Peace and Harmony

Peace and Harmony

A Story by Norma M Sutton
"

Personal observations from a shepherd.

"

Peace and Harmony

How would you describe peace and harmony?  This is what it is to me.

 

Peace is sitting outside enjoying the warm sun and a cool breeze while listening to the quite sounds of my flock and nature.  What sounds are those you might ask?  The tearing of grass and the crunching as it is pulled and eaten; that quiet burp, followed by the grinding of teeth on pad as the cud is chewed; a soft baa as a mother calls her lamb or kid; each sound as quite and comforting as a lullaby.  Other things I hear are wood creepers as they pick bugs out of the pecan tree, the flap of the rooster's wings followed by his loud crow; two cats hiss and spit as they wrestle one another.  I feel an inquisitive nose as Isis, once a bottle baby, comes for her special attention.  I smell wild onions as she burps in my face when she reaches to taste my chin, maybe it's a kiss instead of a taste. Whatever it is, it only adds to the tranquility of the day.
   

Harmony is looking out across the field and seeing sheep and goat laying side by side.  Not to far in the background is Atlas, the livestock guardian, and Border, the farm collie.  Piled on top of Atlas, or near him, is a cat, lamb or kid.  Sometimes there is a chicken there as well.  Overhead I see a blue sky sprinkled with billowing clouds and a jet stream.  A shadow blocks the sun and when I look I see a buzzard as he circles in search of some unfortunate creature.  From the woods I hear the call of a hawk and watch as she soars over the treetops.  The bluebirds are back, the gold finches are turning gold again and the cardinals are the brightest I've seen them. 
   

This is my hideaway, my retreat.  Each time I sneak away with the girls I leave the hustle and bustle of our modern world and hide my face in the bosom of Mother Nature.  I feel the softness of her hands in the breeze, smell her perfume of flowers, fresh grass and soft earth.  Everywhere I look I see her beauty.
   

How would you describe peace and harmony?

© 2008 Norma M Sutton


Author's Note

Norma M Sutton
Just to let you know. The picture is of three goats. The sheep were laying in the shade.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow! Excellent stream of thought here1 Great use of vivid expressiveness! Through the eyes of a shepard, nice touch!
xx

Posted 13 Years Ago


Nice choice of words in this piece. The reader can feel the warmth, smell the grass and watch the scene just as if they were there. Better yet, it makes them want to be there!

Donn

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is a beautifully moving expression that is simply filled with a sense of peace... Loved the tender thoughts and lightness that you've shared here!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Thanks for letting me review your story. It's great. I dont like to criticise other's work because everyone has their own style of writing and i dont believe that one person's style is better another, as long as it gets the message across that you are trying to portray. i am also into continuing the conversation to make like a discussion on that topic and what people think about the message that you are saying.
I'll send you an email.. as my pc is about to freeze up.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

328 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 9, 2008

Author

Norma M Sutton
Norma M Sutton

Bostic, NC



About
Norma Moore Sutton has written and published two children's books: The First Lamb and Harry Goes To The Fair She has written and published the first book in the Haunting Memories Series: Matthe.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Love Love

A Poem by Tate Morgan