Gold (Prompt 1)

Gold (Prompt 1)

A Story by Hogwarts
"

In honor of Veteran's Day.

"
February 17, 1942

I hate war. No, I despise it. War took my father from me. It snatched my mother's smile, and It stole my happiness. I haven't seen my father in a year. We don't know where he is; if he is safe, or lying dead somewhere. Each day crawls along more slowly than the last, as if Time itself were growing tired. Every night we wonder if tomorrow will be the day that Time finally goes to sleep. Every morning we are disappointed that it doesn't. 
Last night, I was looking at the sun as it pulled up its covers. The sky was red and gold, setting fire to my eyes. I thought to myself, 
'The sky is probably red where father is, too. Stained with the blood of men.'
Then I started to cry, because I realized I didn't know if his blood colored the sky as well. I told my mother this, and she told me I forgot something. I asked her what I could have possibly forgotten, and she said that there was gold in father's sky also. I didn't know what she meant, so I inquired. 
She told me, "His sky is lit up gold, because we are going to win this war. His sky is gold because he will come home the victor. Our sky is gold because he will come home."

© 2015 Hogwarts


Author's Note

Hogwarts
Like most of my writing, this is unedited and I am open to some constructive criticism :D

(I wrote this for a contest, so that's why I put the prompt thing in the title)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow. beautifully written. I can feel the emotion of this girl and relate 100% to her.

Posted 8 Years Ago


My dad is a veteran, so this really sent chills up my spine. Loved it (:

Posted 8 Years Ago


Hogwarts

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much! That means a lot :)
damn. nearly speechless on your wording. I liked how you were describing how you felt towards war. It took your father. Snatched your mothers smile. Stole your happiness. I felt that part. along with the best line "stained with the blood of men". I could feel the sorrow, anxiety and uncertainty in not knowing whether your father's blood contributed of the others. Moving.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Hogwarts

8 Years Ago

Thanks :)
It's actually made up, my father is a pastor haha.
I wrote it in the perspec.. read more
Christopher Zayn

8 Years Ago

which makes it even better that you can conjure something that other people could relate to.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

305 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 11, 2015
Last Updated on November 11, 2015

Author

Hogwarts
Hogwarts

Grapevine, TX



About
Hi, I'm Neeley and I am 17. I don't really ever know what to put here so if you want to know more about me, just send me a message! :) more..

Writing
Blossom Blossom

A Poem by Hogwarts


Dear Neeley Dear Neeley

A Poem by Hogwarts