Life On The Squad

Life On The Squad

A Story by Terri
"

This is a spin-off from the 70's show Emergency.

"

 

Life on the Squad:
The Story of a Girl
 
            I lay still, unable to sleep. It brought me back to when insomnia hit the station. But you’re different, I reasoned. You will probably get to sleep, run or not. His was self-induced anyway. I petted Boot, the slobbering station mascot. He slept in the station during B and C shift, but he stayed with me for company during A shift. I let my mind wander, floating from run to run, replaying them all in my mind. I shuddered at memories of close calls, and smiled at some happy other ones. I brought my self back and focused on my breathing. That should get me to sleep
            I was on the edge of unconsciousness when the alarm went off. “Station 51, garage fire with injuries. One fifteen Waverly Lane, 115 Waverly Lane. Time out, 2:18.” I hopped out of bed, into my boots. It may be 2:15 in the morning, but no way was I being left behind.
I ran out of the camper and in through the kitchen door. From there I went into the vehicle area. I pulled open the door of the squad and slid in. Johnny and Roy were two steps behind me. They had a disapproving look on their faces, but what could they do? There was a fire with injuries. If I could remember correctly, one wrong jump of the flames, and we had a brush fire started. As the sirens wailed, I wondered why L.A. only called in us. I guess the owners of the property started a firebreak, and burned themselves doing it.
            Johnny had his door opened before Roy even had the squad stopped. A man came running; the back of his shirt on fire. As the man ran, Johnny tackled him. He took his fireman’s coat and smothered the fire with it.
            “Chet, Marco, two inch and a half’s!” I heard Captain Stanley call. I got out of the squad on the passenger side. I turned towards the back of the vehicle. I opened the storage area and pulled out the by-o-phone, drug box, oxygen, and EKG monitor. With burns, the victim could very well go into cardiac arrest, depending on the severity of the burns.
I grabbed all the equipment and hurried to John and Roy. Roy started on the vitals, while Johnny began hooking up the EKG. I opened the by-o-phone case and began assembly. The antenna for transmission, power, and Rampart General Emergency for hospital. All ready.
“Rampart, this is squad 51” I said into the radio transmitter.
“Squad 51, this is Rampart. Go ahead.” Dixie McCall, R.N., responded.
“Rampart, we have a burn victim. Male, approximately 30 years of age. Weight about 230 pounds. He has 2nd and 3rd degree burns all down the back. Hold for vital signs.”
“We’re standing by 51.” I handed Johnny the phone, and he started rattling off vital signs.
“Rampart, vital signs. Pulse, 130. Respiration, 16. BP, 100 over 60.”
Dixie must’ve gotten Dr. Brackett because he responded, “51, wash the burns with normal saline and start an IV D5W. Is the ambulance there yet?”
I nodded. The ambulance had just pulled up. “10-4, Rampart.”
“Start the IV and bring him on in.”
“10-4 Rampart.”
I looked at the EKG. “Roy, it’s reading frequent PVC’s.” He leaned over to look at the monitor. “Johnny, call in the PVC’s.” John nodded. He called it in. “Send me a strip.” Said Dr. Brackett. I flipped the EKG switch on the by-o-phone.
“Lead 2.” I said. Johnny repeated it to Dr. Brackett.
“Give him 2 amp. Sodium Bicarb, then get him in here.”
“10-4” I had the syringe ready in my hand. I handed it to Roy. Technically, I’m not supposed to touch the patients, or any of the equipment. They don’t certify 13-year-olds as paramedics.
My name is Kara. I am 13 years old, and I spend shifts at fire station 51. The crew consists of Captain Stanley, the easy-going leader that has a quick wit and a mind for solutions; Marco Lopez, the kind patient one that can speak with the citizens who speak spanish; Mike Stoker, our engineer that likes to play Switzerland; Chet Kelly, the joker that goes after Johnny all the time; Roy DeSoto, the calm, family man that often drags Johnny out of the sky; John Gage, Johnny, my uncle, who is constantly trying and failing the get a date; and me; Kara Gage. Johnny is actually my uncle, but he has legal custody over me. The shifts rotate every three days, and on those days, I’m at the station or school.
I’ve been around for three years now. When I was nine, I was at home with the baby-sitter while my parents when out to dinner for some “alone time”. On their way home, they were side-swept by a semi; killed instantly. I spent a year at a foster home in New York. When I ran away, making it back to home in Detroit, social services picked up the investigation on lost relatives. The search turned up three people in Miami, and John. Turns out, the Miami people, weren’t related to me, only had the same name. So, to L.A. I went.
The year my parents died, the Paramedics program first came into action. There was a bill to pass, so while the court rolled it over in their minds, the squads went out with certified nurses. Just days before the official hearing, John and Roy were out on a run. Car off the road, balancing on the edge of a cliff. With an occupant still inside, Dixie and the guys worked to get her out. The car became unstable, and hit Dixie. She was out cold. Bracket ok-ed the treatment, saying, “Tell the nurse to go ahead”. Roy responded with “I would love to, but the third victim is Dixie. The best I heard it, here was the argument:
“Stay there and monitor vitals. I’m sending out another nurse.”
“Doc, these people are in serious condition. If we wait, they might die.”
“The rules are that you wait for another nurse!”
This is where Johnny grabs the by-o-phone. “Screw the rules.” They then disconnected and treated them. All three lived.
When I come into play, the paramedics could issue treatment themselves, under direct instructions from a doctor. The squads are usually well stocked with equipment and medicine. Pretty much the only thing they can’t do is x-rays and surgery. Even then, they can amputate.
As I thought of the fire, I lulled to sleep on Johnny's shoulder; who was driving the squad towards the hospital. Roy was riding in the ambulance, monitoring the patient. Maybe there was something to John’s insane insomnia thing. I was awoken by him leaving the squad. I crawled out.
“Kara, why don’t you get some sleep, huh?”
“As if.”
I followed him into the E.R., where I found Dixie slumped over paperwork. “Nurses work schedules?”
“Huh?” Her head shot up “Yeah. Slow night.”
“Didn’t Brackett tell you to go home at 9?” I looked at my watch. 3:30. Terrific.
“Yeah. But most of the nurses went home already. Who else can keep the rest of them awake and running?”
I laughed. “True.”
“I’m surprised that the guys let you out on a run so late, or, early.”
“I couldn’t sleep. Besides, tomorrow is Saturday, and I was in the squad before them.”
“Alright, miss owl, time to get you some sleep. Night, Dix.” Johnny and Roy walked up behind me.
“Speaking of the parental guardian. ‘Night Dixie.”
“’Night guys.”
I slid in while Roy started up the engine, John right behind me. Again, I was put to sleep by the car ride. Groggy, I dutifully returned to my camper. The engine crew was already asleep. Stupid regulations, I said to my-self. If they weren’t in place, I would be in the station right now. I curled up with Boot and returned to my slumber.
I awoke the next morning to an empty station. I walked to the podium where runs were cataloged. When the call comes in, the information is written on a piece of paper that produces two other copies. One for the squad, one for the engine, and one fore records. I read the latest receipt. 1789 Main Street, Structure fire. Time out: 8:15. I looked at my watch. 8:30. They wouldn’t be back for a while. Main Street is mostly businesses. Depending on the trigger, it could be a whole building, or spreading throughout more businesses.
I walked into the kitchen. They must’ve been called in before breakfast was started. The coffee machine wasn’t even filled with mix. I put the mix in. I would start it up at 8:45. I began putting eggs into a bowl with milk. Scrambled eggs it was. We would go out in the squad for groceries later. It usually took about 3 times in the skillet to make breakfast for them, 4 if they were coming in from a run. I began the first through and went outside for the paper. The flagpole was empty. I returned to the kitchen and put the paper on the table. I put the dishes on the table, and then removed the first batch. It went into a big pot, which I put in the oven. I set it for 50 degrees. It would keep the food warm, and not cook it very much, if at all. The second batch went into the skillet, and I left to grab the flags. One of the engine crew, probably Mike, will put it up once he’s eaten. If I attempted, the flag would probably end up on the ground. Once the flags were in the main room, I turned on the television. They have official called the season a drought, meaning, the engine crew were about to get busier.
I got up and took the pot out of the oven and dumped the second batch into it. The third batch was in the skillet and I put the pot back in the oven. I returned to the couch, where Boot was waiting. He had token my spot, and had his dish in his mouth. I took it and filled it with water at the sink. I placed it on the ground and filled the second side with food. He was out of my hair now. I ran across to the locker room and changed. Might as well. As soon as they got back, I would have to change in the camper. When I returned, the third batch was done. I repeated the process and looked at my watch. 8:40. I started the coffee. I would need a second pot to get them all filled. I got the toaster out and put bread in the four slots. I would make 16 slices, I decided. They can fight over which two gets an extra slice. The toaster popped up, and I fetched an extra container to put it in. I re-loaded the toaster and I opened the oven. I exchanged the toast for the eggs.
I dumped the final batch and returned it to the oven. I grabbed the toaster container and walked to wait for it to pop. When the coffee machine dinged, I slid over and put a pot full of water into the holder. I emptied the filter and replaced it with a fresh one. As I finished starting the second pot, the toaster popped. Taking the toast, I put it into the bin and put the third batch in. The engine crew should be back any minute. If things were lucky, and now victims were accounted for, then Roy and John would be with them. Boot pushed me his dish. There was still some water, but the food was gone. I re-filled it and put in the last of the toast. Boy I hope they like their breakfast. The last of the toast finished, and I returned the bin to the oven. Now to wait until they got back.
A few minutes after the second pot was finished, the door opened. The engine and squad backed in simultaneously. I greeted the blacked men, guessing that the smoke was bad.
“Mmmm, it smells good in here.” Marco noted.
“Should. Took me half an hour to make.” I responded. I had the dishes set and the coffee on the table. I got the food out of the oven and put it on the table; grabbing my chair and sitting at my spot. Cap began to pass around the eggs, followed by toast. I could tell he counted because he grabbed three slices. When the food got around to me, all that was left was just the amount I wanted to eat.
One by one, they pushed away from the table. “Ok.” Cap said as Chet pushed away his plate. “Who’s got the flags today?” Nobody volunteered. “Ok, who wants to give poor Mike a break?”
“It’s ok, Cap.” Stoker said. “I don’t mind.” I got up and grabbed the cards.
“Ok, Kara. Hand ‘em here.” I handed the playing cards to Cap and returned to my seat. We usually played cards to decide who had dishes. Johnny usually lost. He was psyched when I began to play. He had to be better than an 11-year-old, right? Wrong. I was high that game.
“One card pass. We play until the first bell. Low loses. Two lowest, Ace highest. Agreed?” Cap had 6 “agreed” responses.
He dealt the cards. Three each. I was dealt a 10, a queen, and a 5. I passed the 5 and received another 10. I silently laughed. I doubted that Mike had anything lower, and he was usually on the lower end of the great card players, but if he passed a 10, Johnny had no chance. I passed on his 10. Mike handed me a queen. Christ, I thought, he must have good cards. I passed Marco my 10, and Mike gave me a 2. Elch. Passed on to Marco. I received a nine.
“Stop.” Said Cap. The bell for another station was going off. “Show your cards.” I threw down my 2 queens and 9. “Sorry, Marco, you’re low.” He had a nine, two, and ten. I looked at John’s hand. What saved him was his ace. Must’ve been dealt it. Nobody’s dumb enough to pass it, unless they have an entire hand of ‘em.
I helped him clear the table. After all, it was my fault he lost. He would’ve been fine except for that two. I started the water and got out the drying towel.
“Hey, Kara, if you were going to do three fourths of the work, why didn’t you just volunteer for the entire job?” Chet teased.
“Well Chet, next time I make you lose, I’ll keep that in mind.” I retorted, grabbing the plate Marco put down. “Since you feel so strongly about it, then you can do it all by your-self.” I heard somebody quietly laugh on the other side of the room. I dried the next plate.
The alarm went off. I threw down the towel. “Squad 51, possible heart attack. 219 Green Drive. 219 Green Drive. Time out: 10:03.” Green Drive? Wasn’t that closer to Squad 49?
“Squad 51, 10-4. KMG 365.” Cap handed Roy the sheet, and the squad roared off towards 219 Green Drive.
“Squad 49 must be on a run.” Johnny commented.
“That’s what I thought.” I responded. Even though it’s hard to believe, we only go about 35 miles per hour. Or at least, from what I can tell. We arrived a few minutes later.
“Hurry!” A woman came running out of the house. “He’s in the living room! He just passed out!” My eyebrows furrowed with doubt. Unless he was having chest pains before, I doubted it was a heart attack. But then again, what I know is purely from experience. Training is a minimum. I’ve been through a few crash courses with Dr. Brackett and Dr. Early at Rampart, I don’t know nearly as much as Roy and Johnny.
I was on autopilot as I thought of this. Grabbing equipment, towing it into the house. I set down the stuff and pulled the wife away.
“Your husband will be fine, Mrs…”
“Mrs. Bartley. Mrs. Dean Bartley.” She looked over my shoulder at the medical scene.
“Mrs. Bartley, trust me. Your husband is being cared for by the best in the business. Nobody else can give him the quality care they can.” I reassured her. She looked like she was about to kick them out of the way and drive him to the hospital her-self.
“What’s going on here?” Vince, a police officer, walked in.
“Vince, we have a possible heart attack. Dean Bartley. This is his wife.” I explained.
He nodded. “Ma’am, can I ask you some questions? General information. This is 219 Green Drive, correct?”
I walked away, knowing Vince could control her better than me. I looked around where the men were; searching for anything that could have any part in Mr. Bartley’s condition. Pill bottles or some sign of alcohol. As I circled, I spotted something.
“John, Roy! Don’t use that MSIV!” I nearly screamed.
John hesitated, the liquid millimeters from entering his body. Roy just about dropped the by-o-phone. No doubt Rampart heard my outbreak. I held up an empty prescription bottle; filled two days ago. Acetaminophen.
“Rampart, the patient had undoubtedly consumed Acetaminophen. The bottle is empty, and it was filled two days ago.”
“Cancel that MS. If any is in the blood stream, then give him 100 CC’s of D5W-TKO stat. If not, give him D5W and transport immediately. We need to pump his stomach.”
“10-4 Rampart. D5W and transportation. We’ll keep you updated on his condition.”
“10-4, Squad 51. We’ll keep the line open.” I felt a rush of relief. That man would’ve had a slim chance of survival if the MS had gotten in. At least now he had a fighting chance. You never forget the feeling of saving a life. I love my “job”.
I jumped into the squad, stealing John’s seat. The strange part for me was how comforting the sirens were. The sirens were a second home to me. The schedules usually go two days on, four days off, two days on, four days off. What would I do with tomorrow. All my homework was done, including the project due Monday. I guess I could clean the apartment some. God knows how bad it needs it.
I was busy day-dreaming, so I didn’t notice we were at the hospital until after Roy opened his door. I jumped out, hoping to talk to Dixie. Maybe I could help out in emergency on the days off. After all, next shift was Wednesday. I mentally laughed at the thought. If I kept this up, I would have no choice but to be a paramedic or an emergency doctor. I hurried into the E.R. Johnny had already disappeared into a treatment room. Boy did Mr. Bartley need his stomach pumped. He’d be lucky to live with how much Acetaminophen was in his system.
I caught Dixie returning to Nurse’s Station. “Hey, Dix!” I greeted.
“Oh, hello, Kara”
“You know, I had an interesting thought on the way in.”
“Well, do you plan on telling me this interesting thought?”
“I thought you’d never ask. I was thinking, maybe I could help out here on John’s days off. And then, that if I did that, then I’d have no choice but to become a paramedic or emergency doctor. Isn’t that funny?” I finished.
“Well, from certain points of view, yes. Were you serious when you said you wanted to help out here?”
“Actually, I was thinking about what I was going to do tomorrow, being off and everything.”
“That must be nice. You get to have a lazy Sunday.”
“It’s gonna be lazy alright. I have nothing to do! Besides cleaning, that is.”
“Be happy while you can be. I can’t remember the last time I can a nice, lazy day off.”
“Really?”
“Really.”
“Wow.” I thought about that. What would it be like to never have a pointless day off? Well, I wouldn’t be bored, I reasoned. Homework is scarce on the weekends. I can’t ride on the squad until 3:30, or until I finish. Whichever comes first.
“Hey, Dix!” Roy and Johnny came up.
“Hello there Johnny. Roy.”
“We need some supplies. Gauze, compresses, D5W, defib cream, ummm. Do we need anything else Roy?”
“I think you got it all.” He responded.
“Comin’ right up.” Dixie got up off her stool and began rummaging around for the supplies.
“Good catch, Kara. Doc says that he’s going to live, but if we had used that MS, that he couldn’t have; there was so much Acetaminophen in his stomach.” Roy told me.
“It really is amazing what some people would do to them-selves. That’s got to be the hardest part.”
“No. The worst part is being left behind.” I whispered; suddenly interested in the floor. I decided the pattern wasn’t worth it, and I went to the squad. They couldn’t do anything. Both of them had to sign the supply sheet. I curled up in the seat, waiting for them to come. Roy had the keys, so no matter how badly I wanted to just get out of there, I couldn’t.
I closed my eyes and slowed my breathing. After that went back to normal, I worked on fighting back the tears. I heard the door creak open, and I sat up, waiting for Johnny to come in the passenger door, only, he didn’t. Huh? I turned to ask Roy where John was. I practically flew against the door. Roy hadn’t opened the door.
“Don’t go anywhere near that handle.” A man pointed a gun at me. I showed my hands. The handle didn’t have anything to worry about. He pulled out a pair of handcuffs and cuffed my hands in front of me. Once I was cuffed, he began to work on hotwiring the engine. I worked on my breathing again. Hyperventilating is the worst thing you can do right now, Kara; I thought. That, and going for the door.
L.A., this is Squad 51.” Here it comes. I thought. The moment when they realize I didn’t do this. “Can you track down Kara for us. She ran off.”
“Squad 51 L.A. 10-4”
L.A., Squad 51. Tell her she’s in major trouble. She took the squad.”
“Squad 51 L.A. 10-4”
“Squad car 51 L.A.” I slid a look at the mysterious kidnapper.
“That’s us.” I dared to talk.
“What?” He pointed the gun back at me.
“I said, Squad car 51 is us.”
“Disconnect it.” I gave him a confused look. “Disconnect the radio. NOW!” I jumped. I pulled the power plug. Mentally, I began panicking. Would they think I was being stubborn, or would they find out what happened? Look at the security tapes, I secretly prayed. Look at the security tapes. If they thought I was being stubborn, found the squad, and came barging in; I didn’t want to think about what might happen.
“You’re Kara?” I was surprised by the talking. That was the last thing I wanted to do. I didn’t trust my voice. It just gives them more power if they think you’re scared. I had to try though.
“Yes.” Good. My voice was strong, even a little annoyed. Perfect.
“What were you doing in the squad?”
“I was waiting for the paramedics to come out.” Yes! Perfect empathies on ‘was’. Annoyance was the key.
“Sorry to interrupt.” He grumbled. Kara, cool it. I thought. The LAST thing you want to do is to get the man with the gun annoyed.
“Where are we going?” I asked.
“I’m not telling you.”
“Right.” Sarcasm. Kara, when are you gonna stop? “’Cause I have a hidden microphone on my shirt.” I rolled my eyes. Stupid habit.
He looked thoughtful. “Alright, fine. That abandoned mine on the out-skirts of town.”
“You mean the place that’s going to be torn down because it’s violated so many codes is way past beyond funny?”
“It’s being torn down?”
“That’s right.” Good lying. I didn’t have the faintest idea if I was going to be standing next week or not, but if it got us any closer to L.A., I was fine with it.
“Well, there’s an old storage area up be Hancock.” He started thinking instead of talking, but I didn’t’ push. I knew what storage area he was talking about. Engine 45 passed it enough, with the station being located just down the street. I didn’t mention this to my companion. I just prayed we came from the opposite direction. If my navigation skills were working properly, then we should. I would come up with something if the station was discovered though.
I began work on my reason to stay at the storage unit. ‘They would never think to look for us there, so close to a fire station’.
“Ok. We’re here. Keep your head down as we go through here, got it?”
“Ok.” I didn’t see what good that would do. If anybody traveling down Hancock right now heard about Squad 51 missing would be able to tell 9-1-1 that they saw a squad with the number 51 on it go into “Storage Madhouse” along Hancock.
I so wanted to turn on the radio, get an update on what’s going on. Did they figure it out yet, or do they still think I’m that stubborn? I sank lower in my seat. Chet would think so, at least, until dinnertime. I would definitely show up for that, unless I was in an accident; and they would hear about that for sure.
An accident. That gave me an idea. Too risky though. Unless I managed to some how make sure he was unconscious or paralyze, or by miracle got the gun away from him, I couldn’t go through with it. He could very well just shoot and kill me, or an innocent by-stander.
“Why’d you do it?” I asked.
“Why’d I do what?”
“Why did you steal the squad?” I thought it was a pretty straightforward answer.
“I plan on selling the equipment in here. And that medicine? Junkies would love it.”
“And what do you plan on doing with me?” I looked straight. He couldn’t see the fear in my eyes.
He ran his fingers through his hair. Great, I thought. An unthought-of part of the plan. “I can’t trust you to let you go. That’ll get me thrown in the slammer for sure.” There goes my first, and most unlikely, hope.
That left five options. I run away, he ransoms, he takes me with him, we get found, or I die. No way was I attempting a run away. My hopes were pinned on getting found, although at this location, hidden completely from the street, that was going to be next to impossible. Or, was it?
“What about supplies?” I asked.
“What are you talking about now?”
“Food, water, clothes, blankets?”
“Oh. Those are at the cave; and I only have enough for me.” I looked at the area that he was planning on. I noticed a small crack of light. A door.
I sat on the floor, plenty far from both exits. “Well, I guess I’ll wait here until you get back.” Poker face. Plenty practice with this. Dismay. Great for covering joy and hope.
He glanced over the area. “Ok, you stay here. I’ll be back.” I hid my immediate relief. The cave was at least 10 minutes away. So that was 15 minutes to gather the things. That could easily build up to 25 to 30 minutes for him to get things for me. I decided I would wait 10 minutes to make sure he was gone.
The main entrance was closed. I sat still. I grabbed my penlight, looking at my watch. 11:06, so at 11:16, I would make my escape. I knew from the ride in that the back area of the complex were woods. I would walk through there, just in case, and walk down to 45. Sweet freedom was soon. I could just imagine what would happen when the call came through on the radio….
The radio! He might plug it back in. I calmed down. So, request to use the phone. L.A. can somehow get it out to switch to frequency 2. I breathed and looked at my watch. 11:10. 6 more minutes. 45 was a big station. Complete with a battleon chief. I would definitely be safe there. I tried to think of the paramedics at 45, and drew a blank. Must not interact with them much. I looked at my watch again 11:17. Safe to move. I cautiously walked to the door, hidden by a row of boxes. I paused, listening for approaching vehicles. What if he used the sirens? I better move quicker.
To my surprise, the door opened silently. I breathed a sigh of relief. I shut the door behind me, then ran to the woods. Once I could barely see Storage Madhouse, I began my walk in the general direction of 45. I kept an eye out for red brick, knowing the station would be the first red brick on the row.
It took about 10 minutes, but I finally caught sight of the station. The men were out back, hanging hoses. I staggered out of the woods, taking them by surprise.
“Kara!” Chief Trevor recognized me. He and Johnny used to work together. We met and the station 9 reunion last year, since that station closed down last year.
“Chief. You gotta help me get back to 51. A mad man with a gun stole the squad car back at Rampart.” The entire story blubbered out of my mouth, including the possible radio listen-in.
Chief took me inside and poured me some juice, while their engineer called L.A. They would call station 51, telling them to quietly come to station 45, no sirens. I would then tell them what happened, since L.A. didn’t even know I was here, and give my description of my kidnapper. I was so relieved. I didn’t have to be strong any more.
I heard the big rig pull up on the driveway. The entire crew came into the vehicle area, and chief tugged my shoulders.
“Boys, I think you lost something.” And I came out.
“Kara!” I was on the verge of tears, and I didn’t even try to stop them. I ran to Johnny, unable to speak. Chief repeated my story to them.
I was surrounded by the station mates. No way was I going anywhere else without one of them with me, not like they would let me. I would feel more comfortable if Mad Man was in jail, but I had to give them the information first.
No matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t stop crying. I didn’t know how much longer this would go on. I had to tell them about his plan, didn’t I? I was the only one who knew about his plot.
Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Storage Madhouse. I lost my breath, the squad was pulling in. I pointed to it, still unable to speak.
Cap must’ve seen it. “The squad.” He said. I nodded.
“Ok. I’ll ride over there, blocking the exit. One of you guys get police on the phone. He can’t fence equipment when he’s locked in a storage area.” Chief said. We all nodded.
“Chief.” Cap said. “As much as I would love to have the squad back, could we skip and get her to Rampart?”
“Go ahead, Stanley. She looks like she could use a nap.”
I was lifted, not caring who was carrying me. I could tell it was Cap when my carrier went in his door. Mike was driving, Chet sitting behind him. Marco was sitting behind us. Chet and Marco were facing the end of the engine, where John and Roy held on for the ride. I was perfectly fine where I was. Under normal circumstances, I would be back with them, or traded spots with Chet or Marco. I conked out half way to the hospital.
Again, I was woken up by someone moving. I must be really tired, because I was inside when I opened my eyes.
“Put her in two.” Dr. Early was standing in front of me.
“Wha-.” I started saying.
“Sh.” Of course Uncle Johnny was a half a step behind us.
As I was laid down on the table, I propped myself up, refusing help from the crew. “I got it! I’m not disabled now.”
Dr. Early laughed. “I doubt neurological problem. Maybe some nightmares.” As he continued the forced examination, I stared at his name tag; re-reading “Dr. Joe Early, M.D., F.A.C.S.” over and over.
“Hey, Dix!” I called when she walked in. “Funny meeting you here.”
“Well,” she said, laughing. “Did you suddenly learn how to drive?” I felt my face fall. So they never figured it out. I’ve gotta work on my attitude. I heard Johnny whisper something in-audible to me. As I looked at her face, I could see the regret. I thought about the name tag again. It was almost the exact tag as Dr. Brackett; who’s read “Dr. Kelly Brackett, M.D., F.A.C.S.” It seemed strange to me, because while they both had the same medical training, Brackett was head of emergency, and got his own office. I guess it’s because of seniority of hospital employing, even though Dr. Early is about 20 years older than Brackett.
Thinking of, Brackett walked into the room. “Welcome back.” He greeted.
“What, is this a parade?” I asked. “Seems like at least half of emergency has looked in this room; and we’ve been here for about five minutes.”
“How are you doing?”
“Pretty good; despite the fact that some guy with a gun is probably going to hold a grudge against me.”
“Wait” Johnny said. “He had a gun?”
“Duh. Or else I would have opened the door. I’m not that stupid.” I rolled my eyes.
“I’ll be right back.” He said, disappearing out of the room. He was probably going to report to Chief Trevor about the gun, even though I am pretty sure I told him about it.
“Well, everything seems fine.” Dr. Early said. “If anything happens, then get her in here.”
I hopped down. “I’m fine.” I hesitated. “But, all he does is watch station 51, wait until I’m alone, and…” I formed my fingers to a gun, and shot it at my head.
“She’s right.” Multiple guys from the crew whispered.
“She can stay here.” Dix said. “Until they catch this guy. And she can come home with me at night.”
“Dix, I couldn’t possibly impose like that.” Me and Johnny, who had silently returned, said at the same time.
She shook her head. “No problem. She’ll be fine.”
“Kara, you can’t find a better baby-sitter than Dixie.” Dr. Brackett said.
“I know that. She’s always been a mother hen, but I don’t want to put a burden on her.”
“You won’t be a burden, Kara.” Dixie said. “The apartment gets lonely at times, actually.”
“Well,” I pondered it. “I guess, if it really is no trouble.”
“Absolutely none.” Dixie reassured me.
“Good luck, Dix.” John laughed.
“Station 51, L.A.” The radio said.
Cap pulled up the antenna on his handy-talkie. “L.A., Station 51.”
“Station 51, Station 45 reports squad recovered fully equipped, but suspect got away. Truck 45 is driving it over to your station.”
L.A., 10-4. Arrangements are made for Kara to stay away from the station.”
“10-4”
Cap and the crew began walking out. “Hey.” I said
Cap turned around. “Yeah?”
“Tell 45 thanks for me, will ya?”
He smiled. “Sure. You have fun.”
“I’m sure Dixie is just dying to get her hands on me.”
She walked over. “And I do. C’mon, lets go get your things.”
We followed the station out to the parking lot. Dixie’s car was a bit farther back, but we still managed to tail Mike back to station 51. As promised, truck 45 was there with the squad.
“Signed, sealed, and delivered.” The driver said.
“Welcome back.” John literally hugged the squad. I laughed.
“Tell your station I said thanks.” I told 45.
“Sure will. You guys have fun.” They took off.
I walked to the camper, gathering my things. It was so strange, how I woke up this morning, a normal day. Preparing breakfast for the station, only four hours ago. It felt like that was ages ago. I just could not win at all. It’s always been like this, it seems, since my parents died.
The foster home year was definitely the worst part, besides hearing the news.. Often I was not in school, too afraid to walk in the big doors of a new school, and too afraid to face what would be waiting for me when I returned “home”.
Only too many times have I heard “you should be happy that we took you in, you ungrateful brat.” And whenever I told a social services worker who was checking up on me, then completely ignored the comment. That’s when I decided to run away.
It took me about two weeks to get back to Detroit. I nearly starved to death, drinking water from public water fountains. I was in the outskirts of Toledo when an elderly lady saw me walking at four thirty on the morning. She was driving to Detroit to visit her relatives, and she offered me a ride. I accepted. I passed out in her car. Before I knew it, I was at a social workers office. The worker was bound and determined to get me back in New York. I purposely got on the wrong bus. The bus I got on took you around Detroit, not to New York. I got off as close to the police station as I was gonna get. They didn’t send me back to New York. Instead they started a search for lost relatives of mine.
I was still remembering my foster year when I realized that I was at Dixie’s apartment building. I must’ve been mindlessly walking around. I twisted around to the backseat and grabbed my tote bag. I guess I could get Johnny to drop off some more clothes, or ask Dixie to take me over to grab them.
I followed her around the building to her apartment, 5H. A cat was waiting for us on the other side. I remembered her mentioning he’s name is Gregor. I silently congratulated my memory when she said, “Hiya there Gregor.” I petted the cat and started exploring the apartment. There was a small entrance area that opened into the living/dining room. Straight ahead was the kitchen, which had a bathroom and a laundry room located off the side. Walking back into the living room, I could see Dixie’s room on the wall you can’t see walking in. From the dining room, there is a small hall. It contains another bathroom and bedroom. I assumed this was to be my room.
As I walked into the room, I felt instantly comforted. I don’t know what it is, but something about the room made it feel like nobody bad could ever find me here. The walls were a soft lavender, with flowers stencil-dusted in a pattern along the ceiling. It was small, but just the right size at the same time. There was a small twin bed, with a bureau right across from it. A window was facing the west and seemed to have a gravitational force to it. Sheer white blinds pulled to the sides, and the perfect view of the low forest was visible. Amongst the furniture was a small desk and a nightstand.
I opened the bureau and put down my tote. I kicked off my shoes and plopped down on the bed. I must’ve fallen asleep again, because Dixie woke me up for dinner about five hours later.
Again, my mind was elsewhere. I completely downed my food without a second blink at what I was eating.
“You must’ve been hungry.” Dixie commented.
I laughed. “It’s good to eat food that’s more than half edible.”
“I’m sure it is.” I got up with my dishes and put them in the sink. I began to wash them when Dixie took them. “Let me do that. You’re a guest.”
“It’s alright, Dix.”
“No, no. You go do homework, or work on your energy levels. I got the dishes.”
I shrugged. Was I really about to pass up a chance to not have to do dishes? I walked back to the room. I had no homework; I had finished it yesterday because they had a run late. I had brought a book, but had no interest. I returned to the kitchen
“Hey Dix, we’re gonna have to run to the apartment so I can grab clothes and stuff.” I told her when I gained her attention.
“I guess you’re right.” She said. “I wouldn’t want you to have to re-wear your clothes.” I would have taken that for sarcasm, except for the seriousness of her face.
I went back into the small room and got out my duffle bag. I would need it at the apartment. I couldn’t wait until they captured the guy. Cap was going on vacation soon, and I wanted to be there to say good-bye. Not to mention I was already beginning to miss the squad.
“You ready?” Dix stood in the doorway ready to leave.
“Yeah, I guess so.” I put on my jacket and followed her out to the car.
The drive to the apartment was short, me going into my little dream world again. I got out of the car, feeling a strange feeling not having to slam the door of the jeep in order to get it to actually close. I probably slammed it by habit, but Dix didn’t say anything.
As we walked up, I said hi to various neighbors as I dug around for my key. Some asked where Johnny was; and why I was here and not at the station. To these people, Dixie politely explained that I was temporarily living with her. We were able to get away from them while they scratched their head, wondering what that meant.
I stopped dead in my tracks at the door. There was a note. “Help me.” Plain and simple, but I knew who it was from. Apparently, Mr. Coo-coo had decided we were friends. I tore down the note and crumpled it before Dix could read it.
“What was that?” She asked.
“It was an out-of-date note somebody left. A baby-sitting thing. The date passed.” I smoothly lied. She seemed to take it. I opened the door and walked in… and screamed.
Mr. Coo-coo was sitting on the couch.
“Wha-wha.” I couldn’t get the word out, like he gave me the chance.
“Sh.” He said, getting up, and then he saw Dix. “Is she your mother?”
I was about to say no, but Dix said “Yes. What are you doing here?”
“You gotta help me lady. The police are after me.” He sounded like he was insanely begging for us to help a guilty man.
“They should be!” I didn’t know what expression was on my face, but he obviously wasn’t expecting it.
“Kara, why?” Like he was surprised I was saying he should go to jail.
“Umm, I don’t know. You kidnapped me and the squad.”
“I didn’t mean to kidnap you, Kara. But I obviously couldn’t let you go. How did you get out?”
“You mean you don’t know about the unlocked side door?”I almost laughed at the bewildered look on his face. Instead I looked at the keys in my hand, and got an idea.
When I first started living with Johnny, I didn’t go to the station. Some of his neighbors had their apartments broken into, so he had a panic button put on the keys. If someone where to break in while I was home alone, I was suppose to push it. I put the chain behind my back, pretending to put them away. I prayed Johnny still had the receiver, and hit the button. It would be a few minutes for them to track me here, then someone would call. If no one answered, or someone unfamiliar did, then they would send a police officer over, no sirens within range of hearing.
I was still praying in my mind and Mr. Coo-coo was still pacing when the phone rang. “Nobody goes near it. Nobody knows we’re here besides the neighbors.” He said. Fine by me. The faster the cops got here, the better.
The machine picked up, and of course there was no recording. Safety precaution. When I first got the button, I hit it by accident a few times, but that was about 20 months ago, so they would get suspicious. Now, I guessed someone would be here in 5 minutes. I turned, making it look like I was putting down the duffle, but I whispered to Dix “The police are coming.” And quickly flashed her the button. She barely nodded, not giving us away.
I huffed down on the couch. When they came, they wouldn’t bother with knocking. The door would be busted down. I wasn’t going to be standing there when that happened. Dix took my lead and sat down. Mr. Coo-coo didn’t even notice. I bet we could call 9-1-1 right now and he still wouldn’t notice us. I debated twiddling my thumbs when the door came in. I smirked at Mr. Coo-coo as the police came in guns drawn. I got up and walked over to Vince, the policeman we often worked with on runs.
Vince would probably get him straight into the jail, and would take me with him if I asked. Afterwards, he would drop me off at the station. If Johnny is my dad, Vince is my uncle.
Dixie walked out of the apartment. “Hey, Dix?” I grabbed her arm. “I think I’ll ride in with Vince. No point in me bothering you anymore. I’ll see you around at the hospital, ok?”
She smiled. “Sure. Even if he manages to get away, then I think the guys can protect you better than I can.”
Mr. Coo-coo walked out in hand-cuffs, followed by non-other-than Vince. Of course he would. It was personal for him. “Kara, you gotta tell them I’m innocent.” He had guilty pleading in his eyes.
“Innocent of what? Innocent of turning your-self in for a crime you committed?”
“No. Not that.”
“Then what? Do you somehow have a twin brother I should know about?”
“No.”
“Oh! You want me to be your accomplice.” I could feel the scowl on my face. “No. You brought this upon your-self. I’m not digging you out.” I looked around Mr. Coo-coo. “I’ll be by your car. I think you’ll want to drive me to the station.” I told Vince. I then promptly left, not wanting to see the hurt look on the criminals face.
I leaned against the car, excited beyond belief. With the crazy schedule the station gave me, you’d think I’d be glad for the time off. I wasn’t.
But I got real ecstatic when Vince handed off Mr. Coo-coo and made his way towards me. “I think the squad wants you to go into commission.” I knew I was vibrating when Vince had to use force to get me to stop.
We walked over to Vinces car. I dove into the passenger side. I sat in the middle out of habit, but slid to the window seat when Vince came around.
“Do we have to tell them? I would like it to be a surprise.” I smiled my most little-girl-ish smile that usually got me what I wanted.
Driving to the station usually takes about 5 minutes, but now the drive seemed more like 30. I was about to go insane with excitement when the station finally came into view. I was still surprised with how I was reacting, or not reacting.
I quietly opened the door to the office; knowing how it likes to squeak. I then watched how I walked; not knowing when they last washed the floors.
I stopped outside the main room door. Vince would need to be here, otherwise it’d look weird, me just showing up out of no where. But then again… Why not?
I took stride and walked briskly into the room and I sat down.
Of course Johnny was up, panicking. “What are you doing here! You are supposed to be with Dixie!”
“Relax, John.” And then I began the story. I went from Dixie’s apartment to the arrest. He seemed to breathe easier when I got to that part. I swear he was ready to explode when he found out that Mr. Coo-coo was in the apartment.
“So, I get back on the squad and nobody will get killed because he spots me in a crowd.” I grabbed my duffle again and went out the back door. I put the bag to the camper and returned to the kitchen.
Of course, the squad had been thoroughly combed through and cleaned. Thankfully, Mr. Coo-coo didn’t have the chance to fence anything yet. Usually I make dinner, but tonight they had Cap’s special clam chowder. Clam chowder for lunch tomorrow, yum. 
Dinner was mostly a lot of laughs. Tomorrow we changed shifts, so we wouldn’t be in the station for 2 days. Those two days I would have school, so all was well. Maybe I could try and talk the health teacher into a field trip. Rampart, maybe a squad. As I thought of this, I remembered the big secret at school. Nobody knew about the squad. But then again, pretty much the only person I talked to was Jason, my science partner. Only class I really existed in was health when nobody else knew the answer.
Social suicide would be letting everyone know this. Someone was really smart in health, getting the strongest muscle in the heat (left ventricle, duh) bonus question right, earning a grade of 110%. I was smart, however, and got a couple of questions wrong and got a grade of 95%. Every time the poor kid walked down the hall, all the kids began clutching their chests, screaming “Oh my god! I’m having a heart attack! My left ventricle must be failing”, then proceeding with laughter. Imagine what the reaction would be if they found out I spent most of my time working v-techs and full arrests.
With all good-nights said, I trudged back to the camper. Tomorrow I would have to get up early. No way could I be tired when word of the “unidentified girl kidnapped in medical squad” was flying around school. There had to be some way to get people to not be so suspicious. I silently laughed. Kids at my school… not suspicious? Can we can say Mission Impossible?
As busy as my mind was, I was pleasantly surprised when it was suddenly morning. Very good morning, I did not feel a bit tired. I changed and pretty much skipped to the building. Cap or Marco must be up, because coffee was already started. I got some orange juice and sat on the couch.
This was the time of morning I loved best. Nobody was around and the sun was peeking above the brick wall outside the window above where I sat. It was peaceful.
The orange juice slipped through my fingers. Sitting on the wall, was Mr. Coo-coo. I backed off the couch, tripping as I turned. I bursted into Cap's office.
“Kara?” Cap seemed really surprised.
I was feeling really sick all of a sudden now, and Johnny was behind me. The phone rang so I didn’t have a chance to answer. “Station 51 office; Captain Stanley. How can I help you?” he paused. “Yes, Vince. She's right here. She is really freaked out though.” Another pause. “Kara, did you see the criminal?” Barely able to keep a steady respiration, I only nodded.
As Johnny’s face fell, I tried my voice. “On the brick wall.” I was disappointed at how much my voice cracked. And of course by now, Mike, Chet, and Marco had joined the party. So now all six guys were crowed around the small window that faced the wall. Meanwhile, I’m still fighting to get my vitals at regular level. I’m sure all three are sky high.
“Vince, bring some guys. He was here, but he’s gone now. Couldn’t have gotten to far.” Cap hung up and joined the group effort to get me to breathe again. I couldn’t shake the image from my head. This must be how the slaves felt when they ran from their plantations.
I felt better when I could suddenly breathe correctly again. I noticed I had fallen silent, and Johnny insisted upon using the sirens to get me to Rampart, not that Roy argued. I was still silent as we pulled up. It was then that I vaguely noticed that Mike and the others had followed us.
They must’ve told L.A., because Dr. Brackett and Dix were waiting for us at the E.R. door. Dix had that ‘I should have never let her go so soon’ look on her face, pure guilt.
What happened next was more of a blur. The hospital shrink tried desperately to get me to talk… and failed. Of course, he immediately wanted to admit me to the insanely depressed place, but Dr. Brackett wouldn’t have it. Man, it’s great to have connections with the head doctor of E.R.
The rest of the day didn’t happen to me. It consisted of me staying in the break room watching TV while Roy and Johnny welcomed the squad home.

~Thanks!

© 2009 Terri


Author's Note

Terri
Please give feedback and any ideas. I will post more soon!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

My Lord, that is a long read. It brought back a lot of old memories from the series. Now part two makes more sense to me. Like your story, but I have to ask you.....What possessed you to make a story from it? Most girls your age don't even know what the Emergency show was!!! My feedback is: I like your ink. My idea is bust it up into smaller chunks. Make three chapters from the first part, give us all a nibble. You'll get more reads that way, and it is very easy to put it all back together when the whole things done. You sound like you have some knowledge of the medical/emergency field. Either that, or you are a re-run junkie!

Love the writing.

Waiting for more.

Markymark

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

You have some typos in there so I'd suggest doing a re-read to clear those up. But the story idea is unique and it held my interest. I would think that once the criminal had been arrested, the Kara character would know his name and thus would be more inclined to refer to him by his last name that to still call him "Mr. Coo-coo". Also there are areas (Kara making breakfast, and the description of Dixie's apartment) where you have more detail than I felt that I needed as a reader. None the less a very interesting plot line.

Posted 14 Years Ago


My Lord, that is a long read. It brought back a lot of old memories from the series. Now part two makes more sense to me. Like your story, but I have to ask you.....What possessed you to make a story from it? Most girls your age don't even know what the Emergency show was!!! My feedback is: I like your ink. My idea is bust it up into smaller chunks. Make three chapters from the first part, give us all a nibble. You'll get more reads that way, and it is very easy to put it all back together when the whole things done. You sound like you have some knowledge of the medical/emergency field. Either that, or you are a re-run junkie!

Love the writing.

Waiting for more.

Markymark

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

There is a lot to enjoy in this, while simultaneously a lot to critique.

First I should say that it was well-written, concise, and your method of writing has a quiet charm about it. Succinctly captured the sensibilities of the person narrating the story.

My only 'professional' critique would be that while the opening was innovative in how it threw the reader into the circle of characters and relations, by the time you got to actually explaining away whom each person was, and whom they were to each other, I didn't have as strong enough impression of them individually by name, to automatically go back to them without having to re-read what I've already read, making the first portion of this story feel tedious, and lose it's initial charm.

It was a hiccup, as the charm eventually returned, but a hiccup nonetheless.

The protagonist is apparently brilliant and gifted, but me being the simpleton that I am, couldn't shake out the pictures of Doogie Howser MD.

I suppose the work would cater to medical-ish, drama fans more easily, and for what it's worth as I've already stated, it was written nicely.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Wow, very long. i read a few things. well written.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

406 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 4, 2009
Last Updated on August 9, 2009

Author

Terri
Terri

About
I mostly write about what I find interesting and you might find some of my personality mixed in with the main character in my stories. Please read my writing and give me reviews and feedback. If you f.. more..

Writing
Story Outline Story Outline

A Story by Terri


Pre-setting Pre-setting

A Chapter by Terri


Spy Haunting Spy Haunting

A Book by Terri