yes. May I ask who is calling?”

“I am Mister Steve Baion from Memoir Stones Incorporate, Ms. Aubrey! Set to seal your memories in stone! We take the most precious memories and etch them onto diamonds, rubies, emeralds, pearls, and more! And we’re looking for you, Ms. Aubrey!” Steve Baion says ‘Ms.’ as though it is spelled ‘Mizz’. It reminds me of a man I met in Paris when I was nineteen and went on vacation to France for twelve days. Unfortunately, it was a very rainy twelve days.

“And just what does Memoir Stones have to do with me?” I ask, suspicious.

“We’re set out to make a world wonder, Ms. Aubrey! A world wonder made of your memories! Since you’re the last living person with hyperthymesia, it only makes sense that we make it out of your life! It would be the work of decades, and the marvel of centuries! An amazing tourist attraction! Just think of it, Ms. Aubrey! A giant stone wall, filled with every single detail of your life!”

“I’m thinking about it, and I don’t like it. Goodbye.” I say, already bored with the conversation. Thinking back, there have been thousands of companies, con artists, and businessmen over the fifty-three years of my life looking to make a profit off of my hyperthymesia.

“But, Ms. Aubrey, your memories are-“ I hang up before he can finish his sentence, knowing exactly what he is going to say. That my memories are precious. That my memories are amazing. That I shouldn’t pass up a chance like this. That’s what everyone says. Unless the conversation is with someone I know personally, every conversation I have on the phone ends with something about my ‘amazing’ memory. I’m sick and tired of it.

With a sigh, I return to the table and pick up the newspaper. ‘LOCAL ASYLUM TRANSFERS PATIENTS’ the headline reads. I remember what the story is; it was in the newspaper last week, just not on the front page. The neighborhood built a new psychiatric hospital and patients should be transferring there today.

Hearing the doorbell ring, I walk twelve steps to the door and open it. A man is standing there in Levi’s jeans, a grey hoody, and Nike sneakers. He has black hair, brown eyes, and a nervous face.

“Yes?” I ask the man. He looks like he’s in his early twenties.

“Are you my mother?”



© 2011 crazysox


Author's Note

crazysox
Thanks for the great reviews, everyone! Please review this chapter, as well!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This story idea is so creative and fresh. I have never even heard of Hyperthymesia before and that drew my curiosity to read it.
I totally get how you add all these little details to show the main character's special 'ability' -if I may call it that way. But, you might both be a tad bit overdoing and under-doing (I know that's not a real word! You get my point, though, right?) it with all the details. For example, the White-eyed Vireo and Wikipedia part was overdoing it. Also, you haven't yet introduced us to the protagonists. What does she look like? How old is she? And her house? Her bedroom? Her kitchen? And how about the mysterious boy that claims to be her son? Besides being in his early 20s.
Anyways, I really liked how you introduced us to Hyperthymesia. It was a clean, sleek way to have her think of little details about memories, and then the man from Memoir Stones Inc. And I love your writing style. It's direct, yet not too much so. I have to admit, I'm a person that gets bored easily, but you managed to keep me interested (which is quite a feat, mind you).
Well done, you! Now I'm off to the next chapter!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.



Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Reviews

Can't believe I only decide to review this now, haha, haven't had time in the past couple days. Anyways, nicely written, greatly detailed, and the idea of the story is creative!
Very interesting story, and I do hope you can finish this one!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You're an excellent writer and I really do love the idea of this story. How did you think something so creative up? Great spelling, grammar, and continuity. I was both interested and impressed.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This story idea is so creative and fresh. I have never even heard of Hyperthymesia before and that drew my curiosity to read it.
I totally get how you add all these little details to show the main character's special 'ability' -if I may call it that way. But, you might both be a tad bit overdoing and under-doing (I know that's not a real word! You get my point, though, right?) it with all the details. For example, the White-eyed Vireo and Wikipedia part was overdoing it. Also, you haven't yet introduced us to the protagonists. What does she look like? How old is she? And her house? Her bedroom? Her kitchen? And how about the mysterious boy that claims to be her son? Besides being in his early 20s.
Anyways, I really liked how you introduced us to Hyperthymesia. It was a clean, sleek way to have her think of little details about memories, and then the man from Memoir Stones Inc. And I love your writing style. It's direct, yet not too much so. I have to admit, I'm a person that gets bored easily, but you managed to keep me interested (which is quite a feat, mind you).
Well done, you! Now I'm off to the next chapter!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

483 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 5, 2011
Last Updated on August 5, 2011
Tags: chapter, one, are, you, my, mother, peter, jolie, hyperthymesia


Author

crazysox
crazysox

DC



About
NOTE: My featured story is almost always my most recent one. PLEASE read that one first, my older works are probably not that good! I'm a 14-year-old writer who's always dreamed of becoming the aut.. more..

Writing
Flaming Rings Flaming Rings

A Story by crazysox


Remember? Remember?

A Story by crazysox