Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Justice

Justice

A Story by Laura Williamson
"

The song For You by The Calling starts with the line "I am vision, I am justice" - this kind of inspired this and so I decided to write an opening snippet to a potential story.

"

Andrews, a man in his late 40s, stepped out of his car with the same despondent look on his face that had been his trademark since the late 80s. If you didn’t know any better then you would be positive that you were staring into the eyes of a much older man, his face etched with lines of years of worry, sleepless nights and pain. His now greying hair was much thinner than it had been when he started and he often questioned whether he still had the patience for it all. He often wondered whether he should give all this up and settle down in the countryside, or better, on a sunny Caribbean beach with a Pina Colada.

Instead he opted for the lean streets of California, a stark contrast at the dismal time of two o’clock in the morning.

A young man, sharply dressed, but with the look of what could only be described as a lost puppy approached him and offered a shaky “Good Morning Mr Andrews, I’m…”

“What’ve we got?” growled Andrews.

The man looked at Andrews for a second before responding to the rebuff with a simple “Homicide sir”.

He sighed. Homicide. “Wallet?” he questioned the boy.

“John Doe I’m afraid sir” said the boy flipping open his notepad, “We got a phone call from a Miss Halliday at about 1:30 this morning, when our boys arrived they found him bound by rope with a stab wound to the chest…”

Andrews noticed the boy pause, “What is it?” he asked, raising an eyebrow.

“There was a message”

“Suicide note?”

“No… From the killer” he said trying to gage Andrews reaction.

“What was the message”

The boy flipped his notepad shut and ushered Andrews to follow him through into the warehouse.

A man of about Andrews age lay in the foetal position on the floor, his arms and legs bound by a rope. The words “I am justice” were painted in a deep crimson above him.

“I am justice” read Andrews.

“What do you think it means?” asked the boy.

Andrews smirked as the words on the wall began to sink in.

“It means he’s returned” he whispered gently.

© 2014 Laura Williamson


Author's Note

Laura Williamson
Any comments welcome!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is so good Laura, I just want to find out more! It would also work well as a film or TV drama I think... I am so intrigued!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Really enjoyed this! Really interesting start. I love the line "the same despondent look on his face that had been his trademark since the late 80s", it's hilarious. A tiny thing would be is there is a missing question mark when Andrew asks what the message is.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

153 Views
2 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 8, 2014
Last Updated on January 8, 2014

Author

Laura Williamson
Laura Williamson

Lincoln, United Kingdom



About
In my head I'm a world class comedienne, with the best 'singing in the shower voice' going. Waiting for my phone call from Andy Flower to join the England Cricket team... The men's one. My Hogwarts le.. more..

Writing