Firefly Summer

Firefly Summer

A Poem by icelandicblue

Memorable are the long languid days
where humidity hangs
like a heavy surcoat
and the smallest of breezes
offers a promise of relief
like an errant lover.

When the sun slinks slowly
beyond the grateful horizon
the fairies gather along dark roads
and manicured lawns.

And

then they light up the earth

as they dance against
the velvet sky, these
tiny stars,
scintillating sparks,
beneath the leafy canopy
of firefly summer.

 

© 2013 icelandicblue


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hello Blue,

A graceful dance of children on the city streets as they yell and play games of tag and kickball while their parents sit and watch in reminder of their early years in joy of what they brought to this earth. Elegantly reminded of soft smells of spring flowers touch the nose and the dusk slowy setting in with the bright lights of fairies dancing as children chase with their nets hoping, praying to catch one to make a wish.

Always,

Matthew
A.


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Your response is pure magic. Thank you so much!
Angel

10 Years Ago

Matthew's review is a bit of poetry itself!



Reviews

Hello Blue,

A graceful dance of children on the city streets as they yell and play games of tag and kickball while their parents sit and watch in reminder of their early years in joy of what they brought to this earth. Elegantly reminded of soft smells of spring flowers touch the nose and the dusk slowy setting in with the bright lights of fairies dancing as children chase with their nets hoping, praying to catch one to make a wish.

Always,

Matthew
A.


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Your response is pure magic. Thank you so much!
Angel

10 Years Ago

Matthew's review is a bit of poetry itself!
Wonderful! I love fireflies. They bring me back to my youth in such a wonderful way. Seeing them as fairies is so very inventive. You might well be onto something of our human past. Perhaps our ancestors, perplexed by these flying beacons did indeed come to the idea of fairies in this way.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

I think you are on to something here! I love learning how certain things came to be. Thanks so much .. read more
This is really quite lovely. Transports me to the exact place you are describing....I also like the idea of fireflies as stars in their own right....perhaps in their own world.....

Thanks for inviting me over ;)

CM.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much CM for you kind review. Drop by anytime.
Blue, this was perfect, it was enchanting and it was magical and I think we all need a little magic in our lives. I love the scene you have painted and I can hear the rush of tiny wings as twilight approaches. This is really very good and I want to thank you for sharing it with us.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thank Jack, you are right we all need a little magic in our lives.
I feel like I'm eight years old again running barefoot in the lush grass of my grandparents front yard. As the sun went down we waited eagerly for the fireflies....so we could dance among them. It was a bittersweet feeling because as soon as it became full dark we had to go in. ;-).... what a fantastic poem!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful memory. They are such beautiful creatures and they are a part.. read more
redflutterby

10 Years Ago

You're welcome....thank you for sharing your work. ;-)
Thanks Frieda,

There is a small lake I go to in upstate NY and at night the magic unfolds. It is breathtaking. Thanks for reading and commenting. : )

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Sounds lovely, I was just saying to a friend of mine the other night, there's nearly as many firefli.. read more
Frieda P

10 Years Ago

*not nearly, I type too fast for my own good...
icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

I think these days we can find them off the beaten paths.
This is light and airy like a cool breeze on a summer's night. I hardly see fireflies anymore, not like when I was a kid, always found them so fascinating, as I do your poetry...killer last verse, much enjoyed! This put a smile on my face.

Posted 10 Years Ago


"When the sun slinks slowly
beyond the grateful horizon
the fairies gather along dark roads
and manicured lawns."
This is some good poetry...:)



Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much!
Sami Khalil

10 Years Ago

My pleasure...:)
oh, this is gorgeous...you remind me of the years i lived on the farm and the sky was void of light pollution and smog and all things human. when dusk fell, all the magical creatures of our wonderful country universe would engage in a symphonic harmony of blissful choreography against the darkening sky. you have captured it magnificently herein! thank you for those precious memories.....

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thanks quin- I think your comment is better than my poem!
quinfinn

10 Years Ago

oh pooh....not a chance, dear blue!
icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Oh this is pure poetic excellence:

symphonic harmony of blissful choreography against t.. read more

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

609 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 3, 2013
Last Updated on May 3, 2013

Author

icelandicblue
icelandicblue

Boston



About
I do not accept any new friend requests unless we have read and commented on each others poetry. No exceptions. I have enough homework as it is. I expect reciprocity in our exchanges. Read my work and.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Lee Lee

A Poem by quinfinn


night song night song

A Poem by quinfinn