Chapter 8

Chapter 8

A Chapter by -Insertnamehere-

   I wanted to apologize. It was like a strong urge deep in my stomach, like when you see something you want but can’t have. But then again there was a strong urge not to. Not to because if I did, it would be confessing I was wrong. I sighed inaudibly. Now was not the time for pride. I turned over on the bedside so I was facing Christian. He was playing with his fingers, lips moving but no sound.

   “Christian.”

   His angry face returned. He glared. “What?”

   I took a deep breath. “I’m sorry.”

   His gaze softened. “Thanks.”

    “I’m sorry you had to hide. It’s not fair.”

   He shrugged. “This war is us coming out you know? Telling people we’re tired of their bullshit. Not exactly a good first impression on those who don’t know but….” His voice trailed off.

   I nodded. “Oddly, I understand. We attacked, we lied. I’d like to say there’s no one to blame….” I sighed. “Maybe you can resolve it.”

   He let out one loud laugh. “Like that’ll happen. It’s the queen’s decision, not ours.”

   “If it was?”

   He stared at me incredulously. “Well I don’t know. I mean this war is our revenge, not our make up. They hurt us, we owe them absolutely nothing.”

   “Don’t you think ending this will be more of a forgiveness than a surrender?”

   Christian smirked. “Forgive them?” He shook his head then looked back at me. “You’re smart though. Too bad you’re not entitled to tell the queen your thoughts.” 

  “Like she’d listen,” I stated.

   “Touché,” he chuckled.

   I adjusted my position on the bed. “Tell me more about yourself.” I was suddenly incredibly curious as to how he had become who he was, what had made him become who he was.

   He looked panicked. “I’m not telling you my life story.”

   “Don’t get so defensive.” That’s when I noticed it. The scar. Why hadn’t I noticed it before? It ran up his left arm, the same arm my tattoo was on. It looked like it had healed improperly. It started at his elbow and ran up underneath his shirt where I couldn’t see it anymore. I stared.

   “Is that part of your past?”

   Christian shoved his shirtsleeve down. It barely did anything to cover it up. “That’s none of your business.”

   “How the hell could I possibly hurt you if you told me your life?”

   “By using your words. You couldn’t do anything but you could say something.”

   “To whom? The only two people I see are you and Rayne.”

   He didn’t reply.

   “Does Rayne know your life?” I asked.

   “Yeah but….”

   “So really there is absolutely no harm.”

   Christian sighed. “I don’t know you well enough to trust you.”

   I hesitated. “You’re right. Peer pressure. I’m sorry.”

   “I just don’t know how long you’ll be around.”

   “Be around?”

   He shrugged.

   “Thanks for the comfort,” I snapped.

   “They won’t kill you,” he said. “God no. We’re not that evil to kill someone who’s not technically guilty.”

   “What about those men the queen killed? They weren’t technically guilty.”

   “We caught them in the act.”

   “Same as me.”

   “They knew the rules, you didn’t.”

   I sighed and he furrowed his eyebrows. “Why are you trying so hard to make yourself guilty?”

   “Why are you trying so hard to make me innocent?”

   He shook his head and looked away. I let out a furious breath and looked down at the pretty floor. Talking to Christian was so disgruntling. So…unsatisfying.

   “Where’s Rayne?” I suddenly asked. Somehow the question had come out of my mouth without me even having processed it through my head.

   “Why do you care?” He tried to sound nonchalant but I could hear the curiosity.

   “He’s better at keeping conversation then you are.”

   He glared. “He’s guarding the queen at the moment. Right now she has to be careful, with the humans unexpected attacks.”

   “How long until he doesn’t have to guard her anymore?” Why did I keep asking questions like that?

   “Depends on how long this persists. Could be weeks.”

   Weeks, I thought. I felt a strange empty feeling in my stomach. Rayne had been kind, someone I thought I could possibly be friends with. I didn’t want to wait that long to see him. Besides I was curious about his drawings, there were a lot of things I wanted to ask him about. I shut my eyes and bit my lip. I needed to turn the conversation back over.

   “What’s going to happen?” I asked. “To the humans?”

   “Depends on how they respond to the war,” Christian answered back smugly. “I mean if they don’t back off, they’ll die.”

   “You’ll kill innocent people?”

   He smirked. “You can’t expect us to be careful not to kill the people that are innocent Constance. People die all the time anyways, it’s not like it matters anyways.”

   “Yes it does.” My anger flared up again. “I have friends, family. I babysat a young boy of six. Are you going to take away his life too? Are you going to take away the kids lives?”

   “Just calm down Constance. We kill the people who kill us. We’re not just going to go around killing humans just because we can, or because we want to get back at them.”

   “Are you sure?” I replied. “With the queen you have I wouldn’t be surprised if that happened.”

   He gripped the arms of the chair. “Don’t talk about the queen like that.”

   “Why do you protect her? I know you don’t like her Christian, and I know just as well she doesn’t like you either."

   His cheeks turned bright red. I narrowed my eyes.

   “Are you in love with her?”

   He raised his eyebrows. “In love with her? With the queen? It’s impossible to start with and besides, she’s a cruel b***h.” He turned red again as he realized he had just contradicted his earlier sentence. He sighed. “It’s just, everyone needs to have the queens love, whether it be real or fake. It’s an honor to have her notice you at all, even if she is the way she is. She’s still the queen.”

    “What made her queen?”

   “The tattoo. On her arm.” He clenched his jaw. Something was bothering him.

   I was suddenly reminded of my tattoo but I kept it hidden. I didn’t want to spread any trouble, or whatever it was. “Are you angry that she became queen?”

   He stared at me suddenly, very deeply. “I can’t tell you anything else. All of that leads into my personal life.”

   I sighed. I thought I had had a chance. “All right.”

   Then suddenly there were shrilling screams that crawled up my back, footsteps running and metal clanking against something like tile or cement. Christian bolted up and turned towards the door just as it opened.



© 2009 -Insertnamehere-


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
r
O_O Oh my god!! Can't wait to see what happens!!

Since the last paragraph is a different font like in the chapter before, i can only wonder if your doing it on purpose...? But whatever!!

Amazing, must continue!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

188 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 27, 2009


Author

-Insertnamehere-
-Insertnamehere-

Seattle, WA



About
The name is Oleksander Silas. 18. Male. I reside in Victoria. I write but I also write through instruments. Explosions in the Sky. Sigur Ros. Jonsi. William Fitzsimmons. This Will Destroy You. God .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..