Chapter Two: A Binding Fate

Chapter Two: A Binding Fate

A Chapter by Stacy Purvis
"

When fate steps in and almost takes the life of a writer, one nurse puts her career on the line to save him. But can she save him before the past catches up to him?

"
Dr. Bohannon finished his rotation an hour before Charlie arrived but due to some schedule mix-ups, he was still there when the call came in. Luckily for Charlie, Dr. Bohannon was a fighter and he wasn't going to let Charlie die on his watch.
They worked on Charlie for what seemed like forever, and once they established a rhythm, he was put on life support and shipped to the ICU.
Dr. Bohannon, covered in blood, retired to change and recover, himself, in the doctors lounge. It had been a particularly hard day.

Charlie wasn't "out of the woods" yet, so to speak. Although his vitals were currently stable, he had a long, hard road ahead and his "life" was only just beginning.

Anna's feet were killing her. These long shifts were tiresome and sometimes late at night, they could be very lonely. Most of Anna's patients were in comas, but she would talk to them anyway. Inside, she carried the feeling that not only could they hear her, but she was honestly making a difference in their lives. For Anna, it was difficult watching family members "pull the plug".
She thought it was the cruelest thing anyone could ever do to another human being because secretly, she felt she could save them all.
Charlie was new to her rotation and currently his chart read, "John Doe 031720133", as no one knew who Charlie really was. There was no identification on him, nothing linking personal information in his back pack, and in fact, no one had called to claim him. The police were actively searching databases but thus far, they had produced nothing. Charlie was literally, a nobody.
Anna kept him clean and dry. She began reading to him daily. Days turned into weeks, and weeks into months. She began to keep a journal on current events for him, and she would read the entries out loud. Sometimes, late at night, when no one else was around, she'd hold his hand, sing to him, and tell him that everything would be all right. Through it all, she believed it.
The wounds were healing with time. His hair had grown back, broken bones healed neatly back into place and they were becoming stronger, and yet, he remained silently asleep through it all...or so it would seem.
Time was running out for Charlie. With no clues as to who he really was, no family to claim him, and medical bills piling up, Anna feared the worst. She began to devise a plan to get Charlie to wake up from his coma. Of course it was a long shot, but considering the alternative, she knew she had nothing to lose.
Perhaps it was at that defining moment when she discovered she had developed a bond with "John Doe 031720133." Whatever the case may be, she wasn't going to sit back and watch him die.


© 2018 Stacy Purvis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This story can make me relate to how tiring school in general is! I know being a doctor and student are two different things, but getting good grades as a student to become something is hard :D

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

127 Views
1 Review
Added on March 13, 2017
Last Updated on May 14, 2018
Tags: dearjohndoe, johndoe, anna, nurse, romance, story, book, xosassystaceox, writer, writing


Author

Stacy Purvis
Stacy Purvis

Columbus, OH



About
Altruistic Enigmatic Polymath | Writer, Poet, Actress, Musician, EMT. I'm an Artist. I paint pictures of the verbal kind. ☯ 333 more..

Writing