The wrong end of a gun

The wrong end of a gun

A Poem by Faust

Some people are evil while some are good.
I guess I just never really understood.
I don't understand how someone could stand by watching people run,
While in their hand they are pointing the small hand-held gun.
I don't understand how they can willingly watch the life drain from terrified eyes.
And hear the mothers and fathers and sisters and brothers let out sorrowful cries.
I don't want to go to school afraid of my peers,
These people, I have known them for years.
I don't like how we have to practice to defend ouselves in a school that is supposed to be safe.
But when it comes down to it, you are looking into the barrel of a gun face to face.
Everyone says to throw markers, sissors, anything that is in reach.
But why are these the things that they must teach.
There are 2 sides of a gun, the kill or get killed.
It doesn't matter if you are skilled.
There is a chance of death either way.
People are fearing this each and every day.
The one holding the gun will have temporary fame.
While the one on the wrong end...well soon the whole world will learn their name.
They will appear on the news, the world will mourn.
There will be pictures shown from the year of their death to the day they were born.
We don't know them personally but we feel like we can connect.
We just wanted to go to school, get the answers to the test correct.
We wanted to go home,
Not leave our families alone.
We wanted to joke and tease with our families,
Instead they are opening doors to the police.
You learn the victims name but not where they come from.
You are shown pictures but not a major sum.
They tell you in school you are safe and you have no reason to fear
But in this world you will never know if your ending is near.

© 2020 Faust


Author's Note

Faust
When we had to evacuate our school weeks ago because of an active threat, the school sent out a survey asking how they could improve. We were prepared. We were all out of that school in less than 5 minutes and in houses down the street. We were in garages, in kitchens, in living rooms. We got the attenchion of the neighborhood and they stepped up and let us into their homes. We were prepared because we taught to be prepared. We were not prepared for the fear of this being the real thing. In our minds we knew what to do, but our bodies acted on instinct. We saw people trip but we had to keep moving. We couldn't stop. In the end no one was hurt because it was a student who called 911 reporting someone who was planning to shoot up the school. But it made me realize the fear that the victims must have felt for real situations.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

The sad part. The world had never been safe. Less killing today than anytime in history. When I was young, 1200 people murdered in Detroit yearly. Today 1/3 of this number. When I was a child. We were taught to go to bomb shelters and take cover. We must watch our surroundings and pay attention to the people near. Always been this way. I do believe. You must defend yourself, anyway you can. Hello Faust. I hope you are doing well.
Coyote

Posted 4 Years Ago


there are too many mass shootings these days...and i think partly it is because there is too much saturated exposure for these events...then the next person wants the 15 minutes of fame.
They should never disclose identities of shooters....don't give them what they want.
And students go to school to learn....not to be terrified of what might happen because it is not a safe environment...
potent words here.
j.

Posted 4 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

91 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 1, 2020
Last Updated on January 1, 2020

Author

Faust
Faust

Sun Prairie, WI



About
I'm back! I don't think anyone noticed that I closed my account for a short time though lol. Basically my sister was messing with my computer and it screwed up my account more..

Writing
This year This year

A Story by Faust


$20 $20

A Story by Faust