a burglar's prologue

a burglar's prologue

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto

a burglar's prologue



stringent enterprise
tightly drawn purse
lips chapped from nervous prose

there is an ending to the story
but the pages suck the breath
out of the author

chapters shed light in dark rooms
unoccupied by hope
shadows hide behind locked smiles

she used to laugh once
when she didn't know herself
now it's backwards mania

that bankrupts her amusement
and makes life
a vault, impenetrable

a safe she can no longer crack


erin-cilberto
3/25/17

© 2017 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I am not even going to attempt to interpret this very interesting piece ... I am sure there is a reason all yours that you chose to use the term burglar ...

Nine times out of ten, when someone burglarizes you and have drawn close to you, even if only for a short time in order to get to know you--all of which is directed at gaining access, inspection of probable inventory, and trust, to later betray that trust in lifting your possessions ...

I had my place of business burglarized back in 1991 ... I was well prepared for a burglar from without in the form of some stranger, having taken all kinds of protective precautions to hinder a potential burglar from entering the building ... What I did not count on was that a smart burglar will even go to work for you, hence knowing the layout, the security, and the business hours ... That said, an employee creatively found another way in that was far too simple for my complicated mind, and he cleaned me out, even taking the clock off the wall ... LOL! ...

There are other forms of burglary besides that of a home or a business ... There are those who will cleverly burglarize your mind, reaping trusted information from you to use to their advantage later ... Experienced some of that, too, in my life ...

At any rate, Burglary is a crime that I equate right up there with a lesser form of rape ... Because when it happens to you, especially by someone you trusted, you do feel violated, molested, fondled, invaded, and taken advantage of against your will ... It can really take some getting over, even though, to most, it is not that big a thing ... To me, it was ...

I really enjoyed this piece ... Wish I had written something this grand regarding the a*****e who cleaned me out years ago ...

Marv

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

i appreciate your story...and how you related to this metaphor...i like abstract because it allows f.. read more
What a sad tale of a broken life. Well crafted as always and plenty to digest.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you for your kind words, James.
j.
I found this poem of yours quite enigmatic and alluring... The last line felt quite powerful, and the poem, though not very long, didn't feel incomplete at all.
Sorry, I haven'y been active on cafe for over 2 years now, and i now realize i must've missed much..

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you so much for your kind words, Arjun--

j.
it is sad to watch that "mania" develop.. from the alive free spirit to the unlaughing vault with padded walls... she may be "safe" but is she alive?? and it seems this kind of mania also takes down all around her as well... no wonder the author can't breathe....

continuing with the metaphor, someone should lock up that burglar for everyones sake...

redzone

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you for your metaphorical response, Curt...you always put a smile on my face.

j.. read more
a price is to be paid for stealing hearts eh!? ;) lots of life's tragedy along her nefarious path ...but she is human after all...and i have to admit to a soft heart for second chances ... hoping she has learned her lesson :) another gem sir!
E.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you for your words, E.
j.
wow!!! I dont know what to make of this but one thing it is quite thought provoking. Loved it

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you, Cassie---:)))
how sad that not even she can unlock her heart...
very nice, Jacob

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you, Ana.

j.
An amazing bit of creation!
Could hardly be improved upon, Jacob.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you, Jimmy...appreciate your kindness.
j.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

192 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 27, 2017
Last Updated on March 27, 2017

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic