There's No Place Like Home: Part 1 Of A 3 Part Series

There's No Place Like Home: Part 1 Of A 3 Part Series

A Story by Stacy Purvis
"

A Discussion About Homelessness

"

In these trying times, I am constantly reminded to count my blessings. I am grateful for my family, friends, co-workers, and most of all for the two dwellings I call “home”. Many individuals and families find themselves having to work several jobs just to make ends meet. Having said that, let’s consider “home” and a tragic epidemic growing larger by the day: homelessness. If home is where the heart is, these unfortunate roaming nomads have been neglected and are in essence, without love, support and most of all, hopes and dreams. It doesn’t have to be this way. In the following article, I wish to discuss the homeless state of the world, the United States, in particular, as well as the homeless state of man’s best friend, our pets. Every living creature, human or animal deserves a home, and I believe it’s possible to establish a home, love, and security for all creatures- human, animal, great or small, but it is going to take all of us to care and it’s going to take action. Together, we can accomplish greatness. Alone, we perish.

First, what is homelessness? Homelessness has been defined as *“Without a home”, “the homeless” or **”The condition of people without a regular dwelling”. I, myself, understood that as a child growing up, home was always “where the heart is”. So, if a man were to be without a home, is he not without love and affection as well? I found a quote which I feel embodies the true root of homelessness and humanity:

“Sometimes it’s easy to walk by because we know we can’t change someone’s whole life in a single afternoon. But what we fail to realize it that simple kindness can go a long way toward encouraging someone who is stuck in a desolate place.” ~Mike Yankoski

Mr. Yankoski honed in on a truth about human nature as well as homelessness, walking by won’t solve this issue, but action and kindness can.

In 2013, it is estimated that the world homeless population has grown to no less than 100 million people. Considering the current census of the world is ***7.109 billion people, and 316 million of those people live in the United States alone, 100 million people is a staggering amount of people without a regular dwelling or place to stay safely through the night. That’s not including the amount of pets that have now found themselves without a home; many dying of starvation on the very streets you drive, jog or walk on. Millions find themselves in shelters awaiting adoption daily.

In 2009, The U.S. government established a 5-year plan to abolish chronic homelessness. As you can see by this chart, we haven’t made much progress. (Please see chart) Homelessness in the U.S. in 2013

There are many programs in place to help alleviate this homeless epidemic, but are they really working and if not, what changes are necessary to defeat this horrific nightmare for our neighbors? With the current state of things, most families are living paycheck to paycheck. We literally are all awaiting a pending doom. The fact is that homelessness can happen to anyone, at any time, and even with programs in place, we will have to continually fight this fight if we are to abolish it. 

-To Be Continued-

© 2017 Stacy Purvis


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

89 Views
Added on March 12, 2017
Last Updated on March 12, 2017
Tags: homeless, home, nohome, noplacelikehome, story, article, truth, xosassystaceox, writer, writing

Author

Stacy Purvis
Stacy Purvis

Columbus, OH



About
Altruistic Enigmatic Polymath | Writer, Poet, Actress, Musician, EMT. I'm an Artist. I paint pictures of the verbal kind. ☯ 333 more..

Writing