Memories

Memories

A Poem by Heather D
"

i was layin on my bed one night with Troy, a new "more than friend," and If Ever I Could Love by Keith Urban came on the radio. this is my reaction.

"

I'm laying across my bed, laughing without a care.

He sits close, laughs along with me, I'm happy that he's here.

The radio's on, and we just talk, I like the way he makes me feel.

Then a song comes on the radio, and it's as if all the world is still.

It's that one particular song, that you swore was written just for us.

And I can hear you singing it in my ear as we dance in the drive at dusk.

I listen to the words, and let the melody fill my head.

All of a sudden I'm sitting in your truck, no longer on my bed.

It's summer and it's hot, I'm wearing shorts and the windows are down.

My feet are resting on the dashboard as we drive slowly through town.

I look over and you're talking, wearing sunglasses and a smile.

I can hear your voice so clear, and I drink it in for a while.

I blink again and we're at your house, 2 a.m., in the tv room.

We're both asleep, I'm in your arms, neither of us moves.

I'm aware of you there, I can feel your breath, my hand rests on your chest.

I want to stay in this moment forever, then I remember that you've left.

Suddenly I'm back in my room, the radio still playing our song.

You said the lyrics were written just for us, but I now see you were wrong.

When you first left me I was angry, and deep down so very hurt.

Everything about you was a lie, I felt nothing was what I was worth.

But I soon came to my senses, saw I couldn't love something that was never true.

So I held my head high, the pains have faded, I no longer need you.

I look at him as the song ends, and he smiles a smile so sweet.

I know I'm just fine without you, you're now just a fond memory to me.

So I hope you live your life well, and think of me with a smile.

Know that I loved you true, even if only for a little while.

© 2011 Heather D


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Isnt it great the way love paints our life with beauty and things that are normal become more than that while those things that once irritated us no longer do it is the ultimate happy drug

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i think anyone who has loved someone can relate to this! in every relationship but one we had "our song" and when the song plays on the radiop, i automatically think of them. Some of the memories make me smile, and others fill me with regret, but either way, ive given my heart, and they each hold a piece of it

Posted 13 Years Ago


Really cute. She loved him, but learned it wasn't worth it. Great job on this poem, I like how all your poems flow perfectly :) Great read!

Posted 13 Years Ago


You have sent me through a bittersweet journey, Love lost, rememberance, and I must say a pleasent ride... You have captivated my heart with this piece and it broke right along with her... Excellent job Another fav

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is beautifully written and I love the seamless transition between the present to the past and back to the present. You are so descriptive and detailed, once again, I was right there with you. Well done!

Posted 13 Years Ago


THIS WAS VERY GOOD. I LIKED THE TRANSITION OF THE STORY. YOU HAD A NICE FLOW. I LIKED THANK YOU.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I really liked the persevering ending-- that's very refreshing.
People that have had a strong emotional impact on our lives can leave a significant impression on our lives-- both good and bad. Like I said I really like the perspective you took with this one-- it's nice to be able to look back and smile.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I like how the scenes transition. This shifts the mood as well. Great imagery. Well Done!

Posted 13 Years Ago


You really took us readers back in time for this one. I enjoyed this piece, because a lot of my personality is based off of memories from my past. It is what makes us who we are today. You can tell how fond and sincere the speaker really felt for the man in the poem just by the way she slept on him: w/ her hand on his chest. And surprisingly, amazingly, you are not bitter.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

227 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 7, 2010
Last Updated on February 7, 2011


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Dear Matt, Dear Matt,

A Poem by Heather D