Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Image
"

Ah, the story real story begins! Enjoy!

"
As Adam was coming up to the main gate for Rhondar, he stopped to observe his surroundings. He had the feeling that someone was following him ever since he departed from the last town, and he wanted to shake the suspicion. While standing in the middle of the beaten dirt road, he listened to the constant rain that fell around him, making it appear as though everything was peaceful. Thick and heavy mud clung to his leather boots and trimmed the bottom of his long cloak. Standing upright, Adam was a tall man in his early twenties; his figure was lean, but conditioned as a result of training. Having long black hair, most of his face was obscured by wet locks of hair that clung to his face. However, his most prominent feature still stood out; Adam had deep, piercing, purple eyes, a sign that he was a Nascir, one born with the ability to use fearsome magic, and made an outcast out of fear in most villages and towns. Wearing a simple cloak with form a form-fitting shirt beneath a leather vest, along with leather boots and pants, he had his usual outfit. Hidden inside his attire are daggers, poisons, knives, a bit of robe, everything a good assassin would need. In his pack he carried everything else, pots, food, a bedroll, tent, the necessities for his long journey. 
Unable to shake the feeling of being watched, Adam headed into the nearby forest, and hid himself among the trees. Hawker's Road, a main road commonly used by merchants and travelers, and unfortunately the fastest way to reach Rhondar. The road itself is dotted with hills and thick forests, and the distance between Rhondar and the central city, Tridiad, was immense, with only a few small towns in between, making Hawker's Road perfect for ambushes. However, during his journey, Adam was extremely cautious in his journey, meaning that if he was followed, the individual must be highly trained and experienced. As he started to rise from his concealment, a sound like that of branches snapping pierced his ears, and his hand instantly went for one of his hidden daggers. Slowly...Adam thought to himself as he calmly brought his magic to bear. I'll be at a disadvantage if he's a magician and he takes notice. Pushing these thoughts aside, Adam easily parried a knife that flew towards him, and then jumped towards his attacker's position. After landing on the branch of a thick oak tree, he held his dagger to the side of his arm, pointing upward diagonally, allowing him to easily parry and follow up with a quick stab. Using his free hand to climb a little lower towards the ground, he stopped. 
"Come on out!" Adam yelled as his eyes glanced the treeline and road, both of which showed no signs of any other travelers.
"Why would I do that? I like to play a little, makes it fun." Sickening laughter filled the still air. It was a deep and menacing voice that sent shock waves through Adam's body. Why the hell can't I sense his presence with Koronis?! The stupid necklace is supposed to detect any presence! Another knife flew towards Adam, which he side-stepped. He backed up slowly, making sure not to trip. Starting to feel frustrated, Adam produced a swirling sphere of visible air, and held it menacingly, "What are you, a coward?! Face me!" He was getting tired of dodging blades.
"Very well then boy." Another knife flew at him from nowhere, but before Adam could deflect it, the knife froze about a foot in front of him. In seemingly the same instant, a man appeared from thin air, and held the knife to Adam's throat, forcing him to back against a tree. The man was tall and bulky, muscles seemed to ripple beneath his leather outfit. Bulging, bloodshot eyes glared at him with clear malice from behind a gruff leather mask. 
After freeing himself from restraint, Adam quickly jabbed at the man, meaning to test his speed, and it was instantly deflected. He moved faster than Adam, and was obviously stronger. I can't fight him hand-to-hand, I'd be overpowered in an instant, and i don't have a weapon with enough reach. This made him decide to keep his distance, and whittle down his opponent with Air Magic, his specialty, and close in for the kill. However, before he could act, the man disappeared.
"What the hell...?" Backing up slowly, Adam felt his back hit something large. "Bad day..." A large, strong arm wrapped around his neck, strangling him. 
"Too easy! You really aren't any fun! No one's ever enough to enterti-" His voice was cut off by Adam's sphere of air being shoved into the man's gut, causing him to stumble away in pain. "Damn kids and their magic..." he coughed. Yet again he disappeared before Adam could attack him. "Seems like we're doing this the hard way." The voice echoed from all around him, surrounding him. Suddenly, a hand came from nowhere, grabbing his arm and slamming him to the ground. Another hand appeared in the same moment as a fist and slammed Adam in the side of his head, plowing his face even further into the ground. Pushing himself up, he coughed up a sickening mixture of mud, dirt, and blood. Taking a delirious glance upward, his last sight was the bottom of a thick leather boot as he collapsed into darkness. 


© 2012 Image


Author's Note

Image
This book is something that I am slowly working on, and any feedback is appreciated. Please note that I am trying, for the first time, to write a serious story, so know that it won't be perfect. Above all however, I hope that you enjoy the story, because if you can't enjoy it, than that's no good. Once again, ANY feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

102 Views
Added on September 2, 2012
Last Updated on September 2, 2012
Tags: Romance, Medieval, Fiction, Fantasy, Adventure, Action, Story


Author

Image
Image

Richmond, NH



About
Hello! I am a new and aspiring writer that's hoping to use this site as a way to develop my skills, and maybe receive some feedback on my work. I'm also really interested in reading other's work, just.. more..

Writing
Alone Alone

A Story by Image


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Image


The Circle The Circle

A Book by Image