Show Your ISBN At The Door : Forum : Outline, Seat-of-the-Pants or ..

Outline, Seat-of-the-Pants or Both

16 Years Ago

How do you write? Do you carefully outline your story before beginning to write or do you just sit down and start writing and write where the story takes you? Some people use a combination of approaches. How about you?

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Hi Jerry,

I use both methods depending on what I'm working on.  My children's picture books are observations of situations I see my animals get into and then sitting down and thinking about what they would be thinking if they were children.  With the Haunting Memories series it is different.  Matthew's Legacy started out as a re-accuring dream and I really did write it Seat-of-the-Pants, but the other twelve or so books in the series are already outlined.  Now I just have to sit down and work on telling the story.  I do use many every day happening when I write.  I try to make a mental note of anything I see or feel during the day that stands out in my mind.  When I'm really smart I note it in my phone as I carry it with me most of the time - I lose notebooks faster than I can buy them.

Norma