The Asylum Ch. 1

The Asylum Ch. 1

A Chapter by caitlin

Jennifer’s mother carried the last box into their new apartment and set it down in the small living room, among the other boxes. “Do you want to help me unpack?”

Jennifer looked at the boxes in the living room. There weren’t many of them, but the size of the living room made it looked like there were a lot. “I think I’m gonna go for a walk and get some air, it’s kind of stuffy in here. But, if you aren’t done unpacking by the time I get back, then I’ll help you.

Tammy sighed. “Okay, I guess that’s fine. Just, remember that the town has a curfew. So, make sure you’re back before dark. I don’t know what the consequences are for braking curfew here and I don’t want to find out what they are because of you staying out too late.

Jennifer rolled her eyes. “I know, mom. I’ll be back before dark, I promise.” She opened the front door and stepped outside. It was still almost unbearably hot out despite the fact that the sun would set in less than an hour. Jennifer looked around for a minute. The building next to the apartment caught her attention. It was and an old building and it was kind of creepy looking. It sent chills down Jennifer’s spine as she stared at it. A few of the bricks were missing from the building and the old wooden door had several large gashes in it, gashes that Jennifer thought looked like they had been caused by somebody who had tried to break into the building with and ax… or maybe had tried to break out. There was an old sign hanging crocked just above the door. Jennifer could tell that there was writing engraved on the sign, but the sign was too weathered to be able to tell what it said. Most of the windows on the building were broken or cracked. Jennifer stared at the window at the top of the three-story building. A man appeared to be staring back at her from the window, but she figured it was just her imagination. There was no way anybody could be living in the building. It was too old and run down. Jennifer looked away from the window, and then looked back. Sure enough, when she looked back, the man was gone. Jennifer shook her head and started walking down the street until she saw a trail that led into the woods. She thought about following the trail, but figured it was too late.

When Jennifer got home, her mother was putting dinner on the dinning table. “I just threw some finger foods into the oven for dinner. I know it’s not a great dinner, but it was quick and easy.” Tammy sat down across from her daughter. “How was your walk?”

Jennifer shrugged her shoulders. “It was okay… kind of boring. There isn’t much in this town. Why did we have to get a house out here when you work in the city?”

“This is all we could afford. You know that, Jennifer. If I could have gotten us a house in the city, I would have. But, the houses in the city are just too expensive. I know the town is old and small and that there isn’t much here, and I know that the apartment is small, but you’ll get used to it. As, soon as I have some cash saved up, I’ll find us a house in the city, I promise.”

“Maybe I could get a job too, help you save up some cash, that way we could get a house in the city sooner. And, I wouldn’t have to stay here all day everyday with nothing to do.” Jennifer looked at her mother with hope. She had never had a job and she longed for one, especially if it meant that it could get her and her mother a house in the city, and make it so she wasn’t stuck doing nothing all day everyday.

“No, you don’t need a job Jennifer. I can save up for us on my own, and I’m sure you’ll find something to do around here.”

“Oh come on, mom. I’m eighteen years old and you won’t let me get a job. At least then I could get some money for myself if you won’t let me help you save up. And, there’s nothing to do around here but sit around here and watch TV.”

“You could go to school, finish your last year.”

“Mom, I already finished my last year of school. I graduated last year. They pushed me ahead a year. Remember?”

“I know, but one extra year never hurt anybody, and it would give you something to do.”

“No, mom.”

“Okay, then go to college this fall rather than taking a year off and going next fall.”

“It’s almost the end of summer. It would take them forever to let me know if I were accepted or not, there’s no way I would be able to start this fall.”

Tammy thought for a moment. “Yeah, good point. Just, don’t worry. You’ll find something to do. And, you don’t need a job to get your own money. You know that if there’s anything you want I’ll get it for you.”

“Right now, the only thing I want is a house in the city where there is stuff to do and people to meet. But, you say we can’t afford that right now.” Jennifer shook her head and threw a few pizza poppers on her plate while she thought about the building next to the apartment. There was a knock on the door and Jennifer jumped.

Tammy stared at her daughter for a second. “Why so jumpy? It’s just somebody knocking on the door.” She got up and opened the door. A middle-aged man in old and dirty clothes stood outside the door.

“Hello. I saw you bringing some boxes into the apartment earlier and I thought I would come and welcome you to the town.” The man’s voice was raspy and a little eerie. He looked over Tammy’s shoulder and stared at Jennifer. “We haven’t had any children in this town for ages. It’s mostly just older couples.” The man smiled at Jennifer. His teeth were yellow and most of them were cracked or chipped. Jennifer threw a fake smile at the man, then got up and went to her room.

The guy crept Jennifer out, though she didn’t know why. After a few minutes she heard the door close and she went back into the dinning room.

Tammy was already back at the table eating her dinner. Jennifer sat down and pushed her plate away. “Aren’t you going to eat?”

Jennifer shook her head. “I’m not really hungry.”

“But you haven’t eaten anything since we left this morning.”

“I know. I’m just not hungry. I think I’m just gonna watch some TV.” Jennifer got up and went into the living room. She turned on the TV and laid on the old worn out couch, which, like most of the other furniture in the apartment, had already been there when Jennifer and Tammy got there.


© 2011 caitlin


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
Added on October 10, 2011
Last Updated on October 10, 2011


Author

caitlin
caitlin

Knoxville, TN



About
Allpoetry Playlist by caitlin mcgee on Grooveshark I love reading, writing, watching movies, playing video games, playing football with my guy friends, playing baseball and basketball, listening .. more..

Writing
Run Run

A Poem by caitlin


I Wait I Wait

A Poem by caitlin