Beyond Valor

Beyond Valor

A Story by Sami Khalil
"

The sacrifice and the price to pay.

"

Beyond Valor…By Sami Khalil

An Analysis of a widow of a fallen hero…

Barreled waves crashed upon the flood of emotions, breaching the surface of jaded eyes, with noted crest and velocity.


To align her memory, of no unbreakable bonds, she saw in real time the slippage of pathless dreams into alabaster dirges.


Every day passed, she listened to riptides and the news of her husband, George Cavallaro, who was embedded in the Iraq war and, had the misfortune of being killed by an IED, in the line of duty, under a heightened sun and across grinding sand.


Upon hearing the news, immediately her thoughts were christened with tears, falling into the sink drains of topiary reflections.


Glaringly insecure, she questioned the validity of wars, or their legitimacy, with sustaining stares, albeit aslant.


Seasons began to fade into moments of aghast flows and withered blows. Voices fell silent at times into eternal oblivion, away from the essence of hope.


She rejoiced not in the minimal of mortified states and, had to remind herself, over and over, that a baby boy is on the way, semi-orphaned across the pages of life.


As she thought, things that linger, past and present, seem to be the homecomings of resurrected souls, alive in passions and flames.


She spoke no further of turbid confessions, as admittance had many shadows of eclipsed disdains.  


Off in the distance, the dying sun dotted the uninitiated nights, in sorrowful swoons.


 What becomes of a heart, any heart, loved to an extent, but be worthy of saving its memory, aside from the places where ashes lay.


In darkest hours, she read the last letter received from him with smiles, that retained the brokenness of drifted pleasures.


Out of her writs, and in the shield position, she was lulled by the gift of life, with bent posture, to be born cheerful and with a ruddy complexion.



She finally folded the letter, gazing mutely, then uttered,

Embers cold, darkened are the hues

Hearts restless, searching for clues

I shall await in my wrenching need

And resign in your arms, as I plead.       




Related image





                                                        

© 2017 Sami Khalil


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

"I love the line Immediately her thoughts were christened with tears"

Some great writing here.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

So glad you like it. Thank you so much dear poet for the lovely visit and kind sharing.
rich in language ...exploring the depths of a hero's widow is quite the challenge ..love the strong closing .. touches such a painful place yet has the comfort of bigger arms that hold us in our weakest hours :(
E.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much beloved poet and friend for this amazing review and kind visit. So glad you like i.. read more
What a beautiful and somber reflection.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much J. W. Hester for all. Greetings.
Sami,

You have mined the depth of tragedy's beauty and offer us gold. Tears wept!

Regards,
Al

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

Even your reviews are so poetic. I honor you. Thank you kindly.
Alfred Kukitz

6 Years Ago

You are honored as well giving us all the richness of your talent.
Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

:::: :))))))))))))
You have created a very beautiful and poignant picture here. Kudos.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much Avinash for all your love and support. It means a lot.
However proud the wives, siblings and parents of fighting man and women may be, they have to support their loved ones. And their support, emotional and physical strength need be a hundredfold knowing death might break their hearts.

Your blood raw but honest words echo what so many feel, Sami. War has left the agony of loss throughout history. Your widow's baby will never know his father's arms... but manufactured arms killed the man.

As always, your work touches both heart and mind.

Posted 6 Years Ago


emmajoy

6 Years Ago

If that's all i can do with my time, then so be it, my dear friend!
Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

Free time at least. Lol
::::)))))......
emmajoy

6 Years Ago

Hope so.. pray so, :)
Brutal truth, every soldier's family live in fear of this brutality..

she questioned the validity of wars, or their legitimacy..

Well is it reasonable..

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

So true and well said. Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to join us. Blessings of pea.. read more
Beautifully sad story,it is the realities of life.Love taken away by war.Good write,I enjoyed it;-]

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

So true and well articulated. Thank you so much dear poet for all. Glad to see you.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
BBP
Wonderful story wrapped in beautiful tragedy and tied up nicely with the poem at the end.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

You have given me the honor as you give you the thanks and appreciation. Blessings.
As always, the artwork you chose to accompany your words is so appropriate...and so beautiful. The families of soldiers who do not make it home have to live with only memories. They must keep the good times alive and continue to fight for the freedoms their loved ones fought for. Sami, this is a powerful write. Lydi**

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

Marvelous are your words and your lovely visit. I can't agree more. Grazie Mille.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1518 Views
37 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on October 4, 2017
Last Updated on October 4, 2017

Author

Sami Khalil
Sami Khalil

Tuscaloosa, AL



Writing
I Feel I Feel

A Poem by Sami Khalil



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..