RIP Australian Cricket: Your boys took one hell of a beating

RIP Australian Cricket: Your boys took one hell of a beating

A Story by Laura Williamson
"

This isn't a story, it is a non-fiction article however there isn't an 'article' type so I had to class it as a story. Inspired by the England boys thrashing the Aussies in the recent Ashes series.

"

There’s a buzz of anticipation drifting from stand to stand, the sort that only comes around this time every four years. As the ground begins to fill you can tell that there’s excitement in the air, be it the youngster who is here for the first time or someone who has seen this scenario play out time and time again. 11 O’clock strikes and the bell rings. Thundering feet on pavilion steps as the words echo around “And did those feet in ancient times, walk upon England’s mountains green”.

Blazing sun is shining at Chester-le-Street. Day four. Ian Bell and Tim Bresnan are padded up and making their way to the crease. England are 234 for 5 with a lead of 202 runs.

You can ask any English or Australian fan what the best part of cricket is and you will always get the same answer. The Ashes. The pinnacle of cricket. The greatest rivalry in cricketing history.

Day four begins calmly, a prod for one; the occasional quick two. It’s only when Ian Bell is bowled by Harris on 113 that the game kick starts. Frantic stroke play from Bresnan and Swann elevates England to a grand total of 330. Australia need 299 to win.

The series is already 2-0 to England. After a close call at Trent Bridge and a victory of just 14 runs, England’s cricketing heroes destroyed Australia’s batting line up at the Home of Cricket, Lord’s, to secure the little urn as theirs.

But they still need 10 wickets to win the series and the urn, not just retain it.

It doesn’t start well. A subdued crowd sits and watches as Rogers and pantomime villain David Warner put on an opening partnership of 100. You can feel the tension in the ground and you actually can hear the expletives over the stump mic. We cannot lose to the Aussies. It seems like an eternity but finally England claim the wicket of Chris Rogers, though Australia head to tea on a healthy 109 for 1. England need something special to take these nine wickets, they need to find that moment of inspiration, that one session that can change the course of the game.

They needed Stuart Broad.

Certain moments will always be remembered when it comes to a series. Whilst scores are forgotten and bad performances are swept back into the pavilion, it is those rare moments of true skill and brilliance that go down in history.

The evening session at Chester-le-street on the 12th August is one of those moments. With Warner trudging back to the dressing room after Tim Bresnan quite brilliantly forces him to push one into the waiting gloves of Matt Prior, we see the beginning of one of the most memorable batting collapses the Ashes has seen.

This was Broad’s cue.

Whatever Cook said during the drinks break clearly worked as the first delivery of Broad’s over, the top of formidable Australian captain Michael Clarke’s top stump was obliterated.

Time to believe England fans.

In the space of 25 runs Broad and Bresnan ensured the destruction of Australia’s batting line up; as batsman after batsman trudged solemnly back to the pavilion, bat tucked under the arm wondering how they could have failed yet again.

Euphoria struck the ground, as delivery after delivery England got closer to winning the series. The growing excitement to be able to say “I was there” �" that you saw England annihilate Australia. That you saw England win, not just the Ashes, not just the series, but win three successive Ashes tournaments.

Broad barrelled into the crease, Peter Siddle was on strike. The full ball was pelted into the waiting hands of James Anderson. They’d done it. England had won the Ashes.

The players ran towards each other, with shouts of happiness, to hug and congratulate. The stands were alive with chants and dancing, cheers and woops.

An enormous fate had been achieved. The Ashes are ours.

 

In affectionate remembrance of Australian cricket which died at Chester-le-street on 12th August 2013. Deeply lamented by a large circle of sorrowing friends and acquaintances. The body will be cremated and the ashes kept in England.

© 2013 Laura Williamson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
Added on November 12, 2013
Last Updated on November 12, 2013

Author

Laura Williamson
Laura Williamson

Lincoln, United Kingdom



About
In my head I'm a world class comedienne, with the best 'singing in the shower voice' going. Waiting for my phone call from Andy Flower to join the England Cricket team... The men's one. My Hogwarts le.. more..

Writing