The girl

The girl

A Chapter by Lost in Wonderland

    "Run... Run... just keep running..." Johanna thought to herself as she ran, out of breath, away from the small group of men who pursued her. Rain assaulted her face and stung her eyes as she raced against it. Hoof beats echoed in the distance, taunting her, pushing her forward. She just had to get to the closest building she could find, then she would hide there.

    “We don’t go back to the our master until we find her! Ride harder, men!” A booming voice sounded from a little ways back. Still to close to Johanna. She was thankful that she had the sense to put on a black cloak; at least that would give her some cover in this dark night. Internally groaning, she gathered he skirts and sprinted until she nearly ran into a massive wooden door. She let out a sigh of relief.

    “Help!” she yelled as loud as she dared, not wanting her attackers to hear her. “Help, please, someone open the door! Please have mercy on an innocent girl!” Panicked tears flowed from her eyes as the sound of horses drew closer.

    “Who goes there,” called the gate keeper, “State your name and business.”

    Desperately she screamed, “Please just let me in! Hurry! Oh, God please help me!”

    A deeper, more powerful voice came replied this time, “Open the gate.”

    And the gate opened.

    Deliriously grateful, Johanna stumbled inside the castle and fell to her knees, sobbing. She had done it, she escaped ten trained knights. She thanked God and laughed.

    Two brutish men grabbed her roughly by the arm and hauled her up. Through her blurry eyes, Johanna scanned the high, grey stone walls of the palace. Crimson flags hung from each tower with a gold lion embroidered on them. Knights in red tunics roamed the courtyard.

    Johanna gasped as she realized where she was. She stood inside the Malcolm castle. And the man in front of her was the one who sent a team of guards after her.

    Lord Gregory Malcolm.

    "Now," Lord Malcolm said, "What is your name, miss?"

    "My... my name?" Johanna stuttered.

    "Yes, your name." He rolled his eyes.

    Johanna chewed on the inside of her cheek. Obviously she could not tell this man who she really was. Lowering her dark violet eyes she murmured, "Um... my name is.... Elizabeth. Elizabeth Smith, m'lord." Silently, she congratulated herself. That was one of the most common, non-alerting name she could think of. He would not question it.

    "Hmm," Lord Malcolm grunted. He nodded once and the men holding Johanna released her. She breathed a sigh of relief.

    The lord clapped his hands and a few maids appeared almost instantaneously. They bobbed a quick curtsy and stared up at their master, waiting for directions.

    "Take Miss Elizabeth to a room in the 4th wing. See that she has a fresh night gown, and send for a new dress." He added at the end, eying Johanna's tattered blue gown and torn black cloak. She blushed under his intense stare.

    The maids led her down a dark corridor. All the while she thought to herslef, "I have to get out of here. They'll kill me if they find out who I am! But... wouldn't it be more suspicious if I bolted for the gate after I begged to get in. Oh! But what if the knight return..." She yawned, "Surely they will be out all night looking for me. And I shall not stay but tonight..."

    Very weary, Johanna decided to stay just this one night, and leave at the break of dawn.

They entered a small room with no tables or chairs; just a solitary white bed in the middle of the floor and a small window. A little wooden tub was brought in and filled with warm water.

    When the maids left her alone, Johanna slipped into the very inviting, steaming pool, melting into the calming feeling it brought her. Slowly, soothingly, she scrubbed her grimy body with soap and washed her long, thick, dark hair. Instantly she felt less panicked. Being clean made her feel better.

     Reluctantly, she stood, shivering, and got out of her nice bath. She grabbed a piece of cloth and dried herself, awaiting for the return of her maids.

    When the did come, a few minutes later, they helped Johanna into a light, cotton night gown. The soft material felt good on her aching limbs. Suddenly, she could hardly keep her eyes open. The maids left for the night, and she sunk into bed, thinking that everything might work out for her this time.



© 2012 Lost in Wonderland


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

It seems interesting but it seemed to go by too fast foir me, maybe add more detail? i will read on though! ^^

Posted 11 Years Ago


I wanna read more!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wow! I like this a lot! Only about 3 typos, or at least that I noticed. And really, this writing is quite good, I want to read more!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

292 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 19, 2012
Last Updated on March 25, 2012


Author

Lost in Wonderland
Lost in Wonderland

In the clouds, Where dreams are found



About
My name is Mickey:) I have a facbook page:) Please like it if you want more..

Writing