December 31st, 2012

December 31st, 2012

A Story by Richard McLin
"

Vincent wasn't looking for love, but fate had other plans.

"
I hate parties. Nine out the ten people here I don't know, and half of the people I do know, not really big fan of theirs. My friend Tony invited me said that he knew of a girl I would totally hit it off with, but I didn't feel women were important at the moment, but career. To which he told me I was full of it, and called in a favor just to get me to go.
December 31st, 2012 and I'm here in a room mostly populated by people I wouldn't stop and talk to if they were on the street. That is of course when I saw here. My heart literally stopped as I looked upon her. She was tall, long dark hair, and a beautifully understated dress. There was something goddess like about her and I knew she was something different that all us other mortals in the room.
How could this be happening? How could everything I believed in when I stepped into the party suddenly be out the window just by a glance at this siren? Only way to know for sure was to go up to her and speak. That is of course when Tony showed up with a woman who can only be described as John Merrick meets old lady from “The Shining”. Honestly she was probably a very nice and attractive girl, but after the woman I had just seen, it's was like Quasi Modo's sister.
“Vincent, I'd like for you to meet Trish, Trish this is my good friend of some numerable years now, Vincent Rafe.”
I shook her hand as my eyes scoured the room for my Ophelia.
“So how do you and Tony know each other?”
I looked over at Trish really quick, and decided it was time for her to go.
“I'm sorry Trish, but I can't do this. You seem a lovely person, and I hope you find what you need.” I kissed her hand, nodded at Tony, and went on the hunt.
As I traveled through the party I began fearing the worst. It was a large apartment, and very possible that I had just missed her, but I was honestly beginning to believe that she was no longer in my presence. I was, luckily, completely wrong as I felt a tap on my shoulder. As I turned to see who it was and getting ready to dismiss them, it turned out to be her.
“Hello.” I mustered.
She gave me a shy smile, and brushed some hair out of her face.
“Hello, I saw you talking to Tony, and you looked like someone interesting, so I thought I'd introduce myself.”
Out side I seemed cool and composed. Inside I was an Olympic gymnast trying to stick the landing of a triple somersault. 
“My name is Vincent.”
She took my hand. Her's was soft and felt gentle. In that instant I saw out entire lives. I saw marriage, kids, grand kids, retirement, and death. I saw a life full of highs and lows, and a life full of love. I saw a life most dream of, and some  never achieve. I'm always meeting people who say they married for love, but you can see in their eyes that they settled so they would not end it all alone, but our life was not going to be this. Just to be sure I was waiting for one more sign, and it didn't take long.
“Hello Vincent, my name is Ophelia.”
Richard McLin 2012

© 2012 Richard McLin


Author's Note

Richard McLin
Now that I'm trying to do more romance at the moment than thriller/horror. This is my newest attempt. Please read and review.

Loosely inspired by the song "Dice' By Finley Quaye and mixed by William Orbit.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I laughed out loud at the Quasimoto line. Perfect! You have a gift my friend. The sign of a good writer is to exact emotion from their reader. You've done that in this short piece. well done.

Posted 5 Years Ago


This was cute one... like a romantic comedy movie... There is some innocence and purity in this write ...It was really beautiful.... Thanks for sharing... Enjoyed...

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard McLin

6 Years Ago

Thanks for the review.
I wasn't sure what this would be about, I clicked on it because the 31st of December is a special day for me. I got into the story quickly. I could relate to the guy immediatly and how he doesn't fit in at parties like that. I like how you describe the woman in this. Each line is something new, it adds to the image that we already have of her. Creative indeed. I like the twist at the end where it was her who introduced herself to him. Nicely done! I did see several grammatical/spelling errors, but nothing that a quick read-thru won't fix. Thanks for sharing!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Richard McLin

11 Years Ago

Thank you for the great review.
Awww! Very sweet and sincere. The narrative voice is strong and romantic. I like the fact that it was inspired by a song too. Good write

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard McLin

11 Years Ago

Thanks for your great comment. Another one that was inspired by a song is "The Lovers Sign" If you h.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

757 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 11, 2012
Last Updated on November 11, 2012
Tags: Love, Fate, party, Apartment, New Years, New, Years, December, 2012, Pop Culture reference, Romance

Author

Richard McLin
Richard McLin

Salem, OR



About
I have been writing ever since I can remember. I can't live and not write, it's as essential as breath. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..