Windows In Her World

Windows In Her World

A Story by pia

      She sat alone in her little room, locked away from the rest of the world, in a tiny jhonpri . The grilled window was the only vessel that made her feel a part of something, other than the grey walls, the broken bed and the dimmed light bulb. Beyond that window, there was a world which gave her occasional moments of bliss; the sound of laughter from the village children roistering in the murky river water, the smell of parathas and samosas dancing along with the winds, and the yearly village fairs, which brought everyone together. She sat next to the window, in the darkness, and watched this world move on.


   The woman was once a part of all this. Her life beyond those grills was much bigger. She had one thing she now wished she could feel again; hope. In her youthful days, she would splash herself in the river water, enjoy the warmth of the fire and smell of local kebabs. She had friends and a family to feel safe with. That life came crashing down on her, the day she turned sixteen. According to the villagers, she was old enough to be married. But to her, she was old enough to be the woman she desired. She heard of the wonders and achievements of women outside her little village. The woman wanted more than just a small village life. But, here she was, sitting in an isolated  jhonpri, away from the rest. No one spoke to her. The children were told that she was a witch and her jhonpri was a place of witch craft.  No one dared to come near her. They were told she was cursed with the values of the west and consumed by the breath of the devil.


   It was a crime for a woman to be herself in this village. The villagers saw it as a taboo. The women of the village were satisfied with their mundane lives. They were always told what society expected from them. They were raised to fit in the shapes made by that cruel society. But some were born to follow the path leading them away from the ‘norm’. This girl was different. And that was her crime. She saw windows at every point in her life; windows to escape from and find shapes she made for herself. And even after years, and even after the tragedy, she remained different.



   While she watched the children laugh and play, she placed her hand on her face. The burns didn’t hurt anymore, but the emptiness left inside her did. Her left eye’s vision was blurred, but she had learned to make use of her imagination. She had broken all mirrors. The mirrors were a constant reminder of the monsters God left unleashed in this world. She never saw herself as the monster, despite what others called her when they saw her face. The real monster was the man who entered her room late in the night. This monster was the man who had entered her life eighteen years ago with a bucket of acid. The monster was her husband, and this monster had sealed all the windows to her rejuvenation. 

© 2017 pia


Author's Note

pia
acid attacks are a very prominent issue prevailing in the subcontinent. many young girls and also women are subject to abuse and acid attacks from former husbands or men who fancy their hands in marriage. These women have only one crime. to speak up for themselves. And thats their tragedy. they shunned away or harmed for knowing their rights. I too am sometimes looked down on for being a woman stead fast on my beliefs. if not treated this severely, this issue is something everyone should be aware of.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

OMG Pia, please be careful if you are living in this type of situation. Your eloquent, beautifully written, violent, shocking and sad story left me reeling. I know it is a reality for many women. Your words are gentle and lyrical- even your description of the torture that occurred. She is shunned, burned with acid and living in prison, yet she makes the best and carries on. Amazing and inspiring work. Brava!

Posted 6 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

pia

6 Years Ago

I'm not exactly living in this traumatising part of society, however even in PAKISTAN'S modern socie.. read more
Annette Pisano-Higley

6 Years Ago

I applaud you for the difference you are making in rhe world. God bless.
Julie McCarthy (juliespenhere)

6 Years Ago

Yes I agree
I applaud and commend you be careful x
Very tragic what is happening



Reviews

This brought tears to my eyes
beautifully written though a tragedy still happening in l ots of places as you say
Ill pray for you all xx hopefully this will end someday with Gods help
such a strong message you gave thanks

Posted 5 Years Ago


You have deeply and powerfully expressed the injustices faced in our society. Thank you for sharing such a strong piece of writing.

Posted 5 Years Ago


pia

5 Years Ago

you are welcome
To write someone in this way what I can say to him Please do not stop writing, And this is what I want to say to you, Write Write , and write until the writing reaches its end, and no end in writing ... Continue, your way, your story make me waiting for you to see a brilliant writer,your story in fact it's about many of the women in the world, it's a good speaker about their situations , my greetings , Yousra*.

Posted 5 Years Ago


pia

5 Years Ago

thank you so much
Wow, I've read a lot about these acid attacks. They are so cruel! This little story is so well-written and really amps up the emotion. Great job!

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

thank you so much
Your writing is incredible.. brilliant.. BECAUSE every phrase, each paragraph and the finish proves the existence of evil. Mankind no longer exists in this modern world.. it is no more or less Man-Unkind.

As I understand facts available, those devils, those culprits, are rarely hunted or even accused - is found. Seems justice and compassion is minimal. Treating women as animals is due to nothing else but pig ignorance.

I rant because am appalled. You say you represent and speak out because you can. Please God, our Creator, I pray there are others like you, prepared to stand tall and somehow, beat what is an insult and betrayal of mothers Every woman can be a bearer of sons.. and yet those sons are despicable villains who behave like creatures that rose from the oceans into caves.

Forgive my rant.. but have friends working abroad who've seen certain things first hand. Your courage and intelligence is second to none. Your language, your prose is first class, your ethics the same. (Pia)

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

Emma this was a beautiful review
And it motivated me even more to stand with the oppressed a.. read more
emmajoy

6 Years Ago

Wishing you every success, truly do. There are too many ignorant people around in this world that t.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Vic
Thanks for writing this. It is awful, the things that are happening to women and girls to this day because men think of them as property to be owned and punished. Ignoring it or pretending it's all good now does not help anyone. Keep writing your stories so that these women's struggles remain front and centre in the public mind. Only by acknowledging these crimes can change be made.

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much vic
Ohhhhh!
I couldnt even imagine what this would feel like
We feel isolated to small small things in our life while these women victims are the real heros of our society.
I am sorry but;
I wanted to ask do u like pakistan?
and I actually fear to talk about the people there because what we got to hear is The situation of terrorism or war :(
People should really think more better than Jihad!

and you are really beautiful :)

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

No no Pakistan is a very mixed society
You have open minded ppl and closed minded people read more
Pragati Chaudhary

6 Years Ago

Okie
Thats really great!
but, in pictures it really looks - horrified :)
Love .. read more
pia

6 Years Ago

Well media chooses to show what people wanna see sadly. Pakistan has its bad places but it also had .. read more
what an awesome depiction of heinous hypocrisy posed by the society...loved it..thank you for sharing :)

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much !!
It's pathetic but true. Acid attacks and domestic violence. Still in many backward areas, women are treated in same way as you have depicted or even worse. Also, you might also have heard that many landlords do not allow the marriage of their sisiters or daughters in fear of division of their property. Instead they remain imprisoned. That's really pathetic.
A stand should be taken against these sick humans who are a curse to humanity. They think that it'll make them known as 'Men' if they treat their women as a piece of crap. You've really put your effort in raising voice against this by writing such an amazing article.
This is so amazing, Pia.
May Allah Bless you. Thanks for sharing it. :)))

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

thank you so much !!!!
pia

6 Years Ago

also yesss ive heard of that as well !!!
Ghania

6 Years Ago

You're always Welcome. :))
you would have to be a sick piece of crap to do this to another person,,

Posted 6 Years Ago


 wordman

6 Years Ago

shoot them
pia

6 Years Ago

These people deserve some thug worse than just getting shot
 wordman

6 Years Ago

s sweet s i m,i could tke bll bt to them,or cut their ???? off

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2644 Views
29 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on August 31, 2017
Last Updated on September 2, 2017

Author

pia
pia

Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan



Writing
chapter 1 chapter 1

A Chapter by pia


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by pia



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Preacher Man The Preacher Man

A Poem by Gee