The World Beyond the Rain

The World Beyond the Rain

A Poem by Addict With a Pen
"

As children we would trace our hand along cold windows...

"

As children we would trace our hands along the cold windows

Of the rain spotted cars we always stayed in


Thinking nothing of it but a game to keep a raindrop at the tips

Of our small, scarless fingers

Believing the closer we watched it the longer it would stay

Being disappointed when the raindrop flies away

Never to be in the same spot again


It was something our mother would tell us to play

Distracting us from what we passed by through the window

The world beyond the rain

As she continued to shuffle through loose change


I never thought of it as a distraction from the pain

The distraction from the smell of marijuana mixed with rain

My vision never slipped from a raindrop I was holding

Because I had no reason but to play the game


One rainy day I caught you looking out past your window pane

Your eyes stopped sparkling as you finally found the truth

I searched your lonely pupils

And all I could see was so much pain


And then you started to rain

And I played the only game I’d been taught to play

I held the tear on your cheek, and you didn’t complain

We stood there awhile until your raindrop fell away


Then together we went back to watching the rain





© 2016 Addict With a Pen


Author's Note

Addict With a Pen
Comments and reviews are greatly appreciated!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This one hits so powerfully. The lead up to the impactful lines takes most of the poem but it fits so perfectly. The last two stanzas when you say what you are getting at are merely icing on the cake. There are messages to be found in every line in a way that is profound yet not overwhelming. This has to be one of my favorites from you

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Addict With a Pen

7 Years Ago

Thank you! I'm glad you liked it



Reviews

I believe you need to change your pen name, there is nothing hopeless in this writing. This is a fine bit of family life. Maybe not everyone's life, but some of us can recognise ourselves here. Personally the sound of rain on a car roof has always been soothing. A good write.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Addict With a Pen

7 Years Ago

Thank you, I appreciate the review.
You have perfectly captured a life of living in your words, that most of us would be lucky to comprehend even a partial segment of. Revolving full circle from childhood distractions to adulthood distractions and back again, with a lifetime of wonder and knowledge that cannot be taught in between. Exceptional write my friend. I can't add any more than that.

Posted 7 Years Ago


This has left me speechless. So powerful and captivating. Very well written. The last lines are incredible. Great piece!

Posted 7 Years Ago


I've wanted to review this for a while, but I've yet to find words to describe how hauntingly beautiful this is. When I first read this, I was so eager to leave a review but all I could do was stare at the computer screen and think 'what do I say?'

This is easily one of the most impactful poems I've read on this site . . . there's so much meaning and beauty in this piece . . . it's almost ethereal . . . reading this was a breath-taking experience . . . very few pieces impact me in this way . . . I'm mesmerized by this . . . still can't find the right words to describe this.

- William Liston

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Powerful and beautifully written - I didn't expect any less from you. In fact, you've exceeded my expectations once again. Each stanza tugged at my heart strings. A melancholic story yet when I reached the end, I still couldn't help but smile at your ingenuity. A masterpiece!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Addict With a Pen

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much, I'm glad you liked it!
This is intensely creative & brilliant! First, I love the childlike impressions of living in a car, being told to focus on the rain, so the young ones don't notice the ugliness beyond the pane of glass (beautiful details of playing with the raindrops). But I'm also getting another parallel meaning, which is sparked by the 6th stanza -- how we focus on the up-close day-to-day existence with another person, which can distract us from any bigger looming problems, either in the relationship or in the world at large. Either meaning is equally true-to-life & thought-provoking. In the end, I'm reminded of how my childhood family would focus on some harmless details of life, rather than seeing the tears that were on each other's cheeks becuz of the constant abuse.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Addict With a Pen

7 Years Ago

Thank you! I see what you mean by the dual meanings. The rain does not just mean the water on the wi.. read more
Love the last line!
Keep it up!!

Posted 7 Years Ago


This is incredibly moving. I really enjoyed the set up of the story, the game...
Very relatable because as a child I remember doing this but the heartbreaking moment came with the smell of marijuana and the ending just broke my heart again. It's sad but also a tender loving moment shared between two people. I like that it could be ANY two people. Mother/child, man/woman, friends...
I think this is just wonderful. I love it. It really reaches into our raw emotions.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Addict With a Pen

7 Years Ago

Thank you. It can be between any two people, and that's what I wanted people to see. In my eyes I se.. read more
I have to say, as I was reading this piece, all I was thinking about was the rain, but when the marijuana came into play, then all I could think of was the child looking away as his mother was doing something bad. As a man who will someday in the near future, to have a son and a duaghter, this is very powerful and sad at the same time, to have to make a game of stairing off at the rain dripping on the windows, just to try to be unaware of the mother doing marijuana, even if the child does not understand what is happening. for that to even happen, story or not, has an emotional impact. This is a great read and I thank you for writing this. 100/100 from me.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Addict With a Pen

7 Years Ago

Thank you, I'm glad you liked it.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

653 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on September 13, 2016
Last Updated on September 20, 2016
Tags: rain, depression, pain

Author

Addict With a Pen
Addict With a Pen

UT



About
Are you searching for purpose? Then write something, yeah it might be worthless Then paint something, then it might be wordless Pointless curses, nonsense verses You'll see purpose start to surfac.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


64 64

A Poem by Lydia Shutter