The Crusade

The Crusade

A Poem by Mauricio Montoya
"

Spoils of war

"

                                       The  Crusade      

 

Warriors ready for battle must now surrender to peace.
A sovereign nation unwilling to concede, without aberrations.
Blaring siren's past the scatter bodies that remain in streets.
Holy man yells God is great and demands retaliation.
 
Motherless child in the confusion cries for maternal love.
Nameless bullet awaits a soldier who aims to stay out of sight
bombs explode in succession as birds of pray roar above.
All in the name of democracy in a sky lit night.
 
Tyrant leader hangs as the puppet master gloats.
geyser gushing oil at the amount of lives it cost.
United Nations resolution casts a no show vote.
Cause the weapons of mass destruction left them at a lost.
 
Meanwhile back in the country where our leaders protect the free.
An act of Congress, they debate, for a law that will never pass.
While a group of protesters burn a flag for the entire world to see.
Free enterprise for Texaco which skyrockets the price of gas.

 

 

From the beginning of time mans need to etch his mark in history

Plunder the spoils of war from the treasure of their glory.

Answers from question, solution for problems, all good in theory.

One day from fable to legend, someone will write the untold story.

                  

                                      By Mauricio Montoya

© 2011 Mauricio Montoya


Author's Note

Mauricio Montoya
I went through few draft before I could finish this, so I thank you
for your input.
Mauricio

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Battles are really such monstrous events. It's foolish to get involved in killings just so temporary peace could be attained. The world of politics sure is one big irony. I like the nearly mocking way show this stand on wars. It's agreeable.

Keep Writing. ^___^

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Battles are really such monstrous events. It's foolish to get involved in killings just so temporary peace could be attained. The world of politics sure is one big irony. I like the nearly mocking way show this stand on wars. It's agreeable.

Keep Writing. ^___^

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

nicely penned, mauricio...the political criticism mentioned has always been something i keep thinking about. Democracy or dictators...they are all the same. In a world plagued by hatered, power and meaningless uproar peace is wandering like an abandoned child.

good job with this write, my friend.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Meaningful poem, I like the choice of title, nice one :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I think we agree here about the foolishness of war beautiful tribute to the unsung unheard cries of the innocent

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is one of your stronger voiced poems. All the images here are strong, connected and structured. What we all need now, Warriors for a crusade of peace. Good message Mauricio.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This just makes it more clear, we are losing who we were and no matter what fighting is going to happen
"Answers from question, solution for problems, all good in theory.
One day from fable to legend, someone will write the untold story."
I love this part, it's practically saying we can ask why and find ways to stop it, but until it happens it doesn't matter... and there well always be someone like there is now to write the words of history (though if you noticed history has be rewritten many times)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Well resumed in those paragraphs. Isn’t it surprising that our modern world is still so marked with such ideas and practices? Looking and hearing about all those trillion dollars and euros bailouts here and there, one cannot wonder why all these happened in the first place. You do have the courage, or maybe the lucidity to remind people about their responsibility. But is our world only responsible?

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mauricio, this is a really insightful and thoughtful piece of work. I really like the way in which it depicts the two sides to the same coin - which brings out the note of satire that lurks sagely within the work.

I'd be proud of this line in particular:

"geyser gushing oil at the amount of lives it cost"

The title, too, has a power of its own. It links most directly with the concluding verse and therefore emphasises its point. It subtly guides the reader into the poem's overall message and secretly binds the poem from behind the lines.

This poem also has a kind of traditional feeling to it which is quite refreshing in a way. Really nice.

Posted 13 Years Ago


"all in the name of democracy" Isn't that just the truth.

You're very to-the-point in a crafty way that drew me in to read this. Your rhymes aren't forced and fit very well. I find a lot of political/societal criticisms on this site, many of them very good, and this piece definitely is one of the better one's I've read. I'll have to read this a few more times to truly absorb your message/views. Great write :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Excellent poem friend! There is a lot that the powers that be need to answer for! There is no freedom in the true sense of the word anymore!

Peace, positive, peaceful resistance is needed, spreading the word, this is an excellent piece :) xx

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

307 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 23, 2010
Last Updated on January 16, 2011

Author

Mauricio Montoya
Mauricio Montoya

oakland, CA



About
Love to draw and cook from time to time, when I'm not drawing I’ll write poems. My favorite poet is Edgar Allen Poe. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Last Home Last Home

A Story by zainul