Forget Me Not - Chapter I

Forget Me Not - Chapter I

A Chapter by A.Holmes

I

 

 

1830 �" England, Hertfordshire

I was a young girl back then living a life of luxury. I could have had everything I asked for but all I liked to do was read and learn all sorts of things play the piano and visit my beautiful rose garden.  And what a garden it was. It had at least ten different types of roses, beautiful fountains and benches on which one could relax.

It was my favorite place to be mainly because no one else liked to go there.

My sister Lucretia was allergic to flowers or, so she claimed, and avoided the garden; and my mother and father were too busy with their business. We had a chain of bakeries in some of the most important cities in England. Almost all the recipes used were passed on from my grandmother Elizabeth .She was a tremendous cook always coming up with something new and delicious every time we visited her. And since mother was her only child she gave all the recipes to her.

We were a somewhat happy family even though we did not get to spend much time together; especially me and my sister. Because we did not have very much in common; she liked to keep up with the latest fashion trends and she never wore something twice. A special room designed only for storing clothing was made for her because our parents spared no expense to make us happy. Also she was into horse riding .So much that since the age of ten she took special lessons and had her very own horse back at our countryside home. I did not like it very much myself but she thought it was a sublime and elegant sport for a young woman. 

We did not have the usual sister relationship where we would do everything together, have mutual friends, laugh, drink tea or anything like that.  We barely saw each other. She thought of herself as nobility even though we were not and attended every aristocratic party she could find to make friends with dukes, duchesses and other noblemen. Her friends were all members of the upper class society who despised everyone with a lower social status because as, they claimed, those people were nothing more than “filthy peasants”.

I did not talk to her friends much because whenever they would come to visit I would usually go take a walk or read something in the rose garden.  I never liked them and naturally they did not like me either.  They were just a bunch of spoiled brats demanding attention just because they had money. It was revolting and disgusting and I avoided that at all costs. Still one day mother insisted that I play the piano for them. Mainly because they were children of important people from our city and it was necessary that we impressed them in every way possible.  I remember it like it was yesterday; never in my life have I felt so humiliated and belittled.

-Aimee!

-Yes mother.

-Would you be a darling and play the piano for Lucretia’s  friends ?

-But mother I do not want to.

-Dear do you want our family to be the laughingstock of the entire city for not treating our guests properly?

-No. But this is ridiculous they are just people.

-I do not want to hear another word, you will play and that is final. You will not make us look like fools. Your sister already told them you will be playing it would be an insult not to do so.

-Fine.

I hated that Lucretia did not ask me first and assumed I would just want to do it.

Later that afternoon my sister arrived home and summoned me in the living room.

-Ah here you are, I sent for you ages ago. Everyone, my sister Aimee will delight us by playing the piano.

- Wonderful!

-How exquisite!

They all seemed to really look forward to me playing but as I was soon to discover it was just false interest. Nevertheless I started really confident in me trying to give my best. After all I did what I loved the most and I could not be happier. For a moment it seemed like I was alone with my music playing with the notes like a child would with his toys. But that did not last long for my sister’s friends had other plans.

-Lucretia dear I never knew how talented your sister is.

- She is isn’t she? But let’s face it talent does run in the family. I got most of it of course.

-By all means you did. I cannot think of a more talented person than you.

-Why thank you Anthony.

-This bores me Lucretia . Can we do something else?

-Let’s give her another minute.

-Well fine; if you insist. But I still think it is dreadful.

-Jane dear what do you think of my sister?

-Well she is pretty good to say the least. Although I think men were made to play the sublime instrument that is the piano.

After I finished I turned around and they were all looking at me not knowing what to say until one of them decided to speak.

-Darling I liked it but do you expect to be a great pianist? Because let me tell you that it is just not going to happen.

-Don’t shatter the poor girl’s dreams. You could take up another instrument of your caliber or no instrument at all perhaps? Hahaha.

-Ladies, gentlemen don’t be so harsh on my sister. After all she gave her best to entertain us.

-Well it sure entertained us. We must do it again some another time.

-Let us go outside for some fresh air.

I was so fed up with them and all their insults that I felt It was time for me to speak and defend myself.

-No don’t go I will go. I am fed up with you all. You are just a bunch of selfish spoiled brats who do not deserve all that they have. I wish you all a good day!

-Well, that was unexpected.

-Us spoiled brats? She must be crazy.

-Do not listen to her my friends she is just jealous but I can assure you that she did not meant to say those words.

I was so angry and sad; my own sister laughing at me along with her friends, making me feel miserable. I knew that she cared more for her social status but I was her family. Eventually mother found out and I was severely punished even though it was not my fault to begin with.

Father on the other hand was on my side. Of course that he cared about the social status as much as mother did but he loved me dearly and thought that my happiness was beyond anything else. He pleaded with mother not to punish me because as he said it took a sensible soul to understand the beauty of the piano. But she did not care and for a week I was forbidden to do anything I liked and instead I was forced to accompany her in doing the daily errands.

The week went by fast and, before I knew it, I was doing what I liked best again. I actually got along with mother during my time helping her .Underneath she was a somewhat caring person but throughout the years she gradually became more cold and bitter never getting along with anyone for more than ten minutes. I barely remember the days when she was a loving mother let alone when she was cheerful or content. We always tried to make her happy but she would not crack even a single smile.  My sister and I really missed having a real mother. One who would play with us, listen to our problems or jokes, and read us bedtime stories.  We would often be left in the care of our nanny, Connie, in whom we saw the mother we never truly had.  She was such a sweet and caring person; I fondly remember all the lullabies she used to sing to us. And I especially miss the dresses she often made for us. Yes, she had an incredible talent at making the most beautiful dresses. Father even wanted to hire her as our personal tailor intending to pay her really well but she asked for no payment because as she put it: You cannot put a price on something you do with love.  Such a beautiful soul she had! I miss her so much but I know she is in a better place than this wretched world.

Anyway, in exchange for her kindness and dedication to us, father offered her a room and said that she could stay with us for as long as she wanted. And she did. After all she did not have a family of her own and we were happy to become her new family. Well most of us, mother never actually cared for the woman but she treated her good nonetheless.

Everything seemed so peaceful and quiet from then on, even for mother. Their business was running smoothly, she and father got along well and she didn’t have to spend much time with us because we had Connie. It seemed almost perfect until the day came and our nanny became very sick and was rendered bedridden. Our parents called the best doctors there were to cure her but to no avail. On a cold December morning she passed away after staying up all night talking with Lucretia and me, begging us not to let her alone. She died too young; at forty-five years old she had her life ahead of her but the fates decided to cut her thread of life early, as the ancient Greeks would say.

It was the last time I saw my sister cry and care for somebody who was not from the same social class as her. Oh, where did that sister of mine go?

After her death my sister became more distant and cold just like mother. She rarely smiled and she stopped playing with me. Instead she focused more on her horse riding lessons and other things that gave her pleasure, isolating herself from family or friends. 

Five more years passed by, in which me and my sister grew apart and began to spend less time together. She had her friends and I had mine. We were not the silly kids we used to be, we were young ladies.  We had different priorities in life. And as such we became less of a sister to each other and more of an acquaintance. 

As for our family , mother and father began to argue a lot  and they didn’t spent as much time together, as it would have been normal for a married couple. Yet when they were with us, they tried not to show how bitter and mad they were even though it was obvious.

In the summer of 1820 things seemed to have changed, mother and father were not arguing as much and as a result we went to our countryside house to spend the summer and the beginning of autumn. It was an enormous estate, with five bedrooms, a music room, a library and of course, a big cherry tree meadow. We had everything. It was like an oasis of peace and freedom. In the first part of June we had lots of friends coming over because mother and Lucretia liked to host parties. Not any kind of parties though. Luxurious ones where good manners and etiquette were a must, not to mention a proper dress code was also demanded.

Everyone did what loved the most and we had no schedule to follow, nor did we have to go anywhere. It was bliss. Until the day mother decided I had to restart my piano lessons and Lucretia, her horse riding training.  She already arranged for everything so when she told me and my sister we did not have quite a positive attitude towards it.

-Girls I sent for you ten minutes ago where were you ?

-I was at the cherry tree swing mother.

-And you Lucretia ?

- I was in my room.

-Very well. I have important news for you.  In approximately two days you will recommence your lessons. I have already spoken to a piano teacher and an equestrian trainer.

-But mother I told you I don’t need a teacher now.

-And I don’t have time for horse riding mother. I have a party coming up and I must attend. All my friends will be there.

-I do not want to hear another word from both of you!

-Father! Do we have to?

-I am afraid you must listen to your mother. It is important for you to have those lessons.

-Exactly! You are two well-educated young ladies who must make our family proud. We cannot let you engage in trivial activities such as parties anymore. After all, there will come a time when your father and I will not be here to help you and you must be on your own.

-But it isn’t fair! We are young we must live our lives! And besides it is summer.

-Enough!

-Aimee darling, your mother and I want only the best for you and your sister. You can go now but you have two days to prepare for the arrival of your teachers.

-By the way who are these teachers?  Asked my sister as she was about to leave.

-Lucretia dear, they are the best at what they do. That is all you have to know.

-Yes but who are they?

-Well if you are so curious darling, your trainer will be Miss Rachel Brown. A word renewed equestrian. And as for you Aimee, your teacher will be composer Frederic Duvant.

- They both sound very interesting. I have heard of Miss Brown but not so much about the composer.

-I am glad you like it Lucretia.

-Mother I do not mean to sound disrespectful but even though mister Duvant is a respected composer I think he is too young to teach. I mean he is about the same age as me and my sister.

-I think you are over reacting darling. Give the man a chance. You have not even met him yet.

-Your mother is right. Do not judge a book by its cover. Off you go now.

Lucretia seemed to like the idea in the end, and after we talked to our parents she went straight to her room claiming she has lots of work to do. As I had nothing else to do I decided to follow her because she seemed unusually happy.

-What are you doing? I said leaning on her door step.

-What does it look like I’m doing? I am choosing the most beautiful dress I have, to wear it when our guests arrive.

-What for?

-What do you mean what for? to impress them, of course. They are famous people you know.

-Yes, but you said you have not heard much about the composer.

-Well that is true but mother said he is well known so I have to behave in an appropriate manner.

-If you say so.

-So what are you going to wear? Please do not tell me you plan on wearing these rags.

-What is wrong with what I am wearing now?

-Oh nothing. I am just saying you should gussy up a bit.

-No thank you.  I am not looking forward to meeting any of them. They are just people.

-You are so naïve.

-Say what you may I am not listening.

-You try so much to be a rebel but it does not work out for you.

-I am not a rebel. I just don’t like what you or anybody else likes.

-Nonsense! Well I do not have time to waste with you I must get ready. After all we have only two days.

-I thought you had a party to attend to.

-I have.

-But you can’t.

-True but it doesn’t matter I have more important things to care about than some party.

-Well, I don’t recognize my own sister!

-No, I am the same. I just pay attention to what is important. It is not every day that you get to meet such people.

-If that’s what you think. Anyway I have to go now.

-What? Oh, bye.

The next day was dedicated to cleaning the whole house. The guest rooms where the most important and mother gave specific instructions to all our maids to pay attention to those rooms especially.

Later in the evening, after the cleaning was finished, our parents wanted to see what we were going to wear tomorrow. Lucretia picked a bluish dress which looked rather funny in my opinion. As for me I refused to take part in such things. I did not find what I wore as important as much as what I do and say.

-Lucretia you look splendid!

-Thank you mother, thank you father.

-The colour matches your eyes perfectly. It’s no wonder though. You do have my eye colour.

-I have heard blue eyes are a sign of nobility. Quite exquisite don’t you agree darling?

-Charles, of course I do. It is plain to see that I descent from nobility.

-But dear we are not…

-Shush! Even walls have ears. Do not say that again. Ever!

-But this is stupid mother!

-What is that? Have you picked a dress to wear tomorrow that I am not aware of?

-No.

-Then you do not have the right to speak.

-But...but

-Not a word!

Lucretia was really enjoying that particular moment because she shared the same vision mother did.  She was ashamed of our origin as plain folks.

Father however looked at me and nodded his head. It was his way of telling me to stop trying to make mother think otherwise and to just go with what she says, for now.

For the remaining of the evening we did not spoke to each other nor did we have supper together like we used to.  The entire house was surrounded by a deafening silence in which only the delicate sounds of my piano would cut from time to time. One could compare it to rain early in the morning that gently awakes all living creatures from their slumber. But it was not the case here as my sister shouted angrily at me several times to stop that noise and go to bed. She was such hard-hearted sometimes!

Of course I did not listen to her and continued to play but not for very long because father appeared.

-Father what are you doing here?

-I heard you play and well here I am. Can I sit next to you?

-By all means. Please excuse me I don’t know where my mind is.

-It’s all right.

-So what it is that you are playing?

-Well nothing in particular. I just like to experiment a bit and write my own pieces. Though, I am not very good at it.

-From what I hear you are pretty good.

-Do you really think that?

-Why would I be lying about it?

-No it’s not that. It’s just… I stopped playing staring at the piano not knowing what to say next.

-Something is troubling you. I can sense that. You know you can tell me anything sweetheart. As he said that he put his arms around me, and I, leaned my head against his chest letting all my emotions get the best of me.

-It’s ok I am here, he murmured.

-I don’t understand why mother does not trust me. I told her I don’t need a teacher. She just assumes everything without knowing… and I am fed up with it. You saw how she treated me earlier because I didn’t care what I will wear. It’s just a stupid dress.

-Calm down. I know your mother isn’t fair sometimes and that she rushes in taking some decisions but she wants only the best for you and your sister.

-You know that is not true. But why do you put up with such behavior. Why don’t you say anything? Why???

-Believe me I tried. But you know your mother.  I don’t say anything because I do not want you and Lucretia to see us fighting all the time. All I want is peace and quiet for my family. I know you saw us arguing a couple of times and I cannot forgive myself for that.

-Yes we did, and we always knew you and mother never really got along but to tell you the truth for the past two years we thought you finally found a way to make it work.

-Love is complicated and it does not always come easy. Sometimes it just fades away, until finally all that is left of it are memories of what it used to be. You try to save it, you try to compromise but it just does not work.

-So you and mother don’t love each other anymore?

-Oh, I love her. And I will love her till my dying day. As for her…I am not sure anymore. I am afraid her feelings have long gone.

-So why are you still together then?

He brought his palms to either of my cheeks and held my face in his hands, smiling.

-For you, for your sister, for the most important human beings in my life.

-Father… I murmured. My eyes were full of tears once more.

-Stop crying; stop crying my little girl’s face need not know what tears are. Come one lighten up.

I could not help but smile a bit; he always had a way of making me feel better.

-If you stop crying I will tell you a secret.

-Father I am not a little girl anymore. I said smiling.

-You will always be my little girl to me. So do you want to hear the secret or nor?

-Yes of course. I said patting him on the shoulder.

- You know how to get along with your mother?

-How?

-Agree with whatever she says but do things like you would normally do.

-Father!! I said giggling.

-But it must remain a secret. It will be between the two of us ok?

-Absolutely!

-Great! Now, it’s getting late you should be going to bed. Your mother will be very upset if she wakes up and finds you here.

-Good night father…

-Good night!

-Thank you…for everything.

-Anytime my dear, anytime.

The next morning mother woke up really early to make sure everything was perfect for the arrival of our guests. After all they were going to stay the summer and we had to make the best impression possible. And above all we had to pose in the perfect family because our parents, especially mother, did not want everyone else to know we were a rather dysfunctional family.

-I expect you to behave properly when our guests will be here.

-Of course mother. I and my sister replied rather bored.

- We will do fine mother. Well, actually I don’t know about my sister but my manners are flawless.

-I am sure of that but still, keep in mind who these people are.

-Yes mother. We will. I am sure Lucretia will remind me frequently.

-You bet I will. You are such an oddball sometimes.

-Girls, girls behave!

-We are sorry father.

- Their carriage should be arriving any moment now. Shall we proceed outside?

-By all means let’s.

Just when we were about to go outside one of our maids came to tell us our guests arrived. And, God was mother pleased to hear that.

-Forgive me my lady, your guests are here.

-Splendid! Oh God, girls you know what you have to do.

-Calm down, darling.

-Charles, don’t be silly. I am calm. Quick let’s not keep them waiting.

 

 

Mother got ahead of us to greet them properly. I had never seen her so excited before it almost seemed like she was happy about the whole situation. And how could she not be? It was what she desired most. Having famous people as guests was a tremendous honor for her part.

-Welcome, Welcome to our humble home! I am Margaret Beauchamp and this is my husband Charles Beauchamp and our two daughters Lucretia and Aimee.

-It is a pleasure to be here, and a pleasure to meet you all I am Miss Rachel Brown and this here is composer Frederic Duvant.

He gently tipped his hat and smiled shyly.

- I would like to express my gratification for receiving us.

-We are honored to have you stay with us. But let’s not waste any moment now. Your journey was long and I am sure you need your rest; my servant here, will show you to your private chambers. We shall rejoin for dinner later.

In about an hour or so we were all in the dining room. Time went by so quickly sometimes, that it made me think someone was controlling it after he’s own will. To my surprise mother assigned everyone their seats and personally assisted our cook in making the food for our guests as she herself said. She was seated above the salt, father me and Lucretia sat on the left side of the table whereas our guests sat on the right side. Her perfectionist nature never ceased to amaze me!

-So, Miss Brown, said mother, I understand you won the national equestrian championship again this year. It is a great honor for us to be in the presence of such talent. A talent so young and promising!

-Why thank you I am flattered, however talent has little to do with it. Rather hard work and determination is the key to succeed. Talent alone is not enough.

-Agreed! But talent does play an important part.

-Well, a very small part, but yes.

-Mister Duvant , said father eagerly, we are delighted to have you as our guest. Your music is a gift from God himself. We can barely contain our excitement! A genius like yours is a rare sight.

-Please, I am but a mere mortal in the eyes of God. And my music is nothing more but a passion and an act of gratitude, at the same time, towards our Lord. But thank you for the kind words nonetheless.

-We are all mortals but some of us know how to make themselves immortal. You are one of those people.

-I believe immortality is man’s grates desire. It is a shame so few of us attain it, said Miss Brown.

-I think I have a long way ahead of me until I will reach such greatness. But let’s put aside, for now, these philosophical matters.

-Agreed, said mother as she stood up. A toast, to our guests, I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers*.

-Or as the Latin would say “Mens sana in corpore sano”, remarked Miss Brown.

-Cheers!

-Cheers!

After dinner everyone went to do their heart’s desire.  The lessons would not start until tomorrow, so we had plenty of time left to enjoy ourselves. Lucretia took miss Brown to see the horses we had and my parents along with mister Duvant went for walk in the cherry tree meadow. As for me, I chose to read a book on the porch. The wind was blowing gently and it was all so calm and peaceful, it couldn’t have been perfect. I sat there reading for a while until, to my shame, I feel asleep.

I don’t know how long it had passed, at some point I just opened my eyes but my vision was still bleary. All of the sudden I heard a voice coming from a man standing on a chair next to me.

-Ah, you are awake!

-What? Who are you? What are you doing here?

-What am I doing here? I am your professor and well I wanted to just sit down after that little walk I had with your parents and talk with my pupil.

When I heard that, I cast aside the book I was holding and sat up as fast as I could. I don’t know why I did that probably just an impulse of the moment.

-Imagine my surprise when I found you sound asleep. I didn’t want to wake you up so I waited here.

-I am so sorry, please excuse me, I was tired and I…

-No need to apologize. So, I assume it must have been an interesting reading to make you fall asleep.

-Well, um actually it was. I guess I…um…

-Pardon my humor. I sometimes get carried away joking at the most inopportune times.

-It’s alright. I must be going now I, um, have work to do. 

-Actually I have to go too but I wanted to tell you that your first lesson starts tomorrow…..hmm?

-Morning?

-Oh, God, no I hate waking up early I need my sleep. It will be let’s say around elven. Is that ok?

-I suppose it is.

-Well then eleven it shall be!

- Have a good day!

-You too!

When I checked the time It was already 8o‘clock in the evening. Supper was being prepared and I ran into mother who was rushing to the kitchen to supervise everything.

-Ah, darling here you are. Are you going to join us for supper? It is almost ready to be served.

-No thank you, I am not hungry.

-Have it your way. But I don’t want you around the kitchen later. You will eat in the morning.

-Fine.        

I went straight to my room and just laid down on my bed. It was quiet for a couple of minutes until I heard all of them laughing. It was coming from the dining room. I could tell they were having a good time but I didn’t care that much. Later while I was making my bed Lucretia paid me a visit, and an unexpected one, at that.

-Well hello dear sister.

-Why are you here?

-I came to tell you about the wonderful supper you missed.

-I don’t care.

-Oh, but you will.

-Mr. Duvant told us the most amazing story.

-Still don’t care.

-Well it might interest you. Seeing as it is about you.

-What?!

-By the way where have you been after dinner?

-I..I…

-Oh, I remember, you were sleeping on the porch. How unladylike!

-That b*****d! , I murmured.

-I beg your pardon?

-Nothing!

-Anyway, as I was saying, it was the funniest thing I have ever heard. Mr.Duvant is such a great storyteller.

-I bet he is.

-Too bad you missed it.

-Yeah, I feel awful, I said rolling my eyes.

-Guess what I was doing while you were sleeping?

-Frankly, I don’t care.

-Well since you insist.

-I showed Miss Brown our horse stable. And my horse of course, Thunder. We had such a great time. We really bonded.

-Great for you, it seems you have found your twin sister!

-Would you stop being so sarcastic and act like something is interesting you for a change? I am trying to talk to you, like a sister would.

-You don’t try to talk to me, especially not like a sister would, you came here to brag about what you did and laugh at me.

-How dare you insult me like that? I am deeply hurt. 

-Me? Insult you? Hah!

-It’s clear you want me to go, I will go.

-You don’t say, what gave that away?

-Good night dear sister. You better sleep well you will need your rest, tomorrow our lessons begin. We will see then who is the better sister.

-It is not a competition….. I yelled as she leaved my room.

Sometimes she acted so conceited. But in time I got used to it and it didn’t bother me as much. Still, I wish she was different.

The night went by quickly and before I knew it the sun was at my window waking me up for a new day. It seemed to be pretty early though so I didn’t rush to change just yet and laid in bed for a couple of more minutes. Awful mistake! I fell asleep again only to be awoken by someone playing the piano. I enjoyed it at first but then I realized I had my piano lesson to attend to and I was most probably late.

And I was right, it was 12 o’clock in the afternoon, he had been waiting for me for a whole hour.

-Ah, look who decided to show up.

-I am so, so sorry. I fell asleep and I…

-Don’t waste your time explaining yourself! Play me something, instead, time is running.

He watched my every move as I played. Even though I felt uncomfortable I was determined to not make a single mistake. But that did not go very well.

-I think I’ve done a thousand mistakes.

-Actually you had about two hundred and fifty-one mistakes. But I do think it’s because you were nervous. I could see your hands trembling.  

-That’s great, just great! I mumbled

-Don’t be so hard on yourself, after all, the lesson just started. We have at least two hours or so till dinner is served so we might as well take advantage of the time we have.

-Yes, of course. But before anything else I must say I am really sorry and that I will not be late again.

-I will pardon you this time.

-Thank you!

-But!

-But?

-As a penalty, tomorrow you will be here at 10 o’clock sharp.

-But you said you hate waking up early.

-I am willing to make an exception, this time, because we wasted an entire hour today.

-Very well, I sighed.

-Let’s start again and this time no more making up excuses. Come on, from the top.

Even though he was a harsh teacher he knew how to make you learn in a way you would never again forget it. The moments of seriousness alternated with those of amusement, it was a perfect balance. The hours went by quickly and before we knew it was 3 o’clock, almost time for dinner.

Even thought at first I didn’t thought I needed a teacher I realized then that I had much to learn and that having someone help me was terrific.

-I think it is enough for today. You need lots of practice and someone to guide you. Wait, that’s why I am here.  Putting the jokes aside, I really think you have potential but it is going to take a lot of hard work and determination to become a good pianist.

-I will do my best.

-I am sure of that.

-Can…I, can I ask you something?

-Certainly.

-Could you please not tell my parents I was late?

-I wasn’t planning to. But what makes you think I will tell?

I looked at him rather bewildered.

-Well the other day Lucretia told me that at supper…

-Oh, I remember...um about that, he said embarrassed, I didn’t think you would mind. I thought It was a rather funny story.

-Well, it was embarrassing for me especially after my sister rubbed it in my face.

-Please accept my most sincere apologies. I didn’t mean to cause you any distress.

-Thank you…well I must be going now I need to check on my sister’s training. Mother told us that whoever finishes first must check on the other.

-Ok, then I shall see you later.

-Goodb…I didn’t have time to finish what I was about to say as he quickly changed his mind.

-Wait!

-Yes?

-May I accompany you? It is the least I could do to make up for my impoliteness.

-I don’t see why not.

We found my sister and miss Brown at the stables feeding the horses. They were finished as well.

-Ah, mister Duvant , miss Beauchamp , what a pleasant surprise. Are the lessons over for today?

-I’m afraid they are. What about yours?

-Well, we just finished a couple of minutes ago but we stuck around to feed the horses as you can see. Delightful creatures!

-How is your pupil doing?

As he asked that miss Brown approached Lucretia and put her hand on her shoulder.

-She is a natural! I have never seen someone so talented at horse riding such as her. She has a bright future ahead of her but she still needs practice. How is yours doing? My sister was proud as a peacock; she looked at me with a haughty expression as Mr. Duvant prepared to respond.

-The piano is her to command that’s for sure. She understands the beauty of music like no other pupil of mine yet she has to work harder to improve even further.

It was weird to hear him say those words after only a day of practice, but I had a feeling he did that on purpose, just to wipe that smile off of miss Brown’s face who was taking great pride in Lucretia.

-It seems we were blessed with two talented pupils.

-I couldn’t agree more.

Unexpectedly one of our servants came rushing towards us and I figured it must be time for dinner. Poor woman! She looked as if she had been searching the entire house for us.

-Lady Margaret is expecting you in the dining room. Dinner is ready to be served, she said panting.

-We will be there as soon as possible, I replied rather worried. Mother didn’t like to wait at all but this time she wasn’t her usual self.

-Ah, here you are, my servant has been looking all over for you. I do hope everything is ok.

-Everything is fine we were just discussing about our pupils. They made quite an impression today.

-That’s wonderful, just wonderful. You heard that Charles?

-I most certainly did. We could not be any prouder girls.

-Thank you mother, thank you father, replied Lucretia eagerly.

-But let’s not forget that we still have much to learn, I said.

-Of course, of course but that is why you have such great teachers for, to learn. Your mother and I expect nothing but the best from you.

-And we shall give you just that, said Lucretia proudly.

For the next couple of minutes it was an awkward silence, we all felt a little uneasy and nobody knew what to say. Eventually mother thought up of something to save the situation.

-Lucretia dear tell miss Brown how you decided to take up horse riding.

-Well, out of passion of course. It was like a calling. When I was about five I saw an uncle of mine riding a horse, he loved horses very much, and had about five of them back at his home, and I was fascinated. From that point on all I wanted to do was ride a horse; it became my main purpose in life. Of course I had to wait because I was too little but it was worth it. If I had the chance to go back in time I would chose the same thing.

-Fascinating! I too fell in love with horses at a very young age. Beautiful creatures! So elegant, so full of life! I wouldn’t change what I do for anything in the world.

-What about you, Aimee? said mother.

After a moment of silence I responded.

-I..I can’t think of a time when I didn’t love music. It has always been a part of me. It is what my soul is made of. Taking up the piano was just a natural step for me. Music needed to be heard through the perfect instrument.

-I can’t help but be amazed. That’s what a true musician should feel. Always, even in his sleep. A soul is nothing without music!

-Such intelligent daughters you have Mr. and Mrs. Beauchamp!

-Why thank you Miss Brown. They did receive the best education possible.

- I am sure of that.

That dinner was one of the happiest moments in our family. We all got along well and enjoyed each other’s company without complaining or anything else. I wish those moments lasted longer or were more frequent but we had to make due with what life offered us. The next day and the month that followed were perfect in almost all aspects. The lessons were going smoothly and mother was very pleased with us and thus she was in a good mood most of the time. I can’t say that our parents were on good terms though but they avoided each other so as not to argue and even went as far as having separate bedrooms.  I, for one, felt bad for father. He had to go through so much, seeing the person he loves turning against him. But he bore with everything just to see us happy. Poor, poor man! I wish that he had thought of his happiness for a second!

As for me and my sister, things started to get a little better that is until the day we received an invitation to a masquerade ball from Victoria Sinnet.  She was a wealthy noblewoman who liked to host opulent parties at which not everyone had access. We had never before received an invitation from her so it was obvious why mother and Lucretia made such a big fuss over the news.

-Mother I can’t believe it! We are so lucky.

-Indeed. When does the party take place?

-Two days from now.

-Perfect! We have to find the perfect outfits for you and your sister.

-What about you and father?

-Even though we are honored to be invited we cannot go.

-But why?

-We have other business to attend to. And besides I am not the young girl I used to be.

-But you love parties.

-I do, but this is the time for you and your sister to shine.

-I don’t want to go with Aimee only. It says on the invitation that we can bring someone with us. Maybe miss Brown would like to join me or Mr. Duvant, or better yet the four of us can go.

-That’s a splendid idea, after all they are our guests and a little entertainment won’t hurt anybody. I am sure they will love it.

-Great! Um, about the outfits we will be wearing, it says in the invitation that we will be masked once we get to the ball. A little weird don’t you think?

-A little, but it is her ball so she makes the rules I suppose.

Later that day, Lucretia began to search for me to share the great news. She eventually found me but I wasn’t as pleased as she thought I would be.

-Ah, Aimee here you are, I have some great news.

-About what?

-We we’ve been invited to a masquerade ball at Victoria Sinnet’s estate!

-Masquerade ball? I don’t think so. I am not going.

-But you have to!

-Why? You obviously don’t want go with me.
-Mother said if you don’t go then I can’t go. The invitation said we can bring someone to the ball with us and I was thinking about our guests.

-Aren’t mother and father going?

-No. But we must go.

-Have you spoken to miss Brown and mister Duvant?

-Not yet but I plan to. If it goes well all four of us shall be going to the ball. Come on , one night that’s all I ask.

-Fine! But I am doing this for our guests; they need to get out of the house a little.

-Yes! Thank you, thank you, it means the world to me.

I didn’t want to go at all but I would not have heard the end of it from my mother if I hadn’t. She takes great pride in such things. But what I told my sister was also true; I did thought our guests needed some fun.

In the evening mother called everyone in the living room to talk about the ball. I never understood why it was such a big deal; Mrs. Sinnet was probably just another rich woman with high standards and snobbish personality.

-I think you are wondering why we are gathered here for. Well it is simple but I will let my daughter Lucretia explain it.

-For the past month we’ve done nothing but work and our guests never had a chance of having some fun. But this is going to change. We have received an invitation to a masquerade ball which will take place two days from now.

-How wonderful! I love balls, you get to meet so many people there, exclaimed miss Brown.

My sister cleaned her throat making it clear that she wasn’t finished yet.

-As I was saying the ball is in two days’ time. There is no need for a costume as we are going to be masked there. We would like to make this an even special occasion by inviting our esteemed professors to join us, I am sure it will be most entertaining. My sister and I would be delighted to have you accompany us.

-I have never before attended a masquerade ball but I am really looking forward to it. It will be my pleasure to join you, said mr.Duvant gladly.

-I love masquerade balls, I can’t wait to go. Thank you so much for this opportunity!

-Then it is settled. I will write a letter to Mrs. Sinnet right away. I am sure she will be very excited to have you as her guests.

The days went by fleetingly and before we knew it we found ourselves getting ready for the ball. We worked really hard for the past two days so as not to fall behind on our lessons. Mother wanted a perfect balance between our social life and our duties and obligations. So for one night of fun we had to really break our backs. I always hated mother’s silly ways but there was nothing one could say. We would play along because we didn’t want a stressful environment.  Awful woman! I don’t know what has become of her, but I feel she is still amidst us, somewhere.

-Ok. You’ve got less than ten minutes until the carriage is ready, said mother as she was arranging Lucretia’s dress, there you go that should do it now you look gorgeous.

-I do, don’t I? Oh, I can’t wait to have some fun for a change.

-I am actually quite looking forward to it myself. I think this might have been a great idea.

-I am glad you think so Aimee darling. I remember when I was a young chap, always having fun attending balls and parties. In fact, it was at one of those balls that I met your mother. Ah, what memories! I always like to think that faith brought us together.

-Don’t be ridiculous Charles; faith had nothing to do with it. It was a mere coincidence to say the least.

-Say what you may, I will always think of it as faith.

-You are so childish, said mother rather annoyed.

- I think it’s sweet how you two met. Don’t you think so Lucretia?

-Yes, very romantic, maybe I will meet my future husband like that, said my sister as she was staring in the mirror.

-Get your head out of the clouds! It’s about fun not finding husbands, darling.

-Yes, mother I was just joking.

-Come on, we best be going Lucretia. We have to meet with our teachers in front of the house. Remember?

-I am so nervous I completely forgot.

-Actually you spent the last five minutes in front of the mirror doing nothing in particular.

-Oh what do you know I was…um…preparing myself. Beauty takes time you know.

-Sure it does.

-Girls, chop-chop time is running fast we don’t want to keep your teachers waiting.

-Of course.

Mr. Duvant and Mrs. Brown were very elegant, she was wearing a Turkish red dress and a large hat decorated with ostrich plumes and he wore a dark cutaway coat, waistcoat, narrow fitted trousers and flat shoes with square toes and bows on the instep.

-Miss Brown you look fabulous!

-As do you, my dear, as do you.

-You and your sister both look fantastic, as a matter of fact, all three of you look splendid; I am dazzled to be accompanied by such beautiful ladies.

-Mr.Duvant we are flattered!

He smiled and nodded in approval

-Shall we proceed to the carriage? The ball is awaiting.

-By all means!

For the most part of our short journey nobody said anything until Miss Brown broke the ice in her characteristic way.

-I find it a bit odd that we to get our masks there…

-I think it is intriguing and I am curious to see what costumes we will have.

-Mrs. Sinnet is known as eccentric but I think this is too eccentric even for her.

-Maybe you are right Lucretia , eccentric people are unforeseeable, you know always trying to impress with their weird ways.

-We shall see who is right! I think we are about to arrive.

-Indeed, Mr. Duvant  ,I think that is the estate. It’s bigger than I imagined.

-Well she is a noblewoman. What did you expect? said Lucretia, using a snobbish tone.

-Nothing…nothing at all.

Never in my life had I seen such an enormous place, once could compare it to a palace and he wouldn’t be wrong. At the entrance we were greeted by a valet who checked our names on a list.

-Good evening! Names please!

-We are Aimme and Lucretia Beauchamp and these are Frederic Duvant and Rachel Brown.

-Oh, Lady Victoria is expecting you! But first we must dress you appropriately.

-What does that mean exactly?

-Well, this whole thing is a game actually. You see Lady Victoria wants everybody to be separated from each other and dressed so as to be unidentifiable. Later on random guests will be picked to try and determine each other’s identities.

-That sounds odd but fun at the same time, said Lucretia excited.

-So that means we have to part our ways for now. I said.

-Precisely! Now let’s go we don’t have a moment to lose.

I didn’t know where the others were taken but I found myself in a room full of costumes. There were wigs, masks and make-up everywhere and that made me feel really uneasy, I didn’t know what to expect next, all I wanted was to get out of there as quick as possible. It seemed that my wish would come true when someone entered the room. It was a tall man probably in his forties or so, who said that he was to pick my costume.

-A! Good evening lady…?

-Beauchamp.

-Yes, Yes !

-I am Benjamin Wickes and I am going to assist you in picking a costume for tonight’s ball.

-Do you happen to know where my friends are?

-I am sorry, but I am not in a position to disclose such information, Lady Victoria’s wishes.

-Very well. I looked around rapidly and chose a beautiful black and golden mask but Mr. Wickes didn’t really have the same taste as I.

-Oh no, no, no I’m afraid that won’t do. Let me show you something more in style.

By the end of about fifteen minutes I was completely masked. I took a glimpse in a mirror and I was stunned, even I couldn’t tell if what I saw was me or not.

-I have to ask, how will Lady Victoria know who she is talking to if we are dressed like this?

-It’s quite simple actually. After the recognition game the ones that have been unmasked will be invited in another room.

-Weird!

-Shall we proceed to the main ballroom?

-Yes.

The ballroom was immense; as you entered you would notice its wide glass window panes that looked out onto a beautiful flower garden and stunning red velvet sofas made out of mahogany wood. Its eye-catching gold-leaf ceiling, crystal chandeliers, and intricately detailed fixtures were dazzling; it was truly luxury at its finest.  But I couldn’t enjoy it, I didn’t really feel good with all those people I didn’t know. I moved my eyes up and down the rows of people hoping to recognize someone but it was in vain. The only thing that I had left to do was to make my way through the crowd and find a seat but it was harder to do than I imagined. Being among so many snobbish and self-conceited people was no easy feat.

-Pardon me! Excuse me!

-Watch where you’re going!

-How rude!

Suddenly a voice was heard and everyone silenced.

-May I have your attention please? Good. I am Lady Victoria and I like to welcome one and all to my masquerade ball. As you may know every ball of mine starts with a little game, some of you may be already familiar with it. Two guests will be picked at random and they will have to determine each other’s identities. Tonight however I want to add a little twist to my game, so the two picked will have to obey everything the others who are not participating, say in order to determine who is hiding behind the mask. But remember, nothing too daring or inappropriate.

-What will happen with those who are unmasked afterwards? asked someone.

-They will join me in the dining hall. Have a great time dearies! Ta-Ta!

She left as quickly as she came I didn’t have enough time to see her very well but by the sound of her voice I could tell she was a very annoying and arrogant woman. Nonetheless everyone there seemed to adore her. But I couldn’t care less; all I wanted was to find someone I knew, even my sister. My search was interrupted, however, when the others started to form circles and I found myself in the middle of one. It seemed the game was played simultaneously.

All those masks looking at me in that dim light gave me an unsettling feeling. It made you feel like you were taking part in some sort of creepy, dark carnival in which the people became only colors and faces in the crowd watching, poking fun at everyone else who wasn’t like them.

-What, what’s happening? I whispered.

-The game is about to start silly.

-But I don’t want to be part of it.

-Too late you shouldn’t have just stood there. The stranger pushed me even further.

-But I didn’t…I…, I mumbled

-Don’t be such a scaredy-cat. It will be fun.

I really wanted to show them I am not afraid of a little fun even though I hated the game to start with.  Within moments a gentleman was pushed out of the crowd and next to me; we were both very confused and didn’t know how to start.

-Come one do something!

-It’s getting pretty boring.

-Oh I know, I know… touch her hand.

He did as he was told but I didn’t feel anything in particular because he was wearing gloves and he barely touched me.

-How about touching his hair? Or, or both touching each other’s hair.

I thought that would work but sadly It didn’t everyone could have had ebony black hair and I could have been wrong seeing as the light wasn’t really that bright.  I didn’t know if he was able to tell something by my hair.

-I got it! How about if you hug and then kiss? That should spice up things a little.

-And then you will take off your masks. We are already getting bored so we can’t wait.

I could not believe my ears. We were complete strangers how could we do such things? Unfortunately the crowd was getting anxious and we had to obey what we were told. So without wasting any moment we hugged for a couple of seconds and I don’t know why but I felt so warm and safe as If nothing could ever harm me. We were a little hesitant about the kiss but I for one was determined to go through with it. Our lips meet but we were so shy that it didn’t last very long. But while it did I felt as If a connection of some kind was made.

-Very romantic but let’s see who’s behind the masks. Shall we?

As I was trying to take my mask off I vowed to myself that I would not let a silly game get to me like that ever again even though ,I kind of enjoyed it. But I couldn’t help but wonder who the man was; after all we did share a kiss.

Finally, when our eyes met I had the shock of my life, the man was none other than…than Mr. Frederic Duvant. I was so ashamed and my mind was instantly flooded with so many questions and worries. What if my sister or Miss Brown saw? And if they did will they tell mother and father? I was unable to do anything and he was just gobsmacked.

-You better go to the dining hall, said a woman, the game is over for you.

In my head I prayed that my sister didn’t see what just happened because if she did I don’t know what would have happened.  Meanwhile in the dining room Lady Victoria greeted us and engaged in a small talk with my teacher.

-It is an honour to meet you; I understand you are the famous virtuoso Frederic Duvant.

-Why yes I am, it is a pleasure to meet you as well. He kissed her hand and smiled.

-I must say I am surprised, you are so young! I lived under the impression you were much older.

-Oh no, no I am just twenty-one years old.

-Such young talent! What brings you to these parts of England?

-Well I am miss Aimee Beauchamp’s piano teacher. As you may know musicians don’t usually live in the lap of luxury so we have to give lessons in order to support ourselves. As he said that he pointed in my direction.

-Charming girl! said Mrs. Sinnet, as she waved at me, but you do give concerts or private performances don’t you?

-I do but they are not enough and sometimes there can be weeks or even months until my services are requested. But I do intend to go on a tour throughout Europe.

-Interesting! Well I must go now, but I wish you good luck. In the meantime please have a seat dinner is about to commence.

As the conversation was over I thought he will come to sit next to me since I was the only one he knew but I was soon to discover I was wrong. He avoided me at all costs and even went as far as making friends with complete strangers just so that he didn’t have to be around me.

I felt awful and confused and I really needed someone to talk to. And the fact that he ignored me made it worse; I knew he must have been just as confused as I was but that still wasn’t a motive to let me all alone among people I didn’t knew. That night, however, as I was sitting on a sofa sipping some red wine I had the good fortune of meeting someone who would become one of my most treasured friends, Molly Adams. She was such a lighthearted person always cheering me up and telling me to look on the bright side of the things. I have never encountered a kind soul such as hers before!

Anyway when I first met her I didn’t quite like her because I was upset and didn’t feel like talking but she didn’t give up and managed to get my attention and… my friendship.

-Hello, um…is this seat taken?

-No.

-Ok. Um…so you came on your own too?

-Nope.

-Oh, ok.

-So, who did you come with?

-Um…my sister and… some friends.

-I see. They must still play the game if you are here by yourself.

-I…I guess so.

-I like that game even though I am not that good at it. I didn’t recognize the other person. But it was still fun.

-Aha.

-But you know what’s funny?

-Not really.

-I didn’t even want to come to this ball. My mother made Me., she said as she hung her head down.

At that moment I felt sympathetic towards her as we were both having issues with our mothers.

-You know what….me too. But it turned out it was fun after all. I lied of course but I wanted to make her feel better so I didn’t really have a choice.

She raised her head and smiled at me.

-You are right. I am just upset I am alone…

-Well you are not alone anymore.

-How rude of me, I never introduced myself I am Molly Adams

-I am Aimee Beauchamp nice to meet you Molly.

-Nice to meet you too.

After a couple of seconds of awkward silence she proceeded to ask me about my sister and the so-called friends I came with. She was very curious and I didn’t blame her, anyone would be.

-Um…so when do you think your sister and friends will show up?

-I don’t know. Do you have siblings?

-No. But I wish I had I feel so lonely sometimes.

-Having a sister is not always fun and games.

-Maybe. How do you get along with yours?

-Well we have our ups and downs but I guess we get along fine. I lied again but I just couldn’t tell her that my sister was an arrogant and self-conceited person.

-It’s good to hear that. I bet she is sweet, just like you.

-She is the queen of sweetness! I mumbled to myself.

-What?

-Nothing. Um…thank for the compliment, even though we’ve just met.

-I don’t know why but ever since I was a little girl I’ve been able to sense people’s personality. That’s why I came to sit next to you. It wasn’t just a coincidence.

- I see. That’s pretty amazing if you ask me. A bit odd but amazing nonetheless.

-I…I…thank you. No one has ever said that to me before.

 We both smiled and continued our conversation and even though she was annoying sometimes I really felt I made a good friend that night. She made me feel all better and I had almost forgotten about what happened earlier. That is until Lucretia showed up.

-Aimee I’ve been looking all over for you.

-Now you found me.

-Who is this?

-This is Molly Adams, we’ve just meet.

-Oh, I am Lucretia Beauchamp, my sister probably told you about me. Who wouldn’t actually?

-Yes, she did. It is a pleasure to meet you.

-Where is Miss Brown, Lucretia?

-I don’t know yet. I think she is still in the ballroom. Where is mr.Duvant?

-Um...around here somewhere. I saw him talking to mrs Sinnet.

-So why aren’t you with him?

-I just wanted to take a seat I am a little tired.

-Hmmm, ok. I am going to find Mr.Duvant. I will be back soon.

Molly was so excited and I figured out she probably knew who mr.Duvant was.

-Duvant? as in Frederic Duvant?

-Yes.

-He is a famous composer. How do you know him?

-Well, you see, he is my piano teacher…

-You are so lucky. I wish I could meet him. Wait; is he one of the friends you said you came with?

-Yes.

-Why didn’t you said so in the first place?

-I didn’t think it mattered so much.

-Oh, I understand .Um…I see your sister is coming back.

-Indeed. I wonder how she managed to find him so quick.

-Great news I found mr. Duvant.

-You didn’t talke too long to find him.

- I didn’t have too he is over there talking to some gentlemen.

-Oh , I understand. I thought you were going to bring him here.

-I wanted to but for some unknown reason he refused to come with me. He said he will join us later.

I knew very well what that reason was but I tried to act like I didn’t know what she was talking about. I had my doubts as to whether she knew or not and as such I avoided the subject as much as I could. The rest of the night went by rather well; Molly, Lucretia and I had a surprisingly good conversation, Miss Brown also showed up eventually, and told us of how she came across an old friend of hers in the ballroom; they happened to be picked for the recognition game. Mr. Duvant did join us, in the end, as he said he will, but didn’t talk at all and instead he just sat there sipping from a glass of champagne and thinking God knows where. 

Eventually after several hours we returned home exhausted both physically and mentally. We had a day off from our lessons to recover from a sleepless night and that could not have been more perfect. For the first time since he was in our house I was glad I didn’t have to interact with him. And I couldn’t help to think that he felt the same way. We slumbered away for nearly all day until mother sent for me and Lucretia; apparently she needed our help.

-Ah, girls finally! Good…shall I say afternoon?

-Good afternoon mother! What happened?

-Well I want you to run some errands for me. But before that, tell me, how was the masquerade ball? It was fun wasn’t it?

-It was great mother we had so much fun, I said nervously.

-Yes, Lady Victoria has such great taste she was an incredible host. Oh, and Aimee made a little friend.

-Really? Well, you must tell me all about it. But first please do as I told you.

-But why don’t you do them yourself? as you usually do.

-I have other business to attend to and before you ask again so is your father. Now, get going you don’t have much time to lose.

-Very well mother!

When mother did the errands it seemed like such an easy thing to do. She would be home in two hours at most but for us was harder than we imagined. Lucretia always wanted to go other places and do other things and was easily distracted but we managed to check all the things mother told us but on the way to our last errand something odd happened that triggered a side of my sister I had not seen before. In front of a tailor’s shop there was an old woman in rags singing beautifully. I was impressed with her and wanted to give her some money so she can buy something to eat. When she saw me approaching she kneed and her eyes filled with tears.

-May God bless your soul!

-Please, don’t knee before me. I am just a mere mortal. Come on stand up. I hope this will be enough for something to eat, oh, and you have a beautiful voice.

-May the Lord be praised! No one has ever told me that let alone show me kindness.

At that very moment my sister grabbed my hand and dragged me away shouting at the poor woman for apparently no reason.

-You are nothing but a worthless human being. Stop tricking people into giving you money. You are despicable!

-Lucretia how could you say such things? The poor woman clearly has nothing else to do.

-I don’t believe her.

-Let go of me! You are going to apologize to the old woman for your behavior.

-No I am not. People like her should not be trusted. Ever!

-Why?

-Because poor people get sick and then they die. Leaving you all alone even though they promised you everything is going to be alright. They are just a sore disappointment. I do not want to have anything to do with their kind.

-Lucretia ! That is not true and you know that. 

-It is! Remember Connie? She left us when we most needed her. How could she do that to us? How? My sister started crying muttering words only she could understand. I never thought that our nanny’s death affected her that much. I too was deeply saddened when she passed away but that did not make me hate people who were less fortunate than us. Clearly Lucretia thought otherwise and I could not help but to think of her mental state.  What was to become of her? What if she gets worse? With that in mind, I tried to talk to mother about what happened but she had the same attitude towards poor people. Stating that, they are just parasites, who are not worth our time and money.  Whereas father said that it was a somewhat normal behavior on her part because she lost someone dear to her and she was emotionally scarred by that; but he also told me he would talk to her for my sake.

However I also felt bad for the old woman and planned to go back and apologize for my sister the following morning before the lessons would start. And as such later in the evening I packed some food for her without mother noticing and took it to my room where to my surprise I found my sister waiting for me.

-What are you doing here Lucretia?

-Well…I wanted to talk to you. What do you have there? Are you…are you sneaking food?

-Um…well…yes. I was hungry.

-I don’t believe you. It’s for that beggar isn’t it? Does mother know?

-No! But don’t you dare tell her!

-Oh I won’t I don’t care what you do. If you like poor people it’s your choice.

-What do you want to talk to me about?

-Well I heard that you told mother and father of what happened while we were out.

-Yes, I am concerned for your well-being Lucretia.

-Don’t be! I can take care of myself I don’t need a nanny. I am not a crazy person you know. I just don’t like those awful people.

-But I didn’t say that you were crazy or anything.

-You did. Now if you please excuse me I have work to do.

-You know I think you just don’t have a heart. You are just a cold, insensitive person with no feelings whatsoever.

-I don’t need to prove anything to you. I hope you have a good evening. Goodbye!

Sometimes my sister was so stubborn. She could have just told me the truth. But as she said it was her choice to begin with. Anyway, I didn’t have time to think too much about it because I had other things that I was worried about. Tomorrow I had to face my teacher and I was worried I may do or say something wrong or worse that my parents will find out about the moment we shared at the ball. But in spite of my worries I thought that the little walk I was going to take in the morning will help me figure out what to do.

As planned I woke up took the food I packed and leaved the house as quiet as I could. The old beggar woman was so happy to see me she could not believe that I returned.

-Good morning do you remember me? I was here yesterday.

-But of course. How could I forget you? What brings you back to an old woman like me?

- I wanted to apologize for what my sister told you the other day. I am so sorry.

-Oh, when you live on the streets like I do things like that don’t bother you anymore. I am used to people being rude to me.

-I brought you some food I thought you must be starving.

-I can’t accept it you have already been too good to me. I don’t want to take advantage of you.

-It’s nothing like that. I really want you to have this. You need it.

-I am so ashamed.

-Don’t be, here take it.

She eventually took the food and thanked me from the bottom of her heart.

-Thank you! You have a beautiful soul.

- I am glad I can bring a smile on your face. Enjoy the food! I have to go now.

-Before you leave could you tell me your name?

-I suppose so. I am Aimee Beauchamp. I really have to go.

-Nice to meet you Aimee. It is ok you go; you have already done so much for me.

-Goodbye! I might come again tomorrow but I can’t say for sure.

-Bye dear.

I was so relieved that I made up for my sister’s rudeness and that I could bring a smile on her face. But little did I know that my cheerful disposition would be ruined when I would bump into a person I didn’t expect to see especially that early in the morning. I was just about to take a seat on a bench and enjoy the fresh air before going home when he appeared out of nowhere.

-Well, isn’t this a fine day!

-What are you doing here? How did you know I would be here? Were you following me? I said shocked.

-Goodness no! I am just taking a morning walk.

-You are lying! you hate waking up so early.

-Fine, you caught me.

-What do you want? How did you know I was going to be here?

-I didn’t plan to follow you it’s just that I haven’t slept a wink all night and I was heading to the garden for some fresh air when I heard a noise and a scurry of feet downstairs and I saw you. So I thought it was a good opportunity…

-For what? You just can’t follow people around like this. You really scared me.

-Please accept my sincere apologies. I did not intend to scare you.

-It’s alright, I guess. Um….I…what opportunity were you talking about?

-I wanted to talk to you about what happened at the ball…but I couldn’t do so in the house. So I figured I could catch up with you and…well you know.

-I…I don’t know what to say. What happened at the ball was so unexpected and I didn’t intend to go that far but it was the game and…

-I understand, we both did the same mistake. But I want us to agree to never talk about that ever again because it will affect our lives greatly if anyone finds out.

-I know and I am afraid my sister or Miss Brown could have seen us. I am very frightened.

-I am not so sure about your sister but I know Rachel doesn’t suspect a thing

-I hope so. We best be going now.

-By all means. But we mustn’t be seen together otherwise it will turn out bad. You go first and then I will show up. Is that ok with you?

-Yes. Well I will see you at our lessons Mr. Duvant. Goodbye!

-Goodbye!

On the way home I got the idea of buying some fruit so as to have a motive as to why I was out so early in the morning.  The talk I had with my piano teacher was so embarrassing and awkward but it also made me feel better because I knew he wouldn’t talk about it and that Miss Brown knew nothing about what happened. Though I must admit that he following me was unethical and very inappropriate I was somewhat glad that he was there trying to talk instead of ignoring me and trying to pretend he doesn’t care at all.

Back home I had the misfortune of running into father who for an unknown reason was wandering around nervous.

-Here you are!

-Father?!

-I have been waiting for you for about an hour. Where were you?

-Well I was craving for some fruit so I went in town and bought some apricots.

-I see. It might interest you to know that your mother sent me to tell you breakfast is going to be served but imagine my surprise when you were not in bed so I told her you were still sound asleep.

-I am so sorry father I didn’t mean to cause you any trouble. So you already had breakfast?

-No. Your mother decided to wait a little bit. Thank God you are here. Come!

-But what about my sister or the others?

-Your sister is already waiting for you at the table so is miss Brown. Mr. Duvant is still sleeping but I guess he will join us later on.

Mother was waiting eagerly for all of us to eventually show up at breakfast and she didn’t seem to mind at all that I went in town for fruit when I could have told one of the servants to do it. She was in such a good mood that even though Mr. Duvant was half an hour late it didn’t upset her. Not one bit.

-Good morning everyone! I want to apologize because this morning the breakfast is a little late but that should not have any bad influence upon the day that is only starting.

-Not at all Mrs. Beauchamp in fact back home I don’t really follow a schedule so I eat when I get the time, said Mrs. Brown cheerily.

-I am glad to hear that. Before anything else I want to make announcement. My husband and I really enjoy having you as guests but we didn’t actually had the chance of getting to know you or your families better because you are so busy with the lessons;  of course it is understandable. So we thought to invite your families over for a day or two.

-That is a splendid idea. Though I must confess I do not have a big family. I don’t have siblings but I am sure my parents would love to come.

-Splendid! I shall write the invitation as soon as possible. I hope they will be able to come.

-Absolutely! I am sure they will.

-Fantastic! What about you mr. Duvant ?

He looked distraught and haggard and didn’t pay attention to mother’s question. Mother cleared her throat hoping he will hear her.

-I am so sorry I didn’t hear the question. Could you please repeat it?

-What do you think mr.Duvant would your family want to come here for a couple of days?
-Oh, I am sure they will be most delighted. Unfortunately my mother is no longer with us and I only have my father and three siblings left.

-Oh, I am so sorry for your loss.

-I prefer to think of it as a new beginning rather than a loss or end. I am quite sure my dear mother is now a beautiful angel watching from above.

-The afterlife is a mysterious realm not quite understood by man. But I do hope that all our loved ones become angels, once there. It is a wonderful thought don’t you agree? said father meditatively.

-By all means I do.

 -On a more cheerful note you said you have siblings! Tell us more about them.

-Well, first of all, they are named John, James and Matthew.
-I see. Please excuse my curiosity but why do you have a French name? I mean out of all your brothers…

-Well as you can tell by my surname, Duvant, I am of French origin. My father Julian Duvant was born in Marseille, France into a rather wealthy family. He was a piano teacher himself, and at the age of 30 he came to England to give piano lessons to the daughters of an important nobleman.

- Fascinating! Said father excited, I too have French origins.

-Then we have that in common! said Mr.Duvant happily.

-Indeed! Shall we say Vive la France?

-Vive la France!

Mother cleared her throat once again and everyone silenced.

-Mr.Duvant I am afraid you have not quite answered my question yet.

-Yes, Yes I am so easily distracted please excuse me. It is quite simple actually; mother and father had an understanding. After their first two children were born the third one, if there was to be one, would bear a French name.

-But what about the youngest brother?

-Matthew? He came more as a…surprise to my parents. But we love him as much nevertheless.

-Ah! Frenchmen do love to have big families as the song says! I find it rather peculiar but who am I to judge others.

Everyone nodded their heads and a brief moment of silence followed. But Mr. Duvant came up with a well-timed toast to avoid things becoming awkward.

-A toast! To our hosts, may you always be in good health and prosper!

-Mr.Duvant this was so unexpected! Cheers! Said mother overwhelmed.

After the toast father continued where mother left and said that he will personally write the invitations and take care of all the arrangements needed to welcome our guests’ families properly. Surprisingly enough my sister joined the talk and addressed mr.Duvant.

-Please excuse my intrusion but you said you were going to tell us more about your siblings.

-Indeed! I was just about to say that. I appreciate your interest Mrs. Beauchamp. There is nothing much to say, my older brothers John and James have a business of their own which has been working pretty well for the past months.

-What kind of business?

-John and James founded the printer J. & J. Brothers.

-Ah, they made a good choice. It is something for the future. Believe me when I say they will know great success.

-I really hope so.

-Charles, my dear, I didn’t know you could foresee the future.

-I don’t. But it is plain to see where that is heading.

-Putting aside that, what about your other brother…um Matthew?

-Being the youngest he is more preoccupied with studying. He takes violin classes but he’s main interest is acting. The theatre has become he’s second house.

-He sounds like such a lovely young man. But I don’t recall you telling us what age difference there is between you four.

-John and James were born one year apart from each other. I am three years younger than James, and Matthew is one year younger than me. Simple!

-I forget, how old are you again?  Said Lucretia excited.

-21.

Lucretia fastened her eyes on him and smiled as if she wanted to say something but father interrupted her. In spite of that she continued to follow him with her eyes and I, for reasons unknown to me, couldn’t help to wonder what her intentions really were. Even after the breakfast was over she continued to have a strange behavior. I wanted to talk to her but I feared that it would make it worse and I just chose to ignore her. That is, until a couple of days after when she came in the middle of a lesson claiming she just wanted to sit and enjoy the beautiful music.

-Pardon my interrupting you but Miss Brown had some other things to attend to so we finished earlier. Could I sit here on the sofa and watch? I promise you won’t even hear me.

-But of course I am always happy when someone choses music over other things.

-Glorious!

I had a hard time focusing with my sister behind my back. I made many mistakes buy I was sure he knew why and didn’t mind. The remaining of the lesson went by really slow as if someone was holding the time from following its normal course. When we finally finished I was so relieved and cheerful that I told my professor to play something for us having no clue that I will regret it only minutes after.

-Mr. Duvant now that the lesson is over would it be too much to ask to play us something? One of your beautiful pieces will surely lighten up the place a bit.

-I will be glad too. But please stop calling me Mr. Duvant we are almost the same age.

-And how should I call you?

-Frederic or…or better yet Eric. I much prefer to be called by my first name.

-It will take some time but I will try.

-Dear sister, it’s not that hard. I already call Miss Brown by her first name. 

- If you say so, I said annoyed.

Within moments of our short talk he began to play the piano. I could barely find words to describe how beautiful the music was. It was just like hypnotism, making you focus solely on the music forgetting about the world around you. The world of the composer opens letting you see past the notes and past his very being. I felt the music on such a level that I didn’t need my eyes open letting my hearing take control wanting it to last forever. However my dear sister had other plans and as such my perfect world collapsed as the music stopped.  A strange feeling arose, as I opened my eyes and saw Lucretia, standing next to him at the piano. He too was bewildered upon seeing her there and didn’t know what to say or do.

-I am terrible sorry I did not mean to interrupt please go on. I just wanted to see your hands better when you’re playing. You see I also do this when my sister plays. It is a habit, I am afraid I can let go off.

-It’s alright, I guess. I am not used to people appearing out of nowhere next to me. I get so absorbed when I play that I ignore whoever is around me.

I couldn’t believe my ears; she was lying to him with such ease and with no regret whatsoever. She never once did that, she doesn’t even appreciate music let alone the piano. She clearly had ulterior motives that I knew nothing about. But I was determined to find out and just as I was about to do so father came in and he was more cheerful than ever.

-Finally I’ve found you! I heard the piano and that led me here. I have great news!

-What is it father?

-Miss Brown and Mr.Duvant’s families have answered our letters. They say they will arrive around July 23. Judging by the fact that this had been written on July 18 they are still on their way.

-But this means that they will arrive in about two days or so. Today it’s July 20. Does mother know?

-She doesn’t know yet but I will surprise her. Don’t be so worried Aimee we are ready to welcome our guests properly.

-I hope so. But I don’t think mother will be very pleased to hear the news.

-That is nonsense! She will be delighted, mother is a true lady. I am sure Mr.Duvant’s brothers and Miss Brown’s parents will feel at home here. Am I right father?

-Of course Lucretia dear.

- My family needn’t be treated differently because I am who I am. We are proud and modest people who know their place in society. It is nonetheless great news and I will eagerly await their arrival.

-Everyone is treated equally here but our guests are always the most important regardless of their social status. Now if you excuse me I must be going.

-Lucretia ,before father came in, I was about to ask you something.

-What was it?

-When did you started to take an interest in music ?

-Oh, silly I have always been interested in music and all things related to it.

-You don’t say so. May, I don’t even recognize my own sister.

-Oh there Is much more you don’t know about me.

-Like?

-For example did you know I enjoy going to the theatre every once in a while? And just yesterday I told father I want to take up an instrument.

-Strange, I thought you like horse riding and going out with your snobbish little friends.

-Clearly you don’t know me.

-Girls please, sisters should never fight like this.

-I am so sorry. Please excuse my sister’s behavior, sometimes she is such a know it all. But I cannot blame her we don’t spend much time together and it is only natural that she does not know of my hobbies and passions.

In that moment it became clear why my sister was acting like that. She wanted to make a good impression so that Mr.Duvant will speak highly of her in front of his brothers.

-Mr.Duvant…I mean um…Frederic please excuse me I am going to take a walk in the cherry tree meadow. I can no longer stay here and be insulted by my dear sister. I wish you a good day.

-Fine go if that’s what you want. Mr.Duvant and I shall continue or discussion about music before we were so rudely interrupted.

He didn’t say anything but the look on his face was somewhat sad and worried. I know that if my sister wasn’t there he would have said or done something from letting me go but he knew it was for the best that I spend some time alone, I guess. For the next couple of hours I wandered about aimlessly throughout the meadow feeling more alive than ever. I was alone and away from everyone enjoying the peace and quiet and not having to deal with my sister for a change. It was probably my most favorite place to be and even though the meadow was enormous I never got lost. Not even once. I knew it like the back of my hand, and I also knew there was a special place that had five cherry trees grouped so that their foliage shades the ground. It was the perfect spot to relax and only my sister and I knew of it. I wanted to sit for a while under the shade but my plan was foiled when I heard footsteps and saw father trying to catch his breath.

-Father?

-Aimee? Here…here… you are.

-How did you know I was here?

-Your…your…sister told me.

-I see. So what happened?

-Well as usual your mother didn’t found you and she sent me to look for you.

-You should have said you don’t know where I am.

-You know your mother dear she would have been very mad if I did so.

-What does she want?

-I am not quite sure. You will find out when you talk to her. Now let’s go.

-Oh alright. She is so annoying.

-Aimee! Don’t talk about your mother that way.

-I’m sorry father.

-What were you doing all alone here?

-I was…um…I was trying to get away from Lucretia.

-Why?

-Well…you may consider it childish but I don’t. She lied to Mr.Duvant, she said she is interested in music and going to the theatre but that is not true.

-Why would she do such a thing?

-I am not entirely sure.

-So jut for that you came all the way here?

-Yes…I left her with my teacher. She wanted to talk about music with him. Preposterous!

-As your father I feel I have to ask you something.

-What is it?

-Is it possible that you see Mr.Duvant as more than just your professor?

-What? How can you ask such a thing? No, no definitely no!

-Calm down. I will take your word for it. But remember I am your father and I know or I am supposed to know when one of my daughters has an eye on someone.

-I could not believe you would think that I…he is my teacher. It would be inappropriate.

-Please accept my most sincere apologies Mrs. Beauchamp.

-It is alright father, I said giggling.

-I will tell you this much when I first met your mother I was just a young chap struggling to make a honest penny.

-And she?

-She was a wealthy young lady.

-And how did you two end up together?

-We’re just about to enter the house. I will tell you some other time but for now remember this: despite our social status we managed to be together.

-That is so sweet but so hard to attain. I will go see mother now. I am looking forward to hearing the rest of the story.

-And you will. Now off you go.

Ah father and his stories! Always made me feel better; we had a special bond that not even my mother could tore apart. Or so we thought.

-Mother I hear you were looking for me.

-Aimee darling I was wondering if you can do something for me.

-Of course. What would it be?

-Well as we know our guests will be arriving in two days’ time that means Wednesday evening they will be here.

-Yes and?

-I want you to go to the bakery tomorrow and buy a sponge cake and some French croissants.

-But can’t our chef make this?

-I am afraid not. I gave him something else to do and we have to buy these.

-Fine.

-Oh and you can ask Mr.Duvant to come with you in case you need any help picking the croissants. I am sure he knows all about French cuisine.

-What about Mrs. Brown?

-Well she’s English so it wasn’t hard to pick a dessert for her family. The chef is making it as we speak. But Mr.Duvant’s family is part French so I thought croissants will be perfect for them.

-And the sponge cake?

-It will represent their English origins. It fits so well.

-I see. I think it is a wonderful idea.

-Thank you darling.

It came as a complete surprise that mother would put so much thought and dare I say soul into something as ordinary as food. For the first time I really liked what mother asked me to do and I was looking forward to going in town the next day. Sometimes mother’s desire to make a good impression brought out the best in her but unfortunately it didn’t last long and she would revert back to her usual self. How I wish she was different, how I wish!

For the rest of the evening I tried to avoid my sister as much as I could and as such I decided to play the piano a little because I knew she wouldn’t bother me there but it did not turn out as I planned. Just as I was about to enter the room I saw Mr. D.…um…Frederic standing at the piano but not doing anything. I could tell he was plunged in deep thought but I didn’t want to step in and instead I continued to watch from behind the doors. Suddenly he put his head to rest on the piano and began to play slowly. What I heard then was probably the saddest music man can conceive. Yet it was so peaceful like raindrops hitting water. I wanted to leave but my body wouldn’t listen to me as if it was under some kind of spell; I just stood there with tears rushing down my face and a sort of ache in my heart. Strangely enough amidst all those feelings I felt happy, happy I was blessed to witness such great music; I almost lost track of time until a sneeze brought me back to reality; My own.

-Who’s there? He said suspiciously as he slowly approached the doors.

Everything happened so fast I didn’t even have time to react properly. I wanted to leave first but I changed my mind and realized I have to face him no matter what. With a face as red as an apple I stepped in and revealed myself.

-It is…It is I Aimee.

-Aimee?

-Where you behind the doors all this time?

-Well…yes…you see…I…wanted to…to ask you something but I didn’t want to bother you…

-That is just silly, you wouldn’t have bothered me. So what is it you wanted to ask me?

-Would you come with me to the bakery tomorrow morning? My mother wants me to buy something for your family and she thinks you can help me.

-I will be delighted to.

-Wonderful! Um...I must go now I have important business to attend to.

-Of course but before you leave I want to ask you, what do you think about the piece I just played?

My cheeks turned rose red and I averted my eyes from his gaze trying to answer his question.

-I…I think it’s the most beautiful music I have ever heard; a music for which you need more than ears to listen to.

-Why Miss Beauchamp I am flattered. I don’t know what to say…

-You don’t have to say anything just keep writing music like you do.

-I will, he said smiling and fixing his gaze upon me.

-I will see you tomorrow Mr. Duvant.

-Wait! He approached slowly looking straight into my eyes, have you cried?

-How did you…How did you know?

-Your eyes are a little red. Why did you cry?

-Oh it’s nothing really. I think I am allergic to something that’s all.

He reached out his hand to touch me but for some unknown reason I backed away even though I didn’t really wanted to do that.

-I am so sorry but I really must go. I shall see you tomorrow!

-Um….ok… I wish you a good night…

-Thank you, a good night to you too!

Looking back on what happened I regret having the attitude I had. But everything was so awkward between us since that masquerade ball that both of us were really confused and didn’t know how to act around one another. I for one tried to ignore the feeling and concentrated more on my lessons knowing that he was to stay only till the beginning of autumn. The next morning, however, brought us a hair rising experience that scarred us for life, but at the same time, made us acknowledge our feelings for one another.

On the way to the bakery we noticed an old man being annoyed by a panhandler, who refused to go away and became increasingly aggressive when the man told him he had no money to give. I know now that to interfere in such things is not the best thing to do, but back then we were so young and naïve that we didn’t stop to consider the danger we would put ourselves into.

-Hey, you! You heard the old man! Now go away! Leave him alone! We shouted as we ran towards them.

-But I didn’t do anything wrong, why I was just claiming what is rightfully mine.

-What are you talking about you good for nothing…?

-A-ta-ta old man, you know very well what I am talking about. You took my money the other day. The only money I managed to gain in weeks. You said I am just a street vermin…how wrong you are…you said I should work like normal people do…how I want too…but you don’t know…NOBODY knows! As he said that he pulled out a pocket knife and began to threaten the man.

-Look! Why don’t we just calm down and resolve this peacefully, I said.

-Peacefully? Where they peaceful when they threw me in the streets penniless? How was I to survive? I had to resort to begging. And what does this so called gentleman do? He takes all my money claiming I don’t deserve it. But I DO I DO! Because I used to be somebody, I used to be respected. A gentleman, they said, I had my own people working for me, they were at my beck and call. I used to spit on beggars! Now look at me! Look at what has become of me! I am nothing. There where…some though times…I needed more money…but I didn’t realize where I borrowed it from…a loan shark. He took away my family my wealth, everything I had. EVERYTHING!

For a couple of minutes the panhandler just stood there looking at everyone who gathered around, not knowing what to do He obviously had mental problems as he went from a seemingly calm disposition to fits of anger in just seconds. We tried to cringe back from him but he started shouting and things got worse.

-Nobody leaves! Or the old man gets what he deserves. I know you people…next thing you’ll do if I let you go Is to tell the police so they can arrest me. Well I am not going to let that happen! I am not going to let them take away from me the only thing I got left, my freedom.

-Then why don’t you protect your freedom? Let the man go and we promise we will forget any of this ever happened.

-Enough with the pity circus! I am not a fool I know what you are trying to do! Say, you look like a fine gentleman! If you can give me double than what he took from me then I’ll let him go and I will be on my merry way.

-Fine! Anything you want.

-No! Mr.Duvant…I…I…mean Eric don’t do it. He is just trying to trick you; he won’t keep his promise.

-Duvant ? as in Frederic Duvant? The famous composer ?

-You…you heard of me?

-Ah, but of course! We…STREET RATS…know everything and anyone. We depend on it. Now don’t you stand there, we’re wasting time. Come and give me the money.

I begged him to not fall for his trickery but he wouldn’t listen to me saying that it was the best thing to do in order to save the old man’s life. As I suspected, however, the panhandler had other plans and as soon as Eric was in front of him he released the man from his grip and rushed towards the naïve composer bringing him to his knees. I thought someone would try and help but everyone just stood aside watching. I, for one, couldn’t stand there without doing something to help him so I rushed to his aid.

-Stop right there miss! You don’t want to see your friend get hurt now? Don’t you?

-Don’t you dare harm him!

-Don’t interfere in this Aimee, please!

With nothing else to do I turned to the crowd of people hoping at least some of them would help.

-I can’t believe how stubborn and coward you people are. That could be any of you. How could you be so indifferent?

- Let's see what you have to do about it. Anyone brave enough to do something about this? They won’t listen to you. They are too afraid to do anything. And how could they not be? In a blink of an eye I could just strip the world of one of its greatest talents. Unless…

-Unless?

-Unless someone offers me a fair amount of money in exchange…

-Who would do such a thing after what you did the first time? You are a madman!

-Am I now? I am just a poor panhandler who wonders the streets hoping he could catch another sunrise. But no one cares, no one ever cares! But now they will! He stood behind Eric and held the knife dangerously tight against his throat making him afraid to even swallow.

I cast my eyes on the crowd again hoping someone will do something but to no avail. Instead there was a deafening silence suffocating my whole being making all my joints tremble in fear.

-Oh, don’t bother to hurry up I’ve got time to spare; but on the other hand your friend, the composer, doesn’t.

-If I agree to give you what you want would you let him go and make yourself scarce? No tricks.

-Yes. No tricks. After all I am a man of my word.

-Don’t do that you know what he is going to do. Please!

-Shut up! unless you want to play for the angels.

-You worthless piece of…

-I SAID SHUT UP!!! In a fraction of a second the knife found itself in Eric’s right arm and then back against he’s throat.

-NOOOOO! I screamed in horror falling on my knees.

That was the moment that prompted the crowd to act. Even though they were as scared as I was it was too much and he had to be stopped. I just wish they had done that from the beginning.

-That’s it! We can’t allow you to harm anyone else. Put down the knife or you will have to face all of us, said a man.

-Yeah! We stood aside for too long. Let him go! Let him go! You coward!    

-You’re bluffing. All of you! If you make on more step I will make sure he meets the Lord right away.

Even though I was really shook-up I managed to rose on my feet and look him in the eye.

-You are nothing but a monster! No one should feel sorry for you. You don’t deserve it. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting someone who also lives on the streets, like you, but she has a kind and gentle soul who deserves everything you don’t. And who would never threaten anyone over something as inane as money even though she needs it. Why I am glad that man took yours!

-Don’t you talk that way to me!

-That’s right you heard me, I said as I was going towards him, I don’t even fear you anymore!

-BUT YOU SHOULD!!! He let go of Eric, who collapsed to the ground, and ran towards me in a fit of rage. Fortunately he didn’t reach me as he was stopped by all the people who rushed to grab him once and for all.

-It’s over! Now we are going to escort you the police from where you shall never return again.

-You were lucky! You were all lucky! I am just a poor panhandler…poor, poor me. They will never believe you. Never! And I will be free again on my streets, ha-ha-ha-ha-ha.

I was relieved that he was finally gone and that it all ended but it was all short-lived as I saw Eric coming toward me clutching to his arm.

-Aimee!!!

-E…Eric! I stretched out my hands and he fell into my arms. Your arm! Oh God! What should I do? What should I do?

-You should be calm. I’m…I’m fine. Ah…I just need to wrap something around my arm.

-You’re not fine. We need to get you home. I...I need to find a carriage for us.

-Hey! I know it might seem silly but I noticed something among all the things that happened.

-What?!

-You called me Eric, he said with a sweet smile on his face.

-I…um…this is neither the time nor the place to think about that. Let’s go!

-I hope I didn’t upset you…ah...I just wanted to…

-We don’t have the time to chat. Look! A carriage!

The journey seemed endless and the feeling of unease grew stronger as every second passed by. And seeing Eric in pain made it even worse; at one point he clutched to my arm saying he felt cold* and sick but I couldn’t do anything to help him. Never before have I felt so incapable and useless and even though all ended I was still afraid and as such I didn’t mutter a single word till we got home.

-Come on I’ll take you to your room.

-Shouldn’t we find your parents or someone else to help us?

-I don’t know if it is a good idea to be noticed by them.

-But what are you going to tell your mother…AAH!!

-Are you alright? Please tell me you are alright!

-It really hurts.

-Ok, don’t panic…I’ll think of something. Let’s go in.

I didn’t have time to think of anything because as soon as we entered the house we ran into my father.

-Father?

-Aimee? What…what happened? Margaret, come quickly!

-My God! What happened! He shouted as he rushed towards us.

-I don’t have time to explain! Help me get Mr. Duvant to his room. Now!



© 2013 A.Holmes


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
Added on August 6, 2013
Last Updated on August 6, 2013
Tags: historical fiction, romance, London, 19th century, memoire, diary