After the Mutiny

After the Mutiny

A Story by William Richards
"

An incident off the shores of Japan in 1830. Real events, fictional characterisation.

"
I look back--now that the sentence has been passed--and I tell you, that scoundrel was as guilty as any of us. I saw him, Mr Swallow, struggling with the guards when we took control of the brig Cyprus just like I did.

After the mutiny, we all hoped for a better life, and he was the only one with real sailing experience. The other convicts looked up to him for it. He loved that attention and took to the captain role like a rodent to the gutter. In fact, he would only be seen in the navy uniform with golden buttons and tassels that he found in the captain’s quarters. He did have a plan, which also cemented his leadership, and there was some hope. We were headed to China. Then we would scuttle the ship and infiltrate back to England as castaways, not convicts.

But we were low on supplies. We needed water, we needed food -- Japan was close, forbidden Japan, but we were desperate and so we headed there.

When we arrived, some local fishermen helped us. We were very grateful. We offered them beer even, to say thanks, and let me tell you it was no offence when they declined, more for the rest of us.

But we overstayed our welcome. Mr Swallow, our captain, wanted us beside shore as long as possible, to recuperate, and he negotiated three more days. When the time was up, he was not ready to leave. But the locals were not going to let us stay.

They started firing at us. Musket shots from men in small boats and cannon ball shots from the shore fell all around us.

But Mr Swallow just ordered one sail to be lowered, with no particular haste. There was no wind, we did not move, and he knew this. He just looked to the shore with his telescope, a swallow cufflink visible as he extended his arms. In the next moment, the telescope was knocked from his hand with a musket shot. His complexion did not alter. He just serenely lit his pipe, unperturbed.

I was perturbed. I ran across the deck and looked over the side of the brig Cyprus. The locals continued to fire at us, and they only looked to become more frenzied as our ship did not move a farthing.

Just then, a cannonball struck our ship’s timber and she splintered and groaned. A second cannon ball flew past me and hit our deckhand in the centre of his stomach. His viscera scattered across the deck he had cleaned, and his torso and legs came to rest beside one another.

That was when men started to weep. Others knelt on the floor and prayed. We were not soldiers, nay, we were not even sailors. These people were begging for their lives to the Japanese.

I rushed to Mr Swallow and pleaded, “Sir, we need to get out of here!” He looked at me calmly, smoking his pipe.

I looked out again over the side of the brig, and saw one of the fishermen (the one who had helped us by providing water) gesturing, and I understood immediately he was advising on the wind conditions.

I informed Mr Swallow. “Sir, the winds have changed, I can arrange it so we leave this place.”

He looked at me once more. He seemed startled by my insistence. But this time, he gave a slight nod.

I rushed about the vessel, giving instructions and encouragements, to get the men to about the ship and extend the sails in the correct positions. As soon as it was clear what we were doing, the firing stopped, and a short time later we were sailing away from Japan towards China.

We’d lost some men, but we were free again, hope before us.

If I knew then what I knew now, that Mr Swallow would betray us at the trial, I might have never have returned to London with him at all.

The admiralty looks gravely upon mutineers and before the midday bell, I shall be hung. Mr Swallow, cunning to the last, escaped the rope. As the floor drops away from beneath me, I will at least be satisfied in the knowledge that he’ll be incarcerated in Australia once more.

© 2017 William Richards


Author's Note

William Richards
All comments welcome, thanks for reading.

The story is based upon this guardian article:
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/may/28/australian-convict-pirates-in-japan-evidence-of-1830-voyage-unearthed

Image from Wikipedia.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I enjoyed this, until the very end. It just didn't seem fair that the narrator should have to die. But in all honesty, you did let us know, in some ways, that this was going to happen. A tale nicely told, thank you.
Take care - Dave

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Richards

2 Years Ago

Yes that is a cruel twist but as is oft the case, fact being stranger than fiction, the story was in.. read more
Dave

2 Years Ago

Thanks for the feedback.
Take care - Dave
you have proved that a is drawn to another world while reading stories marvelous editing and format well equipped with creativity

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Richards

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much for reading and commenting :)
The story is gripping and you've written it exceedingly well. The old sailor in me enjoyed it immensely. High marks!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Richards

6 Years Ago

Thank you greatly Samuel, I appreciate that. Glad you enjoyed it :)
A well told tale, injecting the historical event with a hint of realism in the voice of one of the mutinous crew. This brought the whole thing to life; very readable and enjoyable.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Richards

6 Years Ago

Thanks John. I read somewhere that a story is no more complicated than the voice of someone telling .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

287 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 13, 2017
Last Updated on July 1, 2017
Tags: Historical, Japan, Australia, England, ship, pirate

Author

William Richards
William Richards

Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand



About
I enjoy writing. I don't know why. It's just exciting when you create something believable that you made up. I'm sure you might agree. I have a wife, three boys and two cats. I live in the farth.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..