A Mask

A Mask

A Poem by {A}shley {B}lack @-;-
"

A poem about presenting yourself to be accepted by society

"
A MASK

The person you see is not the real me it’s a mask I wear
To hide my identity 
You may know my laugh my voice my eyes but what I show you
They are all lies
You wont ever know the real me it hides deep inside
So what if I said I liked you what if I lied
Music is my release to a mask I hide behind it calms any stress
And it helps me unwind
My mask does have cracks and you can see behind but you might not 
Like what is on my mind
Take small steps and back away because this mask wont be lifting today

My mask is my shield from a mind that’s been scarred I prefer you to see my whole façade   

© 2011 {A}shley {B}lack @-;-


Author's Note

{A}shley {B}lack @-;-
Honest opinions please thank you for reading

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

My first sentence is going to sound really harsh, but please read a little after it, and I promise it gets better. Here goes.

The poem would be good if it wasn't about a mask.

I'm sorry, but the mask is a promising canditate for the Most Overused Metaphor in Poetry History award. All the bits of your poem that don't contain the word "mask?" Yeah, they're amazing. The line "a shield from a mind that's been scarred" is brilliant. But when people initially see your poem, they have an "Oh, it's just another poem about a mask" reaction, which does not at all do your poem justice. There are many other things that can hide a face. A veil. A scarf. Maybe a particular kind of mask? You could google masks and see what you come up with. There are tons of things you could do to give your otherwise captivating and deep poem the originality it deserves. I'm reallyreallyreally sorry if I sounded to harsh, by the way.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
another solid spoken word..you obviously have a talent for this..as you see especially poignant for the lady in the veil... :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Ian
We'll all had to wear a mask at some point in our lives... we cannot always be who we really are and most people isn't who they say they are...
I liked the whole piece... I can see that people here has said their opinion about the mask metaphor and I am not exception... Yeah, it is true, it's kind of overused now... but I believe that it should be a writer's challenge, to take a chiclé and build something different, special and new out of it. And I believe that you, my friend, have achieved that goal, which for me, as I already expressed, is something that every writer is forced to do to keep improving its writing skills...
Nice work!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Masks have been used in many ways but this is interesting as it makes a statement, a worthy one too!
Having a real face is important but understandably life gets in the way and some have to wear that mask daily! In the end, it cracks away, like everything shall!
Great poem, honest and powerful
xx

Posted 13 Years Ago


I read the review about the mask being an overused metaphor, which is true. But what I loved about this was that despite that...you used it without it sounding or feeling very cliche at all. Above all, it was honest, like all poetry should be. I love the line about the mask being 'a shield FROM a mind that's been scarred.' It is a shield not 'for' it. But 'from' it. Bravo.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love the poem! I have felt like that many times in my life, like people won't like the real me so I hide parts of myself. You showed this beautifully! Great poem!!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


This reminds me strongly of me. I try so hard to be nice to others, to not give them any sort of strong emotion in fear that they can turn on me.
'A Mask' greatly describes what I feel and how I am.
Beautiful poem.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Pros: Well written with a good, lilting flow. It flows easy, and keeps the reader wanting to finish it. It never dulls and gets boring. And this representation of this mask some of us wear is quite spot on and very accurate. I, for one, know I wear a mask. Sure, I let some see through it on rare occasions, but I let them know they won't like what they see. In the end, I keep the mask up.

Cons: None, really.

Overall: A good portrayal of this mask we all wear at some time or another.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

amazing, you catured the facade that all of us wears. i definitely enjoyed it though i agree with the other comment. making it about a mere mask doesnt do your peom the justice it deserves.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This poem describes the mask most of us wear very nicely. You are a great poet. The insight of this poem is terrific. Another great poem describing you. It was lovley

Posted 13 Years Ago


My first sentence is going to sound really harsh, but please read a little after it, and I promise it gets better. Here goes.

The poem would be good if it wasn't about a mask.

I'm sorry, but the mask is a promising canditate for the Most Overused Metaphor in Poetry History award. All the bits of your poem that don't contain the word "mask?" Yeah, they're amazing. The line "a shield from a mind that's been scarred" is brilliant. But when people initially see your poem, they have an "Oh, it's just another poem about a mask" reaction, which does not at all do your poem justice. There are many other things that can hide a face. A veil. A scarf. Maybe a particular kind of mask? You could google masks and see what you come up with. There are tons of things you could do to give your otherwise captivating and deep poem the originality it deserves. I'm reallyreallyreally sorry if I sounded to harsh, by the way.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

600 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 16, 2011
Last Updated on January 18, 2011
Tags: mask, society, façade, presenting

Author

{A}shley {B}lack @-;-
{A}shley {B}lack @-;-

Sheriffhales, Shropshire , United Kingdom



About
I Am Ashley Black (an alter ego ) I have a dark mind when it comes to my poetry as the strongest emotions come from negative RETURNING- I have been distant from this site for a while but I am fina.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Love Love

A Poem by Marie Harrison