To die would be an awfully big adventure

To die would be an awfully big adventure

A Story by Laura Williamson
"

Considering using this for a piece of coursework or crime writing competition "To die would be an awfully big adventure" (J.M. Barrie) is from Peter Pan -one of my favourite story quotes of all time!

"

"Are you scared?" the man whispered, the smirk audible in his voice.

"To die would be an awfully big adventure"

Wade chuckled though there was venom in his voice, "J.M. Barrie, still trying to prove you’re smarter than me little brother?"

It was his turn to smirk, "Oh I proved that a long time ago brother dear".


A gun pressed firmly against the side of his head traced the same movement as his brother, coming to stand in front of him.


"You have a lot of self-confidence for a man staring down the barrel of a gun" Wade hissed.

He had to admit that his scheme hadn’t exactly gone to plan, knowing that if he didn’t act soon then he’d be falling to the ground with a 9mm hole in his head.


His mind and vision were already beginning to go hazy.


Struggling against the ropes that bound his legs, arms and torso to the chair, he made a painstaking effort to try and loosen the restraints.

His brother’s chuckle had evolved into gleeful, teasing laughter as he taunted the younger man.

"Not this time brother dear" Wade smiled, emphasising the pet name he’d been given mere moments before.

"What do you want Wade?" he hissed through gritted teeth, the rope beginning to burn through his skin.

Wade smirked again, tapping the gun against his brother’s head, "tetchy, tetchy; you’d think this was the first time you’d found yourself in such a predicament".


His smile soon faded, bored of teasing his prey and moved the gun to the base of Gale’s neck.

"I could shoot you here" he whispered dramatically, "the gun would shatter your spine into a million tiny fragments."

"I could shoot you in the back of the head, like George did to Lennie."

Gale smirked at this.

"Or I could shoot you in the front of the head" the gun rested directly in the middle of Gale’s forehead, "killing you instantly".


Wade paused, twirling the gun casually before an idea struck him…


"Or I could shoot you here" he gestured the gun towards Gale’s heart and smiled eerily, "after all that’s always been your downfall hasn’t it Gale, letting your heart rule over your head".

© 2014 Laura Williamson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice, very chilling. Like the literary references and the dialogue between the brothers. Would be interesting to see more about their relationship and how they ended up in this situation. Only tiny criticism is sometimes I wondered which brother you were referring to. For example, "His mind and vision were already beginning to go hazy." Overall, I really enjoyed it, should definitely use it for the crime piece. Would make a very bold opening to a novel.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Wow, this is good! I like how Wade is teasing his brother with the gun, with all of the reasons why he should shoot him there (I love the last line). Definitely use this for either the crime piece or as part of your coursework because its so good! I want to know what happens:(

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

212 Views
2 Reviews
Added on February 26, 2014
Last Updated on February 26, 2014

Author

Laura Williamson
Laura Williamson

Lincoln, United Kingdom



About
In my head I'm a world class comedienne, with the best 'singing in the shower voice' going. Waiting for my phone call from Andy Flower to join the England Cricket team... The men's one. My Hogwarts le.. more..

Writing