No Country For Poor People

No Country For Poor People

A Story by Dr. Tim Williams
"

A Republican agenda that is for the rich continues to thrive.

"
In a world of undeniable hostility where at any moment a terror so horrendous could spark a global catastrophe millions the world over continue to languish hopelessly in desperation. A desperation of lack of hope and opportunity continues to cloud over so many millions of lives. Sure, humanity will no doubt continue to make scientific advances for the betterment of mankind yet, so few are able to afford the price and benefit from all these scientific advances. The question remains will mankind on their own volition ever build a society where benevolence, compassion, and a true fellowship be the framework of that society? Will all those millions now be able to enjoy all these scientific marvels of the day? As it stands today the answer is no. The world today is driven by selfishness and greed. The United States is no exception either. A country ruled by the rich and the infamous.
 
It is quite evident that today the Republicans and President Trump are creating an agenda that is far removed from the realities of millions of United States citizens.  Beguiling the public and convincing the voters that ultra conservatism while denying the basic safety nets that so many have needed to rely on just to keep living will in fact make America Great. The common sense that used to prevail along with the rational of compromise that existed in government has been replaced by the selfishness and greed of legislators and lobbyists. Meanwhile the government that is supposed to work for all the people has turned into a oligarchy form of dictatorship that is void of compassion for the less fortunate. 

From humble beginnings of over 250 years ago America has evolved into a nation controlled not by the people but by wealth and greed. A nation whose legacy once was of compassion, humility, and a genuine humanity toward their fellow man. That is not so today. What is happening today is that the widening of the wealth disparity gap has only continued to grow wider. The prognosis is that for the next few decades unless political policies are invoked that somehow manages to bridge this gap the majority of Americans will be at the mercy of the all too powerful wealthy few.
 
The plight of the poor, the destitute, the low wage earner, our seniors, the indigent, and the sick are all increasing in numbers while the few all too powerful wealthy continue to amass more wealth in the process. With the vast numbers of poor growing their ability at influencing political policy to help alleviate many of the injustices that continue to keep so many Americas at the bottom of the income mobility ladder has almost completely disappeared. With more riches flowing into the bank accounts of the already rich have made it most impossible for the rest of America to ever gain a foothold that would enable them to even reach that ladder of upward mobility.  
 
As the poor increase in numbers their political power disappears. It is said that the growing income inequality, and the lack of opportunities especially for African American males in America today is the primary cause of racial turmoil that has continue to surface through-out the country. We have seen race riots because so many people are poor, angry, and yes resentful. The solution seems to have been just send in more police, the national guard and impose curfews and yet these outbursts of anger and frustration continues. People are becoming so desperate that the only recourse is now violent protest. These protests now turning violent venting their anger and frustration that the status quo only continues. Now, some may question the rise of Islamic Extremists that have penetrated our society here in America are doing so because of the status quo that only continues to keep the majority of Americans poor.
 
Are we now no country for poor people? Just look around: Florida is just one of so many states that harbors an open attitude that only favors the rich. Too many other state houses all around the country as well as Washington have fallen in line where legislators continue their assault on the poor.  As contentious as this new reality is the facts remain that the wealth and opportunities have only favored the rich is the reality facing us today.  It is as though we really are becoming no country for poor people.

© 2017 Dr. Tim Williams


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

you speak raw truth of the future we face as individuals and as a nation
with ease of speak you give importance of the negative effects that many are soon to become victims of

well done well written well noticed



Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

365 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 21, 2017
Last Updated on June 21, 2017
Tags: Poverty, Republicans, Trump, USA

Author

Dr. Tim Williams
Dr. Tim Williams

Tampa, FL



About
A feature writer for the Tampa Bay Examiner. Founded the Department of Economic Development for the cities of Salem and Brockton, Mass. more..

Writing