He Kept It to Himself

He Kept It to Himself

A Poem by D.T.

He keeps it to himself.
He doesn't want to rely on anyone else.
Or maybe, he doesn't want to hurt anyone else.
Whichever it is, he keeps it to himself. 

He wears longer sleeves, no shorts though,
and makes up excuses about the bruises on his face.
"Oh yea, I just fell."

But it's becoming harder and harder.
He's running out of things to say.
How can he keep this a secret much longer?
He doesn't know how much more his body can take.

Then one day,
his father says "Son, 
where have you been,
you missed dinner, you're home late again."
That's the final straw...his father's had enough.
His son is now gone...he wasn't that tough.

Because he kept it to himself, 
what happened behind those walls were buried with the boy one afternoon that fall. 
 

© 2015 D.T.


Author's Note

D.T.
When I wrote this, I just had an idea in my head about a boy being abused and went with it. Then, after I finished and read it, I realized why I really wrote it. The idea was being driven from a situation that happened with a friend of mine. I just want people to know how serious abuse is and you should always speak up about it because it could mean someone's life.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is really good! I myself like to write about abuse, not because it is a good thing but because it is important for people to know there is a way out. That there is help. I really felt your words and I feel like you have great potential!!! keep on writing :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


really nice it flows along really well

Posted 8 Years Ago


D.T.

8 Years Ago

Thanks! (:
Your words should never be deleted... I like it you create a good story and imagery. So many people in this world bottle things in and keep it to themselves rather than express it. Good work :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


D.T.

8 Years Ago

Thank you!
I liked this poem and don't think it should be deleted... our writing has away of gelling and forming itself into new meaning the longer we allow it to germinate and grow. Give this some time and I believe you will see the value and worthiness of the attempt if nothing else. I think it carries some weight. There is truth in your words and the feelings conveyed are common to many. Nice job.

~peace, Todd

Posted 8 Years Ago


D.T.

8 Years Ago

Thank you!! I'm glad you liked it!
How many keep it to themselves? This is a tragedy we hear about all too often and you have done justice bringing to light the consequences of abuse in the home. A sad reality, indeed. Well-done! Thanks to Alf for RR this to me!

Posted 8 Years Ago


D.T.

8 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and for the review. I really appreciate it!
I am so sorry for your loss and the pain, that you shared this shows real courage and strength. If you are able, please keep this poem here so others might see and realize the pain thats caused when they go through something and don't speak. No one should have to suffer this, ...can't help thinking and hoping that at least now wherever the boy may be he is in a better place, no pain, no suffering, and because you share his story you give his life meaning. In a way, through you, his life is able to help others. ..If I could wish on a wishing star I'd wish no child in this world would have to suffer these kinds of scars. Please keep writing!

Posted 8 Years Ago


D.T.

8 Years Ago

Thank you. That means a lot.
this is wonderful. this is something real. writing needs to be more like this. its not "perfect" but thats the beauty to me, it only helps further convey the raw emotional power and realism of the piece

Posted 8 Years Ago


D.T.

8 Years Ago

Thanks lots! (:
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
alf
Hi D.T. You, my friend, have a very great talent!!! this is for real, this is raw and emotional and something you have seen or suffered, I know . . . cos I've been there!!!! Please, send me a read request every time you post!!!! alf

Posted 8 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
D.T.

8 Years Ago

Ok! And it was actually inspired from a friend of mine I knew since elementary school... Thanks for .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

415 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 14, 2015
Last Updated on May 22, 2015
Tags: sadness, abuse

Author

D.T.
D.T.

Writing
Space Space

A Poem by D.T.


You You

A Poem by D.T.



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Untitled Untitled

A Poem by Mara


You You

A Poem by Robert


As I Sit As I Sit

A Poem by Robert