Writers Plus+ : Forum : Are you a polyartist?

[reply] [quote]

Are you a polyartist?

17 Years Ago

The term polyartist is now used by some to denote artists who do more
than one art.

I am definitely one....primarily a composer of instrumental music, a poet
who does not use my poetry with my music except on rare ocassions,
and a non-fiction author.

I think it's interesting how we settle down on our combination of arts.

Some are painters/musicians, some poets/actors, some poets/vocalists,
and so on.

--
Robert Pearson
ParaMind Brainstorming Software
Creative Virtue Press/Telical Books/Regenerative Music
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

People do tend to glom onto some unique combinations of art forms.
Me? You may not have seen my mix before.
First and foremost, I guess, I am a classically trained percussionist. At least, that's what my degree is in. But is it where my artist heart lies?
No, in my heart I'm a jazz drummer, and vibraphonist, and bassist.
Then a writer of poems,
then a magician, of all things,
then a writer of stories,
THEN a classical percussionist.
So what am I?
I think all of these have a common thread - music, writing, and magic. I think it's a matter of how you present the work. In all three of those areas, the idea is the important part, and the work is hidden. This is true also of painting and sculpture, but I think to a lesser degree, because the telltale marks of the effort are part of the piece. In music, writing, and magic, especially magic, the best art seems effortless. Your hand is hidden, but the product speaks what you need it to say on its own.
It's all magic, really.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Yeah, I am difinitely a polyartist. It is both a strength and a weakness. I have a degree in philosophy, which greatly influenced my writing, and to a lesser extent, my art. But over the last few years my focus has centered more on my art. Having two major forms of expression really taxes my time. I think I may need three seperate lives to meet all of my goals. So while it is nice to have many modes of expression, it is also a constant battle to find the time to get everything done. ----Jonah----
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

i'm a polyartist... if awesomeness is an artform... i believe it is.
i'm joking of course. i play guitar and piano, i sing, i write (poetry/short stories) i can't paint for the life of me though =/ i wish i could.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I have known PolyMath for quite some time. PolyArtist--Tres Cool.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Hey All,

Well for me, like John, I am a trained Percussionist, except my specialities are in Hand Drums (always wanted to learn Vibraphone etc. but never got to grasps with the tuned notation hehe), so more world music, but I love Jazz Drumming too ;) played in a Jazz Band for a good number of years, loved it! Though that was mainly as a conga player with a year playing kit ( a drum set for Americans).

I started training when I was about 7, so I am not too sure which I started first, drumming or writing. I played the recorder before I begun Percussion, so maybe music, who knows? I know I sure forget hehe.

I would deffinatly say that music and writing are two of my favrioute art forms, however now I have started University I am starting to warm upto photography and films much more due to the 3D animation I am doing. Also drawing but I'm not too hot at drawing lol.

Art is just magnificent!!

God bless

Nate
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I fit the profile. Writing is my main gig. I make my living as a journalist. I devote the bulk of my time outside of the day job writing as well, stories, poetry and a couple fits and starts on novels.

When I'm not writing, however, beads and fibers of all sorts make me giddy. I'm not talking simple stringing, which I totally respect. I love off-loom bead weaving and can picture covering just about everything in beads. For those not aware of this art form, I found it explained beautifully in a research paper on the history of beads that I just read. With a string of beads the focus is on the beads as art. With weaving, the focus is on what the beads sewn together create. That's paraphrasing, of course, but I love it!

I also sketch portraits.

I'm the product of a sculptor and a photographer/accountant, so being polyartistic makes sense. Of course, it doesn't have to make sense. It just happens to in my case. ::biggrin::

Cheers!
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I draw, write, 3D model, texture and play drums. I also make the odd tune in garageband when I feel like it.

Yeah i guess ::biggrin::
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Well I guess I fit the bill!

I'm primarily a computer graphic artist and web designer... I'm also involved in the Classical Music Development Foundation of Trinidad and Tobago which I co-founded, though I'm not a musician myself and stopped singing years ago.

I write, mostly poetry but also song lyrics, I'm dabbling in scriptwriting and I'm planning a novel.

I also bake a line of specialty cheesecakes whose recipes I invented. I like fooling around with different flavours, and cheesecake being a favourite of mine, it was a natural progression for my friends to start ordering their preferences

::tongue::
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Well, reading these posts convinces me that i, too, am a polyastist.
I play a variety of musical insturments, i do theatre, write, paint, draw, and photography.
It keeps me busy but I love it!
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

people keep telling me i should focus on one thing ... that i would really get farther if i focused my efforts ... either within the different forms of writing or visual art i do or just between the writing and the art ... but i can't do it ... one seems to open up the other ... if my words are blocked, i turn to images ... to form and general composition ... to color and shade and hue ... to slip of clay or bend of wire ... whatever feels right at the moment ... and often it is these images or representations or objects i create which spur the thoughts to coagulate and form some sort of representation of their own ... so, despite the advice i so often receive, to figure out what i want to do and do it ... the entreaties that spreading oneself so thin only makes one mediocre at whatever one tries to do ... i don't buy it and think that limiting myself to any one artform would only make me less than i am, not more ... nice to hear a bit from those who are like minded ...
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I'm a music major I play oboe and English horn. I also paint and do tons of writing (poetry and other). I used to be involved in theater and would like to get back to it.

I'm interested in going into Expressive Arts Therapy, which is like art or music therapy except it combines all the healing effects of all the art forms. Glad to be in this group! ::smile::
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I write poetry mainly formal rhyming poetry I paint and draw my favourite medium is coloured pencils of which I have a ridiculous number I also cook another art form for which you get instant feedback empty plates and satisfied smiles.

Not brilliant at any of them but who cares I do it for sheer pleasure
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Hi everyone. I'm new to this group, and I'm glad there are others like me. I am foremost a writer of fantasy, poet, painter, and I dance. I also cook and draw with colored pencils. I paint better than I draw though! ;) I love them all, and I don't want to give up any of it!
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Count me into the PolyArtist group as well ;)

I'm a classically trained flautist and vocalist...I've also taught myself several other instruments. I've been writing poetry and lyrics for about 10 years or so now. I am a spell crafter (not big on the term magician, lol)...very spirit/magick centered, and my life is, I suppose, in and of itself an artform because of that. I am an avid photographer, as well...and my boyfriend said he wants to teach me how to paint, but I'm not sure how well THAT'S gonna go, lol! ;) I'm also an actress :)

So, there ya go ;) Nice to meet you all!
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I am a polyartist. I write poetry, act, and try to paint; however, more times than not, I fail. ::cry::

Art is my favortie means of expression. I can say how I feel in a poem, and be someone else in a play.

It's quite an enjoyable thing.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I think the great thing about art (in all its forms) is that it's all about personal expression...so as long as you're being true to yourself and your vision, there is no real failure!
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I'm a writer/actress/singer/violist/artist/photographer/director/dancer.

And I'll try anything once.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I like to call myself 'hypercreative'. I'm not happy unless I have at least a couple projects on the go. I write primarily, but I love photography, making music (guitar) and painting as well. I'd die if I didn't have a creative outlet and I'm never restricted to just one.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Yep, I'm there too. I'm a composer of modern classical music, although my muse is on an extended holiday. She only appears long enough to tap me on the shoulder with ideas, but doesn't stick around to see me carry them through. The writing muse however, is jumping up and down on me right now.

OUCH!

Yes, she's still there. She won't even let me come up for air.

Someday I'll finish my piano concerto. ::sad::

Occasionally, I play some trombone, too.

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!

OK, I've got to get back to it.

First Page first
Previous Page prev