Forest Sounds

Forest Sounds

A Poem by Barbara Walker

When all the noise, the clamor,

the busyness of life,

weighs down upon my soul,

I long for the serenity that can be found,

high up in the mountains, among the majestic trees,

where I love to hear the forest sounds.

 

I happily exchange the raucousness of the cars

and the incessant ringing of the phone,

for the clamor of the squirrels,

the owl's solemn cries, the wind, as it moans

and the chorus of the crickets, singing lullaby's.

03/23/03 

 

© 2010 Barbara Walker


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Yes, this really resonates with me. During the stress-filled years of my corporate career, many times I wished for an escape like this. But I do realize now that I would have been miserable without creature comforts. But finding a place like this to drink in the peace is a lifesaver for many of us. Now that I'm retired, I can find just such peace in my own yard in the rural hills of north Monterey County. I lived in San Diego several times as a child since my dad was career Navy: Coronado, Chula Vista, Imperial Beach, Nestor. But Uncle Sam dumped us in the Midwest for Dad's last tour and it took me over 30 years to get back to California. I have not been back to San Diego though. Hope you are well. Kudos on your win.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Barbara Walker

10 Years Ago

Thank you! I didn't know I'd won until your review!
Lovely Barbara! I long to escape to the mountains and leave it all behind. I don't want to hear any modern sounds at all. Just the wind in the trees and the critters found there. Angi~

Posted 10 Years Ago


Barbara Walker

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Angi!
coloring represents of nature's beauty...deep msg. wonderful write..once again "walker" !100/100

Posted 10 Years Ago


I loved the color of the font and the structure! Oooh, I loved it! :D It was written amazingly well, with lovely descriptions. Your imagery was amazing, well done, Barbara! :D

Posted 10 Years Ago


Barbara Walker

10 Years Ago

Thank you!
A very pretty poem. Good description of a peaceful forest.


Posted 10 Years Ago


Barbara Walker

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much!
I was lucky. The Army took me on many field trips deep in the woods. You must become one with nature. I like the early mornings. The animal life was busy and you were allowed to become part of their world. Thank you for the amazing poem. Took me to a good place.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


just this morning i was sitting on a friend's porch listening to the forest sounds. and my spirit stilled. and i came away refreshed and relaxed. i would have liked to have read more about your visit to the woods but for a city dweller like me this is about all i do get to hear, and usually it has to be sun up or just before sundown. ... my porch sitting time. i love the phrase about the crickets singing lullabies. great word choice.

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is beautiful.

And I agree with you, the forests and woods are so much more beautiful than the city.

I often find myself longing to see the woods again, for I used to live by them.

Good job, you brought up many memories in me, and not often can people do that with a single piece of writing.

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

337 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 9, 2008
Last Updated on May 28, 2010

Author

Barbara Walker
Barbara Walker

Lake Havasu City, AZ



About
I am retired from the Postal Service. I find I write poetry to help myself through difficult times and I have written many poems in response to the chronic pain I've been living with for over 30 year.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


~Power~ ~Power~

A Poem by Robbie~xoxo~


Regrets Only Regrets Only

A Poem by Oceana