The Power Of Palms

The Power Of Palms

A Story by Zoya

    There were lines on his face, lines of books on his shelf, lines of customers outside his tent, lines on tree trunks beyond the silky walls of his tent, and so forth; but the lines that interested him the most were the ones on the palms of the lady sitting opposite to him. 
     "How now, sir?" anxiously beseeched the lady, after the palm reader looked at her hand with great deliberation. 
     "Hmm...interesting...very interesting. I see that you and your life have undergone many changes in the recent past...?" said he, wanting to sound more and more contemplative. 
    "Eh, well, yeah...I have" Seriously? Isn't that obvious from my protruding tummy.
    "I knew it!" he exclaimed, snapping his fingers. He then continued examining her palms. 
    "I perceive you're having difficulty dealing with life aren't you? You're experiencing certain things which you have never experienced before" 
     It could well be estimated from the lady's youthful looks that her belly had tumefied for the very first time.
    "Hell, yes" replied she, whose restlessness grew with the palm reader's every sentence. "Perhaps if you could just foresee my future..." she implored in her softest of voices, throwing glances at the modified part of her body. 
    "You should've told me before, madam! Nevermind, nevermind. Give me a bit" he said in an irritated tone and went back to the lady's hand. 
    "I apologise. You know I just-" 
    "Hush, madam! You need to maintain silence. I...I can see it. Hush" 
     All of it seemed more like a game of pretence to her, though she found it better to keep her mouth shut. 
    "I sense the presence of four people, that is to say- the doctor, the nurse, your baby, and you, during the auspicious time of nativity" he theorised, staring straight into her eyes. 
    Is this some kind of joke? "Tell me something else!" she grumbled; her annoyance reaching its limits. 
    "Calm down, madam. Calm down" he sweat nervously. 
    "Okay, hold on, I got something else..." he continued, "Hmm...I see...I see a lotus! And it's peach-tinged petals. The petals- they...they slowly unfold...and what they reveal is the head-" 
     Before the palm reader could break the so-called suspense, he was thrown back onto the ground along with his chair by the mighty hard blow. And the victorious lady stomped out of the purple and gold tent, showing him the true power of palms.

© 2022 Zoya


Author's Note

Zoya
What say?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Well done. The introduction led us to the exact spot we needed for a proper beginning. The information was carefully rationed throughout the tale and the ending was sudden and surprising, perhaps not a strategic surprise but surely a tactical surprise.

So you think there is nothing to palmistry? Nothing at all? Even skepticism is a story mine. Thanks for sharing this.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zoya

6 Years Ago

Thank you, Delmar! Glad you liked it. There sure is something to palmistry. I just believe it's losi.. read more
Delmar Cooper

6 Years Ago

Of course I agree about fortune telling hucksterism. I do believe there are people, rather like the.. read more
Zoya

6 Years Ago

I understand what you're saying, and I do agree to it. Thank you again for your time and review.



Reviews

ha ha. That was funny. And very real. Palmists are mostly pretentious. They tell things we already know, or those which are pretty obvious. They may weaken your faith. So it'better to trust God, and pray for what you want only from Him.
Very-well written!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ghania

6 Years Ago

Hi Astri, oh, I am not. I just gave a view.
I am sorry if I sound that way. It isn't my inten.. read more
Great Aunt Astri

6 Years Ago

Oh good! It is so easy to misunderstand on the internet! The phrase 'Trust God. He has abandoned you.. read more
Ghania

6 Years Ago

Yeah. Thank you. I'd feel lucky to read yours! You're great.
Thanks again. *Blessings*
The end is funny. I enjoyed reading this sort of comical story. Captivating and nicely written. Well done Zoe.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zoya

6 Years Ago

Thank you, Avia! :)
Good to see that this sweet little package of talent brings several mature ideas and this piece is an example of that... you always try to share some noteworthy stuff... keep writing :) !!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zoya

6 Years Ago

Thank you, Abhishek! Good to hear from you after a long time.
Abhishek Asthana

6 Years Ago

Yeah, it's been a long time and that too i have shared in my blog entry...good to see you too and i .. read more
Zoya

6 Years Ago

Yup, I read your blog. Welcome back. Glad you like my pieces
i say you write some great stories,loved it !

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zoya

6 Years Ago

Thank you, wordman!
Critique: (Perhaps if you could just forsee my) foresee
("Calm down, madam. Calm down" he sweat nervously.) sweats
(he was thrown back on to the ground) onto the ground

Review: There is a science to palmistry unfortunately there are thousands of charlatans out that looking to make fast money. You story is a great example of this and entertaining as well. Nicely done my friend Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zoya

6 Years Ago

Uh-huh, I agree. Thank you for your review! I appreciate it!
I liked the twist in the end and the line 'true power of palms' the idea behind this very thoughtful and witty. You managed to portray reality very well.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zoya

6 Years Ago

Thank you, Najam. I appreciate your feedback!
Najam Us Saher

6 Years Ago

You're welcome.
I dont believe in all those superstitious palm readings and stuff kinda like scams!!!
I love how you portrayed the way these people scam others into paying them for such nonsense!!
You wrote this very well. I do feel you've used the words 'lines' too many times in the start. But it was a nice introduction to this man. Also haha i like hoe he was probably just looking at the lines in her hand and picturing all the money hes made from fooling people

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zoya

6 Years Ago

Yup. I used the words 'lines' too many times in the beginning deliberately. Does that sound weird? W.. read more
pia

6 Years Ago

No no it doesnt sound weird at all.
Maybe its just me!!
If i do read it again id pro.. read more
Zoya

6 Years Ago

Okie dokie

3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1146 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 27, 2017
Last Updated on February 22, 2022

Author

Zoya
Zoya

India



About
Twenty-one and learning🌻 more..

Writing
Forevers Forevers

A Story by Zoya



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..