"Weird"

"Weird"

A Story by Quinn W
"

I'm "weird."

"
Many of you on this site think you know a lot about me, but, believe it or not, I haven't said everything about myself yet. Many people think that just because I believe something or do something differently, I'm weird. I'd like to meet someone "normal." I've never met a normal person, in fact, I don't even believe they exist. We're all different, so no one can be normal.
Let me tell you some more about myself:
Let's start with sexuality. I consider myself asexual. Many people don't believe in asexuality. They think it's just a phase or that I'm too young to know. Believe me, I know. People talk all the time about how teenagers, especially guys, have so many hormones flowing throughout them that they think about sex a lot. I'd say, from my own personal experience, that that's not true, but I know it is. I have friends, haha I know I have friends, that literally only talk about kissing boys/girls and losing their virginity. By the way, many of my friends are older than me, yet there are some that I know that are really embracing their bodies (and others's.) None of that appeals to me. I can look at someone and think they look attractive but I have no wants of kissing or anything beyond that. Some people might ask how I know if I've never had sex. To those people I ask, "How do you know you're straight/gay/etc., if you've never had sex with a boy/girl? You just know, trust me.
Now, we'll move onto my face. I don't wear makeup. Wow, a teenage girl that doesn't wear makeup? Nope. People, especially girls, ask me why all the time. Here's the answer: it gives me zits, takes a lot time to do, and costs money. My parents make me pay for the unnecessary things I want, unlike many other kids's parents. I'm not complaining either, I think it's a great thing and helps kids understand how money works and that you should spent it on things you actually need. So, I don't want to spend money on it, take the time to do it, or get even more acne. Plus, I like my face. : )
Next, let's talk about shaving. Don't do that either. A lot of people think it's unhygienic and gross. That's just too bad for those narrow-minded people. Sorry, if I offended any of you by the hair that naturally grows on my body. Should I shave my head too? Anyways, some people don't approve of it. Let me tell you why I don't shave. Like I said about makeup, it takes time and money. Do you know how much a razor costs? Geez. It also comes down to the fact that every time I shave, I get these horrible rashes, bumps, cuts, and ingrown hairs. It's just not worth it, man.
Also, just to piss some people off, I don't eat meat. Mwahahahaahahahahahaahahaha. It's mainly because it hurts my stomach a lot and takes a while to digest. I also feel for the animals, though.
Now, onto my actual point. I do/don't do these things BECAUSE THEY MAKE ME COMFORTABLE AND HAPPY. I can't tell you how relieved and free you feel when you stop caring about societal norms. If you really want to do something or not do something, go for it. Who cares what other people say? Psych... we all do. I understand that other peoples's opinions can impact a lot of things in our life. I'm still a teenager, remember? I'm like a freaking diamond with all the peer pressure on me. But, sooner or later, you have to realize that your happiness is worth it and if they don't accept you for who you truly are, they aren't your real friends. Don't deny yourself the things that make you happy. 

© 2016 Quinn W


Author's Note

Quinn W
"Life is about doing the things that make you happy, not the things that please other people. If you can please other people, that's a plus, but as long as you're not hurting anyone, you're golden." -Nicole Richie

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Quinn You are my hero haha. Kudos for you being you ! You have a great personality and one of the people I have met on here that I really enjoy getting to know!!!!!!!!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shame you cant have meat 😢

Posted 7 Years Ago


Quinn W

7 Years Ago

Lol, it just makes me feel sick to my stomach.
Your way of conveying your truths is very balanced & compassionate, as far as not making this into a rant that feels critical of others (a common mistake) while you're shirking off your own cloak of peer pressure. Your statement in the last paragraph: "We all do" is the ultimate in presenting your point of view while also being mindful of how others might feel. This is at the very heart of the best writing. Also, that you set this up as a "psyche" shows you have a sense of humor. Having true heart & a sense of humor . . . this will take you far in writing & everything else. To me, this kind of showing instead of telling changes many more hearts & inspires others to follow their authenticity. This is so clear & vulnerable & relatable!

With that said, now here's my story . . . I've never had a cell phone, I haven't had sex in 30 years even tho I find both genders attractive, I haven't worn undies, bra, make-up, or shaved anything in about that same length of time. You're growing up in the wrong era . . . you would've made an awesome hippie! *wink! wink!* (((HUGS)))

Posted 7 Years Ago


Quinn W

7 Years Ago

I so grew up in the wrong era, girl! You're amazing! thank you so much!
I've always hated the concept of "normal" as it undermines the reality of human uniqueness. Everyone is different, and we all should be able to embrace what makes us happy and unique (unless, of course, it's something morally wrong such as killing).

In the same way that I'm sure some people look down on you for not shaving, my classmates would give me hell when I stopped wearing my glasses as often. They'd say things like "William, you look so weird without your glasses. Put them back on." I'd usually respond, "B***h, no one asked you to look at me. Worry about your own f*****g life." (Of course, this wasn't the best way to handle it, but you get the point). I stopped wearing my glasses as often because I found out that wearing them unnecessarily could weaken the eyes, so I only wore them when I needed to.

There were other things in this piece that I related to, but I'd have to type an autobiography to leave them all in this review, so in short, let me just say this: We, as humans, will always (in one way or another) strive to be socially acceptable, but in this endeavor, it is important that we put self-happiness first. Sometimes, you just have to be yourself and give a deaf ear to the nay-sayers. I'm glad you wrote this to remind us of that.

- William Liston

Posted 7 Years Ago


Quinn W

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much! As always, your words inspire and uplift me.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

413 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 1, 2016
Last Updated on December 1, 2016

Author

Quinn W
Quinn W

SC



About
I have always enjoyed reading. It has taught me many things others just can't explain to you. It has also fueled my love of writing. I love writing short stories, they're my creative outlet, Mom would.. more..

Writing
Worthy Worthy

A Poem by Quinn W



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


I love my... I love my...

A Poem by Quinn W