Writers Plus+ : Forum : Are you a polyartist?

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

The Art is the act of imagination, the rest is just nitpicking.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Reading over what others have written, I guess I, technically, have four artforms under my belt. Unless you count coloring books ::biggrin:: I write fiction, poetry and non-fiction and I draw. Mostly pencil but occasionally I'll dig out some colored pencils, charcoal pastels or ink pens. I try to paint but it's not as easy as Bob Ross used to make it look, cranking out some spectacular landscape in a half an hour. I sing but no longer with any sort of seriousness.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I do consider myself as a polyartist...maybe? Generally, I write more poetry than prose, and I write lyrics also. Along with my writing abilities, I am a muscian. I have played the piano (11 years), violin (4.5 years), viola (5 months) and guitar (1 year). I do write lyrics too, but seldom combine them with my musical compositions.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

hi everyone. new here. this thread first caught my attention. ::smile::

i guess i could consider myself as a polyartist, too. i must admit though that, save for 1 creative writing class, i haven't had any formal training in any of the art forms i find myself dabbling in.

anyway, drawing/illustrating is perhaps what you could consider as my forte. my mom says when i was a child she made me choose between a ball and a pencil, and i chose the latter. :)

i also write. prose, mainly. i'm not too confident with my poetry skills. though i've gone that direction too. so it's mainly short stories and essays.

i also play the guitar and a little bit of piano, flute, drums and a local instrument called a "banduria" (a stringed instrument as well). i had a band in high school. and was part of an activist organization in college which used art mainly as a conduit for protest.

lately, i've also gone in to photography. so far, i'm enjoying it a lot.

however, as i've said, i'm not really a formally-trained artist. in fact, i'm a sociology graduate. and i've just finished law school last month. ::cry::

i'm hoping you could all help me out in these interests of mine --- in developing them.

nice meeting you all!
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Music, writing, photography here. I don't write music, I just play it. Have a couple years of piano experience, 10 years of trumpet, with some baritone and french horn thrown in. I love photography, especially black&white, and nature. Really I don't think my writing would survive on its own without music and nature since I get so much inspiration for my stuff from these two.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I guess I qualify as well. I'm a writer, singer (and former stage actor). And if you want to go into less creative forms of expression, then I've also been a martial artists (jujutsu and kenjutsu) for over forty years.

Within the art of writing I alternate between fiction and nonfiction.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I am a polyartist by definition I suppose. Jack of all trades - master of none. However, I enjoy what I do immensely - so I am going to continue to do it.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I suppose I'm a polyartist. I started leaning the drums when I was young, when I felt I had gotten as far as I could with that I started playing guitar. That led to the bass (a very different instrument no matter what you've heard), the whole time writing lyrics as I went. I learned that it was really hard to squeeze everything I wanted to say into a lyrical format so I started writing.

I'm not sure yet if I'm good at it or not, but I'm happy.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I would have to say that I'm a polyartist. Creation is an imporant part of everything I do. hmm now for the list.

Music - clarinet mostly, and alto clarinet (sax, trumpet a bit) and then vocals.
Writing - poetry, short stories, novels(soon), work in many different genres (glbt, fantasy, children's, nonfiction, etc), maybe a movie some day.
Art - painting, drawing, stuff like that. Love oil paint, acrylic, oil pastels, regular pencils, pen, sharpies, and charcoal. Hope to learn watercolor at one point to illustrate a kid's book.
Verbal - not necessarily an artform I guess but I do a lot of public speaking and argumentation. Will be helping teach it soon as well.

I think that's all I do in the "artist" categories.

::cool::
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Like I said, no difference between any art. The connection however is you. I use words in my painting and visual imagery in my writing. One works in time the other in space.
These are plural energies. I make films, I take photographs, I paint, I draw, I am a representional painter, I am an abstract painter. I tell stories, I write freeform. all these methods or modes of expression come from my experience. The job of the artist is to say what they want in the way that it is best to say it. To use the best tools for the job, to create the most powerful communication. We should not feel even remotely guilty if we use many tools. But we should strive to use them well. Sorry if I have hit my pontificating button again. In all we need an eye before we can make sense of the world around us. Regards Ken. www.kenart.co.uk
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I draw, and I write, and am a web designer. So you can count me in, dudes!!!www.writingsinrhyme.com
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I guess I am.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I suffer from that predicament too: I write, I draw and paint, I play piano, I speak, I read too many things across too many subjects for my own good. I fenced, danced.

I think there is much to be said for "willing one thing": consistency, focus and a clear aim in life.

It's been my experience that while variety is the spice of life, focus and simplicity go hand in hand with a purposeful life.

That's why I'm doing my best right now (it is so hard to drop those other tempting things) to focus on one thing: writing.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I am a polyartist. I write (poems,stories,), and dance. I used to have a recorder, but I have no idea where it is now. I would like to learn to play guitar. I've tried painting and drawing, but I'm not so good lol.
[reply] [quote]

WEll yes, yes I am. : ) Thanks for inviting me!

16 Years Ago

Day job: Graphic Design Manager

Otherwise, I've been writing and recording piano-driven music now for 3 years. I had no idea I had it in me until someone told me to just try doing it, thank God! While writing my own music I found my voice, in my chosen key. Please check out my music if you have a chance too at myspace.com/littlemouse3

I'm taking a short break from writing songs and what's coming out is poetry... so that's what brought me here. I am not trained so I may bug some folks a bit.

Of course I like to paint too. Started dancing at the young age of 2. Mom put me in every 4-H category growing up so I photographed, baked, sewed, canned... you name it. Polyartist's are the coolest!

Now, here's what's most important, I'm older now but wish someone had really pulled me aside while I was making A's in art and music and being sent to state singing competitions and told me to seriously consider doing something with it! No adults or teachers did. I got sidetracked in my own thoughts thinking I had no options other than to take business classes through HS and college. Please recognize your talents and follow your dreams, they easily become reality if you work towards it!

Cheers!
Little Mouse
-:3 )~~~
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I feel you have to be a "Poly Artist" as 'they' are calling it now. But in reality has any artist ever just boxed him/herself into one art. I feel since anything artistic existed artist explore other mediums. One of my favorite poets, Blake, was also an amazing artist and actually made these huge plates etched from acid, and i believe he was the first to do it on such a scale (don't quote me). I guess the way I see it is how can you progress as an artist or a human being even with out exploring.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Yes indeed I am a polyartist. And perhaps that explainns all of my mental issues.....LOL
Truthfully, I started out writing and drawing my own comic books at the ripe old age of two and continued that well into my late teens and then started dabbling into writing stories.

I also am a musician and play drums in several bands and have writing several songs and work on my own recordings.
I went to college and got heavily into painting. Acrylic/Oils. Feel in love with that medium and haven't stopped since.

I have in the past couple years started taking my writing seriously and now look to really delve into that side of my artistic path.
Lord knows whats next.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Finally an official diagnosis for my sickness. For years I've just reffered to it as 'The David Bowie Syndrome'. I see myself primarily as a writer, but i'm very passionate about music, photgraphy, traditional arts like drawing and painting, and more recently clothing design.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

I had never heard that word until a few minutes ago. I wrote several poems and two short stories when I was in the fifth grade, then dropped writing completely. At the age of thirteen, I drew the lady's face from Da Vinci's "Madonna of the Rocks" for a book report and discovered that I could draw. I joined the choir in school the next year and found I had a knack for music. Then I joined the band. Then I started learning guitar. I went back to art and concentrated on that for most of the next forty or so years, but never abandoned the other interests. I got much better on the guitar over the years. My art got a LOT better. I wrote a little poetry from time to time. I got into restoring old British motorcycles and became rather proficient at it. I did body work, painting, lacing spokes, overhauling engines, electrical work--all of it. I'd always thought I could write fiction if I put my mind to it, so about two years ago, I started making up short stories. I cook, too. I guess I might be a polyartist.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

I am a photographer, illustrator and writer. Not a professional at the first two. I like having creative outlets and I've always got something else on the go. I take photos of abandoned farm houses here in Ontario mainly. I've got them posted to my account on the Flickr site.