The Walk

The Walk

A Story by Lizzy
"

inspired by a mixture of my great grandfather I never met and a post secret picture

"

Victor left for work earlier than usual on that overcast Monday. His beautiful wife and two children watched him walk down the street. He walked tall and proud, a disguise he wore for the benefit of his family. As he turned the corner to walk through the park his posture changed. His shoulders were slumped with the weight of his family's need and his beat up briefcase hung from one hand. He hated his job, it was menial and all an uneducated immigrant like him could do. He followed the paved path through the trees, each step bringing his spirit down more.

As he strolled through the quiet tree line pathway, he daydreamed. Even since arriving in America from Austria, he's done nothing but support his family. His family is still incredibly close, even as his younger brother became a lawyer and his younger sister married a wealthy man. He is proud of his siblings and misses his parents every day. But he still wonders if there is more to life, more than just a supporting role.

He stops his walk and looks around, amazed at the quiet and the beauty of the trees in the craziness of Chicago. As he looks at the trees he starts to remember the boat ride across the ocean, a boat ride that was suppose to bring him to a new and better life. He remembers how much the boat rocked and how his dreams where interrupted by caring for his little sisters.

As he continues down the paved pathway lined with trees, he reminisces on his past. He smiles at the memory of the glimmer of excitement in his families eyes as they crossed the Canadian border into America. His smile grows wider at the memory of marrying his beautiful wife. As he remembers the birth of his son and then his daughter, his posture straightens. The memory of his brother's graduation from law school, his shoulders are thrown back. With each step and another happy memory, he realizes that his life may not been as he dreamed but he certainly is blessed. He goes through his work day, eager to get back home.

© 2013 Lizzy


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
SSB
I like this little piece of life of an early immigrant to the US.
"With each step and another happy memory, he realizes that his life may not been as he dreamed but he certainly is blessed." I find this sentence beautiful and comforting.

Posted 10 Years Ago


A nice write about the joy people having the chance to live in the USA, Although I must say, Austria is not that bad either, I live in Germany a few miles from the Austrian border, and I love Vienna. A good write !

Posted 10 Years Ago


And that's what it is all about. Sure your life may not resemble your neighbors, but living in America you can make your dreams happen, what ever they might be. Children have it better than than their parents. Good write. Stick with it!

Posted 10 Years Ago


This's reallly a great write, i was when readin' this piece, i was wishin' that plz...god, it shouldn't be "boring'"...lol, and after read i don;t think it's a borin' write, in a mypoint of view, it's really a great and a beautiful piece, it's i think about memories and good fella, who loves to be with his family, especially with his beautiful wife and his children.

you know what when i was readin' this piece, i 'd made some views of your charcters and view of strips wwhere he was goin' through. I can understand that such kinda pieces' come from our inner when we become lose in out past and think about our past days.....such kinda a good memories encourages' us to move and to live alon' the life withoud fear and without lie.....you'r this nice story shows us a new path to look at the ourself and move into a new world of life..........every fella wants to be happy and without a great and happy family where a pretty wife and nice kids are and live together without sorrow, but joy.......

it's really a great write, i liked this piece indeed, it;s a short piece n its saved my time after all....lol :) to read.
have this 98.100 :) for nice family.
and for your this writin' 99.1/100 :)

have a nice writin'
take care "Liz"...!

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 19, 2013
Last Updated on May 19, 2013

Author

Lizzy
Lizzy

Mesa, AZ



Writing
Dog Gone Lucky Dog Gone Lucky

A Story by Lizzy


Duke's Duty Duke's Duty

A Story by Lizzy