DESERT SONG

DESERT SONG

A Story by Marie
"

Delerium in the desert...

"

     Sam could hear the desert singing to him�"rocks, cactus, sand. He plodded along, listening in a dazed delirium. His water had run out three days ago�"or was it four? Without any desert skills, he didn’t know which plants were edible, which might give him water. All he could do was stagger on, hoping for some sign of civilization.

 

     He’d lost track of things by now. Sam didn’t remember where he’d been, didn’t know where he was going. All he was sure of now was the singing: voices clear as crystal, pure as new snow…soft as that feather bed when he’d stayed at Grandma’s…sweet as the maple syrup Uncle Morris had tapped…

 

     Sam dreamed as he walked; dreamed of a lake spread across the desert. But when he bent down to get a drink, all he scooped up was a handful of sand. Finally he stumbled and fell. He lay on his back, looking up at the stars. Each one was a pool of water. The voices rose and fell like a mighty organ… chimed like Christmas bells… chanted like angels in a cathedral, mixed with incense and wine…

 

     And when Sam was ready, the voices sang him to sleep.

© 2015 Marie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

How sombre yet beautiful.

Note:
There are two random quotation marks in the very beginning, "Sam could hear the desert singing to him"rocks, cactus, sand. He plodded along, listening in a dazed delirium. His water had run out three days ago"or was it four?"

Posted 9 Years Ago


Marie

9 Years Ago

Those quote marks are suposed to be dashes. When I paste from Word to this site, that's what happens.. read more
I am not a big fan of brevity ... Why so? ... Because, I am a long winded wordy person, and brevity scares the honey right outta my comb ... But this ... This is brevity at its best, exemplified ... You have painted a very real movie-like mental image for your reader to walk, live, thirst, and die (die?) in ... Excellently and majestically done ... Truly a pleasure to read, even for an overly talkative old man like me ... I absolutely loved it ... Lastly, I see that you, too, like to use the long dash that this site robot renders as quotation marks where you don not want or need them ... LOL! ... Thank you, for sharing ... It was a treat of treats ...

Posted 9 Years Ago


Marie

9 Years Ago

Thank you. I try to go back and change those quote marks into dashes when i post a piece, but someti.. read more
Workvio

9 Years Ago

Yep, I hate those " marks ... LOL! Yes, we live in an ADHD generation where people now lack the att.. read more
I'm not sure if this was an intentional inspiration.
But I interpreted this as.
When Sam was lost in the desert and was physically dried and thirst to the point of delusion, He fell to his lowest, yet he took sight of the stars which are symbolic for angels which is also Angles of light.

There is actually a song sent out from these stars. Every living thing is alive by vibration. Degrees of light are degrees of vibration and vibration can be thought of as songs.(The Harmonic Spheres)

Anyhow..... I interpret.. When Sam was ready means that Sam had obviously time to meditate on his situation and I see that He was lullabyed and comforted into a state of acceptance.
Whether Sam lived or died has no bearing in my mind.
I really think Sam's thirst was quenched by the Pools of water delivered by the Stars (The Angels)
His Soul was quenched and that,is all that matters really.
Sam found his water in the desert.

Marie as usual you write the neatest writes and sometimes you surpass yourself and just utterly have me enchanted. this is another of one of those.
I regret that I don't come visit you more.


Posted 9 Years Ago


0 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Cryingkate

9 Years Ago

I see some typos.. please excuse them.. The sun is in my eyes and my diabetes is acting up affecting.. read more
Cryingkate

9 Years Ago

You know.... I'd love to hear you do your own review of this, now that time has passed esp...
Marie

9 Years Ago

I can't really review my own work. It's what I wanted to write; it says what I wanted to say.
Marie, In a way we could read into this as a metaphor of life, there are times we find ourselves lost in the desert. day to day living can make us delerious with stress, some find 'water' and survive others do not and give up. A good story.
Will

Posted 9 Years Ago


0 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Marie

9 Years Ago

Thank you. I meant it as sort of a prose poem...
getting lost in the desert must be one of the most harrowing thing that can happen.
the structure of the sentences and your descriptions are a joy to behold, Marie.

Posted 9 Years Ago


0 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Cryingkate

9 Years Ago

Sorry. to interrupt but saw this and am laughing with yous and Woody,, let me know when you get the .. read more
Woody

9 Years Ago

ok Kate. I'll make sure to let you know :)
Cryingkate

9 Years Ago

Thanks Woody. PS I have missed ya. I'll be around soon..
The man could have done worse. Apparently, that desert was all the hell Sam was ever going to see.
A grand story, Marie, succinctly told.

Posted 9 Years Ago


0 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Marie

9 Years Ago

Thank you. I thought, in a curious way, it ended rather well for Sam.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

832 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 9, 2015
Last Updated on January 9, 2015
Tags: Sam, song, desert, waer, stars

Author

Marie
Marie

San Antonio, TX



About
I have been writing for almost 60 years. Writers' Cafe is the best writing site I've found. If you send me read requests, expect me to be blunt. I don't like poor grammar, misspelled words or mistake.. more..

Writing
THE HANGING THE HANGING

A Story by Marie


TO G.H. TO G.H.

A Poem by Marie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


SUNSET SUNSET

A Poem by Marie