Forget Me Not - Chapter II

Forget Me Not - Chapter II

A Chapter by A.Holmes

II

 

 

With the help of my father we managed to lay him on his bed and calm him down.His pain worn off but he was shaken with the fit of an ague that held him for several hours until he finally managed to fall asleep. As for his arm, we wrapped a piece of fabric around it with some special herbs my mother had until the doctor came. To my surprise she didn’t freak out and was really calm about the whole situation; as if she had done those kinds of things a million times. I think it was the only thing I admired about her and I secretly wish I had it too. But unfortunately I am cursed with a fragile spirit that cracks open at even the slightest touch, and in moments like those I just lose myself almost completely. That’s why after we took care of Eric, mother and father insisted we must have a serious talk.

-Aimee, darling, what happened? Please talk to us. Your mother and I are really worried. Please say something, anything.

-We…were attacked.

-Attacked? By whom? For God’s sake speak girl! Mother shouted, angrily.

-Margaret! Contain yourself!

-But Charles! She’s stubborn as a mule. We won’t get anything from her like this.

-Stop it! Both of you! I don’t want to talk about it! Not now not ever! I said as I stood up and ran to my bedroom.

-But Aimee….

-Let her go Margaret.

-Maybe you can talk to her, Charles. You two always got along well. I will try to talk to Mr. Duvant when he wakes up.

-I will try. But I can’t promise miracles.

I couldn’t tell my parents anything without reliving all that happened, all that my eyes witnessed. It was too much to withstand. As I expected father followed me shortly after and once again tried to have a talk with me.

-Darling, may I come in?

-No! Go away!

-Please let me in. I promise it will only take a minute.

-Only a minute.

-But of course.

-I know you came here to try and convince me to tell you…but I can’t…I won’t.

-Actually I didn’t.

-Don’t lie.

-But I’m not. I just want you to know that your mother and I love you very much and that it’s very hard for us to see you like this.

-You maybe. But mother? I am not so sure.

-Believe me despite her behavior…

-Father, don’t! I rather didn’t talk about mother right now.  I…have enough on my mind already.

-Very well.

-I was wondering…where are Lucretia and Miss Brown?

-They went horse riding. Miss Brown said Lucretia needs to practice outside our domain, to be more familiar with the surroundings.

-I see. I’m quite glad they aren’t here now. They would probably question me as well.

-No doubt about that. Well, I have to go now but if you ever want to talk to someone about what happened you know where to find me.

I nodded my head in approval and laid on the bed bursting into tears as I tried to fall asleep. I succeeded eventually but I had a nightmare and woke up screaming as I saw the panhandler’s face. The first thing I did was to go check on Eric but unbeknownst to me mother was already in his room along with father, Lucretia and Miss Brown.

-Are you awake? May I come...in…I said pushing the door.

-Aimee you’re finally up.

-How are you feeling Aimee? asked Eric, smiling.

-Fine…what are you all doing here? How long I’ve been sleeping?

-We were all worried for Mr. Duvant so Mrs. Beauchamp suggested we all come and see him. I’m so glad he isn’t badly injured, said Mrs. Brown.

I just stood there moving my eyes from one another as they spoke.

-Yes. And now he was telling us what happened. Dreadful thing!  I am so glad the two of you are unharmed, dear sister.

-Now be a dearie Aimee and keep quiet for a moment Mr. Duvant was about to finish telling us, what happened this morning.

 -Come, sit next to me darling, said father.

I was really happy that he was feeling better but hearing him tell them about our misadventure brought me a feeling of unease.

-I think the man was crazy; probably escaped from a mental institution, of some sort. I don’t recall very well what happened after he stabbed me; I heard lots of noise and saw lots of people rushing towards him. All the people that stood and watched what happened; they were fed up and afraid of him, afraid that he could do the same thing to them, or worse. So they finally did something. As for me, I collapsed to the ground and my hearing became more and more clogged, I felt as If I was losing myself there, in the middle of everything. I hope none of you will have a similar experience. It was frightening. But despite all that I think it made me a better man. Stronger, and more aware of certain things, that, surround us. To not take everything for granted not even life itself. And today…I saw a tremendous display of courage and you should be proud… Mr. and Mrs. Beauchamp.

They all turned and stared at me while waiting for Eric to continue.

-Had it not been for her, I might very well not be here now.

-I…I wouldn’t say that. I mean what I did was on the spur of the moment.

-Don’t be modest.

- I didn’t know you had it in you, sister. Way to go!

They all started to congratulate me and say how proud they were and things like that but I didn’t feel like I deserved them because in that moment I was so afraid and terrified and I would have probably fainted if the panhandler managed to reach me.

-Let’s give Mr.Duvant a little peace and quiet, he needs it. And after all we have work to do. Tomorrow we have guests coming and I’ve planned a small welcome party for them.

-That’s wonderful mother! I think your parents will enjoy it, Miss Brown.

-I think so Lucretia. They do like parties.

-Splendid!

-Mrs. Beauchamp I told you there was no need for such extravagant things for my family.

-That’s nonsense Mr. Duvant I am sure they’ll love it.

-Perhaps.

-Now let’s get a move on. We don’t have all day to stand around.

-If any of you don’t mind I wish to stay a few minutes. I won’t be long. After all he is my teacher.

-Of course darling.

-But don’t take too long.

-Yes, Mother.

After they all leaved I approached his bed but still stood up.

-I am really glad that you are feeling better. I…I was scared…

-The pain pretty much worn off but sometimes it still hurts, he made a pause. Thank you…for everything. I am also glad you are unharmed. I was afraid that madman would hurt you too.

-But he didn’t. You don’t have to thank me. I did what I had to do. But you didn’t have to make me into a hero in front of them.

-I didn’t. I just wanted them to know what you did.

-Thank God it’s all over now.

-Yes.

-So, since your family is arriving tomorrow they will see your wound. What will you tell them?

-They don’t need to know. I’ll tell them it was an accident. Oh, and before I forget we will resume our lessons in the following days.

-It’s better if you rest for a while.

-That is out of the question. We will do as I said.

-Very well. I must go I’ve promised I won’t be too long.

-Could I ask you something before you leave?

-Sure.

-Since today I’ll be spending my time in bed, and it is already a late afternoon I won’t have to leave my room. But tomorrow morning could you help me get downstairs? I still feel a little dizzy and weak.

-I think so.

-Great.

For the rest of the day I helped mother out with whatever chore she needed to be done. She didn’t say anything about the sweets she wanted me to buy from the bakery in the morning. It seemed like she forgot. But I knew her. Father must have told her to not mention anything about it and probably went to buy them himself in order to avoid one of her fits of anger. Such a sweet man! It’s a shame mother never really appreciated him. Sometimes I wondered if she even had a hart at all to love and appreciate things with. Yes, she was worried for us and she had some degree of compassion but that was it.  Her occasional good moods were so rare yet they came at the most unpredictable times. Like in that evening when we were making the final arrangements for the party, she said Lucretia and I could invite one friend. And that was something!

-Well we are almost finished. There is one matter we must take care of. Girls!

-Yes?

-I’ve given this a lot of thought and I’ve deiced to let you invite on friend to tomorrow’s party.

-But it’s a little late. I think.

-Mother that is such great news. I think I’ll invite Beatrice. She loves parties.

-Aimee you could invite your little friend from the masquerade ball? What was her name again?

-Molly.

-Yes, her. Now go along.

-Fine. I’ll go to her place to tell her. It’s much quicker than sending her a letter. Would you like to come with me Lucretia?

-I guess so. Maybe we can swing by Beatrice’s.

 

We went to both of our friends and told them about the party and they were thrilled. Especially Molly; because, as she put it, invitations to parties sort of lost their way, to her. She was such a lonely and shy girl when I first met her. She never had any real friends besides me and neither did I so it was naturally that we became the best of friends.

The following morning we all woke up early to prepare for our soon-to-arrive guests. Mother said that they would come at about 10 or 11 o’clock so we didn’t have much time. Lucretia and Miss Brown wanted to help in the kitchen which came as no surprise because since she was little my sister loved to cook or to be around someone who was cooking. Mainly because she got to eat sooner than the rest of us, but nonetheless, in time she learned to cook and was willing to spend great amounts of time in the kitchen. Mother didn’t like it and forbid Lucretia from doing so, several times, because she thought it was not fit for a lady from the high society to engage in such things. That was a job for the house cook and the servants. But this time she made an exception since Miss Brown also wanted to help make a desert for her parents.

-So…Miss Brown and Lucretia are helping in the kitchen. Charles is running some errands. What about you Aimee? Have you finished your work?

-Yes. Is there anything you want me to do before I go?

-Where are you going?

-…Mr.Duvant asked me to help him come downstairs. He still feels weak.

-I understand. Well don’t stand there. Go and help the man.

When I entered Eric’s room he was trying to get out of bed by himself but he was still unable to stand still on his own and as such I rushed to help him.

-What are you doing?

- I wanted to see if I was able to stand up on my own.

-Well you obviously aren’t. Now let me help you.

-Thank you very much. I hope I won’t remain so dizzy forever, he chuckled.

-You’ll be fine you just need some fresh air. How’s the pain?

-It comes it goes. Maybe seeing my family today will make me feel better.

-We’d best be going now. We have about an hour or so until it all starts.

I took him to the living room and went to help mother and the others put the finishing touches. Molly and Beatrice arrived about half an hour and so did father, who upon seeing me, changed his sunny disposition into a more serious one.

- Good day everyone! Is everything ready for our guests?

-Yes. They should arrive any moment now.

-I can’t wait to see my parents. It seems like ages since I last saw them. I should visit them more often.

-I am sure they don’t really mind it; after all, their daughter is a world famous jockey with lots of work and training to do.

-I think so. I am glad that I can get to spend some time with them now.

-Shush! I think I hear something, said mother standing up.

-Your ladyship the guests have arrived. Shall I show them to the drawing room*?

-By all means do so. We will join them at once.

The moment we entered the room we witnessed a touching display of affection and the joy of reuniting two families who have not seen each other for over half an year or so. The feeling was incredible, for me that is; because I knew that for mother and probably Lucretia it didn’t really meant anything special. Father and I were always the most impressionable of the four of us but he tried to hide it because he wanted to stay strong for us refusing to admit that he was just a human being with weaknesses and pressure points.

-Father, Mother is so good to see you. I’ve missed you so much.

-We missed you too darling. How’ve you been?

-Great, great. I’d like you to meet my pupil Lucretia Beauchamp. She is such a talented girl!

-Nice to meet you Lucretia. We hope Rachel has been a good teacher to you.

-It’s nice to meet you too. Miss B…Rachel told me so many wonderful things about you. And yes she is an amazing teacher, I have learned so much from her. You must be so proud!

-How could we not be? She’s only 25 years old but has done so many wonderful things. Even though, we don’t get to see her as often as we’d want.

In another part of the room Mr. Duvant was talking with his brothers and father, trying to explain them how he got the wound on his arm.

-We let you alone for just a couple of months and you wind up hurting yourself little brother? Said John.

-You know me; I’m a bit of an airhead sometimes. I just got carried away with my work and all that. And I am not that little.

-Sure, sure. So how did you get it?

-Come on! We haven’t seen each other for half a year. And you want to waste the time on such trivial things. What it matters is that we are all healthy and well.

-Perhaps you’re right. We shall make it a story for another time. What do you say?

-Agreed. Now let me introduce you all to my pupil, Miss Aimee Beauchamp.

-It is a pleasure to meet you all. Mr. Duvant has told me wonderful things about you.

-Did he now? said James, the second oldest brother, looking at Eric.

-Aimee this is John, my oldest brother.

-Enchanted! said he after kissing my hand.

-This is James.

-Delighted!

-And this is Matthew my little brother.

-I’m pleased to meet you. I know this might seem too forward but you have such beautiful eyes.

-Oh my! Why thank you! I giggled.

-Ahem! Our little brother has always been a bit of a…shall we say…ladies’ man. said Eric.

-And finally this is my father, Julian Duvant.

-It’s an honor to meet you sir.

-I think I should be the one honored.

-Why is that sir?

-Because it is not every day that you meet a girl, your age, interested in music.  And all that it has to offer.

-Thank you for the kind words but I am merely a student; and not a good one, at that.

-Nonsense! Frederic told me you have great potential in becoming a great pianist one day.

-He…He did?

-He wrote to me every now and then when he got the time. Of course he told me about his most talented, yet somewhat clumsy, student.

I turned my eyes towards him and he looked away embarrassed with his cheeks turning bright red as he approached his father and patted him on the shoulder.

-Father and his sense of humour. But he’s right of course, I told him about all my students before so we continue the tradition.

-Indeed. Well it was a pleasure to meet you Miss Beauchamp.

Just when I thought the conversation couldn’t get more awkward my sister showed up.

-Sister dear, here you are.

- Lucretia, where you looking for me?

-Actually yes, I wanted you to meet Miss Brown’s parents.

-Well since you are here you might as well meet Mr. Duvant’s family.

-How nice!

-Everyone this is my sister Lucretia Beauchamp.

-Nice to finally meet you all.

The brothers proceeded to present themselves as they did with me and they seem to take an immediate liking to my sister who was, suspiciously, very talkative and cheery around them. At one point Lucretia brought her friend Beatrice to meet the Duvant brothers. She was beyond excited that it seemed she was about to faint upon learning that John, James and Matthew were the siblings of Frederic Duvant , the famous composer. They were giggling and elbowing each other like children seemingly playing a game of some sort about whether the boys like them or not. Even though they’ve only met them.

As for me I wanted to take some fresh air and went on the porch with Molly.

-So how do you like the party so far Molly?

-It’s great! Really! I haven’t had this much fun for a long time.

-Oh! I see! Well this might come as a surprise for you but I find it really boring and awkward; especially with my sister and her friend, Beatrice there.

-I’ve met Beatrice. Though I don’t think she likes me.

-Why do you say that?

-Well she commented that even though my dress looks great on me she would never wear it even if it was the last one she had.

-That’s so rude of her! Don’t cudgel your brains over that! She’s my sister’s friend so she practically has to be that way.

 I said giggling at the end. But soon enough we both burst out laughing for a couple of minutes until we had an unplanned surprise.

-What are you two doing?

-N…Nothing. We said trying to be serious.

-You are such children.

-Oh please! I saw you giggling in front of the boys.

-That proves nothing!

-So why are you here?

-Well putting aside everything Beatrice and I want to spend some time with you and talk. You know, like girls NORMALLY do!

-Oh, ok I guess.

-So? What do you think about the boys? Molly asked a little confused.

-We thought you’d never ask. They are true gentlemen, so sweet and nice. Said Beatrice exicted.

-Completely! We really took a liking to each other.

-You don’t say? How come?

-Well Aimee if you must know we have much in common.

-Really? So which one do you like or get along well with?

-At first from what your tutor said I thought I will like Matthew. But he’s artistic and dreamy side clashes with my much more adventurous and realistic side. He plays the violin and takes acting courses so he is not really my type.

And then I had an epiphany. I knew why my sister was acting so strange for the last couple of days. Since Eric told us about his brothers her attitude changed drastically because she wanted to impress him in the hopes that he’ll talk to his siblings about her. She always liked to make plans and act like a puppeteer playing with others to satisfy her needs and desires so I wasn’t that surprised when I finally realized it.

-But?

-But it turns out I like James more. He is so charming and handsome and…

-I get it, I get it. What about you Beatrice?

-Oh my, Oh my! They are all so good looking and well-mannered I just can’t choose. Wait! I think I can. I really like the composer. Those ebony eyes raven black hair and that beautiful radiant smile. I could just stare at him all day long and never get bored.

I was getting more and more annoyed as she talked and although deep down I knew why, I felt it was for the better if I kept my feelings at bay; locking them in some corner of my soul never to be seen again.  So, I tried to change the subject and Molly played along as If she knew what my plan was.

-Oh, silly me! I forgot!

Beatrice stopped and looked at me with a rather suspicious look. My sister though, visibly irritated, retained her lady-like manners and told me I was rude to our guest by interrupting her. Dear Lucretia! She always thought that being the older sister meant she could scold me like a mother. It was all just a competition for her to prove who was the more responsible, mature and perfect child to our parents.

-That’s very rude of you Aimee. I expected better from you.

-But it was something important. I didn’t want to let it slip my mind again.

-Really? What was it?

-Um…um…Mother told me she has a surprise for our guests and I should help her when I get the time.

-Why don’t I know anything about this?

-I don’t have to explain it to you. Mother requests my help and that’s all. But since I forgot I think she is pretty mad at me right now.

-Argh! You are so immature! Sometimes I wish I didn’t have a sister. I am going to see what our guests are doing. Are you coming Beatrice?

-Definitely! I don’t want to waste my time here where nobody listens to me. Said she; looking daggers at me.

It is true that my sister and I weren’t the best of friends but we cared deeply for one another however hard we tried to deny it. When we were children she always was mean to me in front of her friends just to prove that she was one of them; of those rich and snobby people with whom she liked to surround herself with. In this case, Beatrice was not different than the rest of her friends. She was the daughter of an important political figure of the time and thus she led a life of luxury surrounded only by the most expensive things money could buy: clothes, jewellery, furniture you name it. She had servants caring to her every whim without having to do anything herself. Everything was given to her on a silver platter and her wish was her father’s desire. He would go out of his way to please her even though she often didn’t appreciate it. Her self-centred and conceited nature went as far as being condescending to people who didn’t have all her advantages and sometimes even to her so-called friends like my sister. But Lucretia always forgave her for obvious reasons and they managed to preserve their friendship for many years until Beatrice moved to America and was never heard from her again.  There was a rumour that she supposedly died of consumption shortly after moving there but we never found out.

There was however something neither I nor my sister knew about her that we were about to find out that day. And even as I write this I can’t believe how I couldn’t figure out the similarities between their personalities. If I didn’t known better I would say they were mother and daughter. The news was even more shocking when it came from Eric who, in his naïve nature, didn’t seem as bothered about it as I was.

-Are you alright Aimee?

-I’m fine Molly. It’s not the first time my sister is mean to me. I’ve grown used to it.

-Isn’t it a shame though?

-What?

-Two sisters never actually getting along together. It might sound odd but I wish I had a sister. I think….I think that deep down she really cares for you. No person is that cold and emotionless.

-Well she is.

…….

-There you are!

-Why Mr.Duvant to what do we owe your presence here?

-Please call me Frederic or Eric. I am not that old, we are about the same age I presume.

-Quite so! Said Molly.

-What happened? Why were you looking for us?

-To tell you something I just found out myself. You never realize how small the world is until moments like this.

-Well? What is it? Tell us!

-You remember Lady Victoria Sinnet ?

-Ah yes! She hosted the masquerade ball! said Molly excited.

-What about her?

-It turns out that Lucretia’s friend Beatrice is her niece.

-No wonder! They’re basically the same. I wonder if my sister knows.

-Let’s tell her. I am really curious because I for one thought that Lady Victoria had no family whatsoever. We never saw any of her relatives at the ball.

- Don’t you think it’s none of our business? I mean I am not that anxious to know and I am sure that…

-Nonsense. I’m feeling better and I want to have a little fun for a change. Both of you come!

-I don’t know about you Aimee but I want to hear her explanation.

-Fine!

We searched for Beatrice and my sister only to find them chatting with the Duvant siblings in the garden. That is with two of them because Matthew had other things to do and was sitting by himself under the shade of a tree writing something.

-Look miss Beauchamp you go and ask your sister if she knows and then we’ll join you.

-But why me?

-I am your professor and I told you so, plus we need a conversation starter.

-Come on Aimee! Please!

-We are behaving like children!

-And isn’t that fun?

-Well…I guess.

-Then go.

I approached Lucretia but she wasn’t that happy to see me and before I could even say anything she started to throw questions at me.

-Don’t tell me you’ve come to apologize to Beatrice. How dare you? I’m mad at you. Why did you even come here? I thought you didn’t like being around me, around us?

-Calm down Lucretia! First of all I don’t have to apologize because I didn’t do anything. Second I only wanted to ask you something.

John and James were watching me with interest waiting for my question.

-What did you want to ask me?

-Well, I turned my eyes to Molly and Eric and back to my siser; I heard that Beatrice is related to a very powerful and rich woman.

-Is that so? To whom? She said turning to her friend.

-Well I don’t like brag but my aunt from my father’s side is Lady Victoria Sinnet.

-But…I didn’t saw you at the masquerade ball she hosted. My sister was baffled and it was plain to see that she had her doubts.

-Oh, I was in Paris at that time. My father had some meeting to attend to so he took me with him.

-I see…

-But we have a very close relationship. She is so sweet and caring. I regret not spending so much time with her as I should.

-Are we sure we’re talking about the same person? I said.

-What’s that supposed to mean?

-Nothing, nothing.  I was confused…that’s all.

-Anyway…as I was saying she is such a nice person. It’s a shame she is so alone.

-I always thought she was married.

-Oh no, my dear Lucretia. She was but uncle Martin passed away two years ago. I miss him so much. I...I… tears started running down her cheeks.

-It’s ok you don’t have to talk about it if you don’t want to.

-Thank you dear!

In that moment James and John tried to comfort her and offered to take the girls back in the drawing room for some refreshments. Matthew remained with us but not because he didn’t want to go but because he didn’t pay attention to the whole thing. We found out that he was working on a play for his acting class but it wasn’t coming out that well and that he has the habit of ignoring everyone around him when he is working. Such a sensible soul! I and especially Molly took a liking to him almost immediately. We thought of him as the brother we never had, with whom we could spend hours and hours talking and having fun. Besides Eric, those two were the only true friends I ever had. They were by my side at my best and at my worst. And for that I could never begin to thank them enough. In my case I didn’t need nor did I want an army of friends, I had two. The best I could’ve asked for. I am grateful that our Lord was merciful enough to not take them away from me. Maybe that was the plan all along…

Sometimes it’s weird how things work out. Friendship can be the best healer of the soul. Or so they say. And even though now we have our own lives to take care of we make time to see each other because that’s what matters in the end; being there for one another.

Anyway as I was saying my sister, Beatrice and Eric’s brothers spent almost all the day together talking and having a good time and even at dinner  Lucretia and her friend managed to find a way to stay closer to them despite mother’s dislike towards the idea.  Their interest lasted for a week or so in which Beatrice constantly visited us and at one time had a sleepover just so she can be around the boys and brag about them with her best friend. The only moment when I didn’t saw my sister’s “twin” was during her riding lessons which were eagerly watched by James and Matthew who, as I found out later, had a great love for horses. Miss Brown even offered to teach them one or two things about riding which of course couldn’t make them happier. John on the other hand had other preferences. He spent his days reading books or newspapers, going through some paperwork he brought with him and serving tea on the porch if the weather permitted it.  He was a very peculiar individual; he didn’t talk much and had a self-contained nature that made him more distant to the rest of us. Sometimes I thought it was because of the pressure of being the oldest sibling and having to be more responsible and mature than the rest of them. But you could never be sure of anything when it came to John.  I think that’s why neither Lucretia nor Beatrice took a liking to him because of his seriousness and unwillingness to put up with their childish ways. But soon enough all of us would come to know a different face of John’s, one that had been lying underneath his cold personality for a very long time.

It was a warm Saturday evening, if I’m not mistaken, and everybody was enjoying their day off as well as they could. Our parents we’re in the living room discussing, as father put it, “some fascinating matters” and I along with my sister and Eric’s siblings were in the garden talking. Mother arranged that appetisers and refreshments were always present on the two tables we had outside. She said it helped to maintain the weekend feeling we all loved so much.

We were all enjoying ourselves and Matthew even came up with the idea to play us something on his violin which he carried with him wherever he went to. I think in that day even God stopped whatever he was doing to listen to Matthew’s music. You could swear the violin was crying in his hands and he cried with it. Marvelous! Outstanding! were the only words suitable enough for what our ears heard; though not everyone was so touched by the moment. John, sipping from a glass of wine, listened, but no emotion could be read on his face except of boredom. Once, when I asked him about his brother’s behavior, Eric told me that it might be due to their mother’s death. Being the oldest sibling John had more vivid memories of her making it more painful for him than the others. It was understandable then why he was so cold and bitter. Despite all that he did something which no one expected: he stood up, as Matthew played, and shouted:

-Let’s dance!

We all turned to him with a shocked expression on our faces.

-I beg your pardon?

-You heard me well little brother. Let’s dance. You play, we dance.

-It’s a brilliant idea!

-Why thank you Miss Lucretia.

No one could believe their ears, especially his siblings, but we were thrilled by the idea. James asked Lucretia to dance with him and she couldn’t be happier and Eric wanted to ask me but before he could John came to me and I couldn’t refuse him since the proper etiquette forbids it.

-It’s like we’re floating. I love this. Oops, I’m so sorry I am so clumsy, said my sister as she stepped on James’s foot.

-It’s no problem at all. It’s been a while since I’ve danced with a lovely lady such as you so I am rather clumsy myself.

-Oh, Mr. Duvant stop it! You are making me blush, she said giggling.

On the other hand John was acting weird and paid me compliments, making the moment a bit awkward.

-You know you have the most beautiful smile I’ve ever seen.

-Oh my, this is so unexpected, thank you, I guess.

-I dare say you are the most beautiful woman I’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting.

-I…I don’t know what to say.

-You don’t have to say anything just dance and it’s enough, he said as he squeezed my hand and wrist pushing me closer to him.

-I think it’s enough. You’re hurting me, John. What’s the matter with you?

-Nothing. I just love to dance. Something odd was happening to him as his face turned blood red and his grip became stronger and stronger.

-John you’re hurting me! Snap out of it!

The music stopped and everyone looked at us in shock not knowing what to expect next. The three siblings tried to calm down John but he became angrier and violent. Eric grabbed his arm and said gently:

-The lady said to let her go. You danced more than enough.

-Who are you to tell me what to do? And what do you care?

-John I think you had a little too much wine. Come, sit down, Said James.

-Leave me alone J…James you know nothing. I am perfectly fine. And she wanted to dance with me Frederic, are you jealous? Go play your little piano.

Upon hearing this, Eric was infuriated and who knows what he would have done if it hadn’t been for Matthew to hold him back. John continued to taunt him despite James’s efforts to silence him.

-Please there’s no reason to fight or to be mean to each other. John I loved dancing with you but it’s enough for today, please calm down. Eric, you won’t solve anything if you’re mad.

-No! He started it by coming between us. You wanted to d…dance…

-That’s childish!

-Lucretia you aren’t helping!

-No, she’s right. I’ll be playing the piano if someone needs me. Good evening.

-That’s right you c…coward…go…go…

-I’ll take you to your room John. I apologize for my brother. I don’t know what’s gotten into him he isn’t a drinker.

-It’s alright James.

-Thank you for the dance my lady. It was most refreshing.

-You’re welcome, I whispered as my thoughts drifted apart. I couldn’t help but think about what happened and how the brothers acted. It was plain to see that John and Eric weren’t exactly getting along but they were hiding it very well underneath all that amiability.

-Could you believe those guys? Who would have thought that John would react that way?

-Nobody. But maybe he got carried away and enjoyed himself for a change.

-I don’t know. And what’s the matter with your professor? He out of all the people should have acted more logical.

- I wish I know.

-Is there anything you are not telling me dear sister?

-No not at all.  By the way where is miss Brown?

-Well if you must know she went to visit the town. She said she wanted to see the surroundings and the people.

-That’s nice. But it would be much better if she spent more time with us; getting to know each other, that kind of stuff.

-I told her once but she’s older than us, she would get along with James and John rather than us.

-Maybe. Listen I have to go. I need to talk to…

-Just go. He’s your piano teacher maybe you can figure out what’s gotten into him earlier. He’s such a weird guy.

I was sure that all of them thought the same thing and even I couldn’t explain myself why he acted the way he did. I mean, John had too much to drink and got carried away but him…why? It didn’t take me long to find his whereabouts he was playing the piano with such anger, passion and sadness that it was hard not to be touched by the beauty of it. His hands hit the ivories like waves hit the cliffs on a stormy day; I wanted to wait for him to finish but he noticed me in the doorway.

-Why are you here?

-I came to see if you’re alright.

-I’m fine. He said as he slid his fingers across the keyboard.

-About what happened, I burst out.

-I am very sorry for my brother’s behavior. As James said he is not a drinker. In fact I have yet to see a person more responsible and mature than John.

-I understand but I was going to ask about your behavior.

His cheeks turned bright red; he leaned his head down and continued to play aimlessly with the keyboard.

-I simply didn’t want him to do something stupid.

I moved closer and asked if I may take a seat next to him at the piano to which he responded with a short but firm “Yes”.

-By any chance, back there, did you want to ask me to dance?

-Well…I…was...but then…you know…

-I know. Hey…um…whenever I was gloomy or sad my nanny used to sing me a little song. It always cheered me up. I’ll play it for you, what do you say?

-It would be great, I guess.

“Every night when you go to sleep

Imagine the sky is your blanket

And the stars are your dreams.

And every day when you wake up

….”

-Oh dear me! It seems I can’t remember all of it…

-Oh….I really wanted to hear it all but there’s no problem…maybe it comes to you later. It’s such a sweet little tune I can see why it cheered you up.

-It was a long time ago but I am very fond of it. I miss her so much. My eyes were full of tears but I didn’t want him to notice so I tried to dry them out with my hands.

-What’s the matter? Are you crying? Please don’t cry.

-No I’m not. I just…

-Don’t hide it, it’s perfectly normal.

-Why did she have to die? As I said that I burst out crying; I couldn’t hold it in me it was too painful. He took me in his arms trying his best to calm me down.

-I’m sure she is in a better place now and she’s watching over you. It wasn’t her fault. If it makes you feel better cry and let it all out.

-But…why? Why? Why did He take her away from me?

-I…I’m not sure what to answer to that. Maybe…maybe…well this might sound childish…but maybe your guardian angel broke its wings and you needed a new one…someone kind who loved you dearly…

-You…you think so? I said amidst tears.

-I know so.

In the meantime mother showed up but she wasn’t pleased with what she saw and began to question us like a prison warden. We drew back from one another not knowing what else to do.

-What happened here? Why are crying Aimee?

-She was playing something but…then…she made some mistakes and I was very displeased. After all the work we’ve done.

-Aimee is this true? Did you learn nothing from your piano teacher? Perhaps you don’t need one after all. The man is even giving you lessons on a Saturday!

-No…I…

-Please forgive me Mr.Duvant for wasting your time with my daughter.

-Mrs. Beauchamp you didn’t waste anyone’s time. We will work harder and I’m sure we’ll get the results we need.

-Today it is August 7. If you don’t improve by the end of the month I’m afraid your piano lessons will end.

-But mother. It’s not like that.

-Oh? Did I not hear well when Mr. Duvant told me you made mistakes? Did I now?

-I think you are being a little too harsh on her Mrs. Beauchamp.

- I expect only the best from my daughters. Mistakes are not an option.

-Good evening!

We nodded our heads and a moment of silence followed after mother left. But it didn’t last long as he began apologizing.

-I am so sorry I didn’t know what else to say.

-You could have said the real reason.

-Yes, sure let’s see: Oh, Mrs. Beauchamp I was sitting here by myself when your daughter came and played me a song after which she began to cry. She would have understood I’m sure of it. What was I supposed to say?!

-There is no need to be sarcastic.

-Why didn’t you say anything?

-Because my mind just went blank. I thought you would…

-Well I didn’t.

-There’s no point in arguing now. Is there?

-No. But we are being silly right now.

-We are?

He stood up with an excited look on his face and grabbed my shoulders smiling.

-Yes, yes! You are an amazing pianist. No other student of mine had such talent and grace with the piano.

-You are making me blush.

-And you have great reason to. Can’t you see? Your mother can’t end our lessons, he said panting.

-But we must however practice more.

-We will we will. For one second I really thought that…but then I realized there’s no way…

-Calm down. Take a seat and breathe normally.

I never saw him so overjoyed and relived. I think that in his heart he wanted to do something to make up for his mistake, he wanted me to forgive him even though I already told him I wasn’t upset. I was just mad at myself for not being able to say something. Mother was a strict and astringent woman and expected only the best from her family and herself of course. And I knew that if she wanted to she could end the lessons anytime; regardless of my progress.

From that day onward I studied even harder realizing that talent alone would not help me.  Sometimes I would even spend the whole day in front of the piano taking only small breaks to eat. Eventually my hands became calloused and hurt so much that I couldn’t even hit a single key without having serious pain. Mother was pleased because both Lucretia and I were working very hard and that our teachers had only words of praise for us. My sister even hurt herself while trying to do a risky maneuver just to impress mother. Fortunately it wasn’t’ something serious so she was able to resume her training. Father pleaded with her to stop all that nonsense and let us have fun for a change but she refused and told him to stay out of it. It wasn’t long until they began to fight again; they couldn’t even get along in front of our guests anymore and it was plain to see that their marriage was drawing to an end. And things didn’t get better; on the contrary, they got worse. In the evening of 20 august after having supper my parents had another fight but this time it was terrible. They woke up the whole house with their shouting. Lucretia and I went straight to their room but instead of entering we eavesdropped for a little while.

-Why don’t you ever listen to me? I’m only good for brining money in this house? Is that what I am good for? I can’t have my own damn opinions without you getting mad at me?

-Because you insist on embarrassing me every time. Every time you want something else. I never heard you once saying you liked what I suggested. And don’t forget it’s not your business it’s our business. I bring money in the house too. So don’t you dare tell me that again!

-Embarrass you? Just because I told you several times that the girls should have more freedom? They’re young you can’t just force them to do whatever you want.

-They need to be proper educated. We can’t let them do whatever they want. That’s why I am in charge with this kind of things. You think too much with your soul Charles. You are a weak man!

-Don’t you dare say that again! Don’t you dare! Me? Weak? If it hadn’t been for me this family would have been tore apart by your selfish personality.

-That’s nonsense! Utter nonsense! You did nothing of that sort. If anyone should take the credit for holding this family together it’s me. I made the decisions, I run the business, I do everything around here!

-That was the last straw! You hear me? The last straw! I loved you once. I was yours heart and soul, but now I am disgusted by what you have become. I could have left anytime and start a new life away from you. But I couldn’t. The girls are my life and I could never have left them alone with you. You will ruin them the same way you ruined me and everyone around you.

-You do love to be dramatic, don’t you? Fine! If you won’t leave I will. I am going to stay at my father’s till you cool off and things get back to normal. And don’t you think for a second that I don’t love my girls. I love them! That’s why I want only the best for them.

We couldn’t believe our ears; mother was really going to leave us. It was heartbreaking, especially for Lucretia who looked up to her. We couldn’t hear the rest of the conversation because there was a dull heavy sound, as if something was dropped on the floor, which came out of their room. On the way back to our bedrooms my sister said she wanted to sleep with me that night but we couldn’t fall asleep no matter how hard we tried and instead we started to talk softly as we lay upon the bed, staring at the ceiling teary eyed.

-Do you think that this time they will get a divorce?

-I don’t know Lucretia….I wish I did.

-What we will tell our guests tomorrow? They sure heard the noise as well.

-What can we tell them? The truth. It’s not like they are the first couple to have problems.

-You’re right. But maybe she’ll come back. I mean it’s almost the end of the month.

-She wants to watch me play the piano to decide whether I should keep taking lessons or not.

-I heard; but why?    

-Um…it’s not important. What matters is that I have to do well.

-Mother said that our guests are going to stay till September and then we’ll have to part ways.

-That’s’ too bad…

-First mother leaves and then they.  I am really used to having them around.  And Miss Brown and I have a pretty strong friendship. And…I’ll really miss the boys.

-Me too.

-Especially James…

-Well seems like somebody likes somebody, I said giggling.

- A little.

-Come on tell me.

-We have so much in common and best of all he likes horses just as much as I do. He is such a gentleman, a long sigh followed.

-That’s so sweet. And does he like you?

-He does. Aimee…I think I’m falling in love. Is this what love feels like?

-Yes it is, I said with a long sigh.

-Aimee?

-Huh?

-Are you in love? She asked me with a serious expression on her face.

-What gave you that idea?

-Oh, I don’t know…the way you are looking at a certain someone, maybe?

-What are you talking about?

- Come on you know very well what I am talking about! Frederic!

-Maybe…a bit.

-Aha! I knew it! Why did you hide it from me?

-Because we aren’t exactly that close, remember?

-Don’t be so mean. I can be rude sometimes especially with you but that doesn’t mean I don’t care about you.

-You can also be snobbish and self-centered and…

-I get it. I am not the nicest person I admit. So tell me does he like you?

-I don’t know…

-What do you mean you don’t know? See that’s why you are the younger sister.

-Only by two years. Let us turn to more serious matters. Listen to me Lucretia you mustn’t tell anyone about this. Do you understand?

-I won’t. I promise.

-You don’t really know how to keep a promise.

-I do.

-Fine let’s say I believe you. Now let’s get some sleep if they found out we were awake…

-I know I know. Good night!

-Good night!

The morning came and all was peaceful and serene and we had almost forgotten what happened the night before. At breakfast time however father showed up with dark circles under his eyes and a surprisingly cheery disposition. He told our guests that Mrs. Beauchamp had some affairs to take care of and she had to go to London but she will be back by the end of the month; a beautiful lie, that everyone believed.  Poor father! Poor soul of his! Only he knew what torture laid beneath that smiling face.

For the next couple of days he did everything he could to make everyone feel comfortable especially us, since he thought we knew nothing of what happened between him and mother. As for the rest of us we did what we would usually do in spite of the apparent tension that was building up between us. I tried to practice the piano but my hands hurt so much that I ended doing something else like reading. Eric told me several times to take some time off and let my hands to heal but I have always been stubborn as a mule. When will I ever learn?

Anyway, one day something odd happened as I was having my five o’clock tea, John showed up and offered to join me. Since the incident in the garden he had been avoiding me out of shame and embarrassment and so it came as a surprise to see him talk to me.

-Afternoon, Aimee!

-Afternoon, John!

He paused briefly.

-Look I know we haven’t talk since what happened in the garden but I really wanted to apologize to you. It wasn’t me out there. I am not like that. I don’t even drink that much.

-It’s alright John, really. I understood, though you gave me quite a scare.

-I know and I am really sorry for that. We should have talked but I was too ashamed to even look at you.

-I told you, I am not upset. Would you care for some tea?

-Why yes thank you.

I stood up with the teapot wanting to pour him some but he insisted on doing it himself.

-Please! Don’t. Let me do it.

-It’s alright I’ll do it.

-I insist.

In a blink of an eye he just took the teapot from me forgetting that the little cap would fall off and all the tea would be spilled on me. And so it happened. I felt like a hot iron was pressed against my chest and arms and I immediately crouched to the floor in pain.

-Oh my god! Aimee! Aimee! Are you ok? Speak to me.

-Aaaah ! Aaah!

-What should I do? What should I do? Help! I need to get help.

I don’t know how or when but in less than a couple of minutes he returned with father.

-Aimee! Dear God! Quick John! Go and find Lucretia and tell the servants to bring some cold water raw potatoes and fast.

-It’s alright I’m here.

-It hurts so much. Aaaah!

In the meantime James came in the room and he was shocked to see me like that.

-What happened here?

-No time to explain James. Please bring me some cold water. I don’t know what is taking so long.

-Sure, right away.

The cold water was eventually brought but it didn’t help me that much; the pain was still intense but the stinging was gone. Lucretia and John also showed up and they tried their best to help me. I was taken to my bedroom where my sister changed my clothes and laid me in bed. From then on I don’t remember much just that there were many people going in and out of my room with cold water and raw potatoes which were changed from ten to ten minutes. Because of the pain I couldn’t even hear or see properly, it was excruciating, I felt like my skin was about to fell off. The last thing I saw before I passed out were four silhouettes gathered around my bed worried.

Even now as I look at my hands I remember that day as if it was yesterday. It doesn’t hurt anymore but the signs are still there. Four scars! That’s what I was left with. But I wasn’t angry with John for that not one bit. Sure I was a little upset then, because for several months I couldn’t play the piano at all but other than that I recovered well. I also gained a fear of tea and teapots. I know it’s silly of me but I can’t help it. Whenever I see one I just freak out.  I can’t blame John for what happened it wasn’t really his fault though he never forgave himself and was extra careful around me from that point forward. He had a good soul despite all that has happened.

When I opened my eyes again I saw father besides my bed worried sick and pale as a ghost wringing his hands.

-You’re awake! My darling! My child! Are you alright? How do you feel?

-My hands…I looked at them in horror as tears flooded my eyes, what happened to my hands?

-Calm down! You’re going to be fine I promise you. Please don’t cry.

-But…but look at them….I would never be able to play the piano again. And they hurt. My chest hurts as well…

-You will, you will play the piano again you’ll see. You just need to heal. I already sent for the doctor and he will come to see you.

I couldn’t say anything I just stood there looking at my hands trying to understand the situation but I couldn’t. I thought of mother and what she would say. I thought of my piano, my lessons, of Eric. I would lose them all. Just like that. But being the positive person that I am I managed to calm myself down. Things had to get better. They had to!

-May I come in?

-Sure Lucretia.

-Aimee how are you feeling?

-It still hurts but not that much.

-Don’t worry about a thing the doctor is on his way. In the meantime, there are some people who want to see you.

-That sounds nice.

-Come on father, you can come later.

I didn’t have time for guessing because my “guests” showed up immediately. And to my surprise besides Eric and Matthew I saw Molly. I was so happy to see her there but it was a mystery to me how she found out so quickly.

-Aimee, we were so worried, how are you?

-You guys I’m so happy to see you. Molly how on Earth did you found out?

-Well as soon as I found out I went to Molly’s. I knew she’d want to see you right away.

-How sweet of you Matthew!

-Oh! Well you know, I try, he said shyly.

-How are you feeling?

-Not too good. It still hurts and stings but not like it did a couple of hours ago. I thought I was going to die, really. I wish none of you experience pain like I did.

-Don’t talk like that! You’re going to be fine now. It passed. 

-Frederic is right. We’ll help you get over it.

-Thanks. It means a lot to me. As I said that I hung my head down looking at my hands.

-What’s the matter?

-Nothing…I…I don’t think I can take anymore piano lessons. Just…just look at my hands.

-It’s not true. He turned to Molly and Matt and told them something after which they left the room.

-Why did the left?

-Because I wanted to speak to you alone.  I wanted you to know that I will never give up on you no matter what happened. You can become a great pianist. The wounds will heal and we will resume our lessons.

-But we can’t. Remember what mother told us. There is no way she will allow it.

- I will speak to her. I will speak to your father as well.

-If you think it will work.

-I know it will! You just get well.

-I will. Thank you…

-It’s my pleasure. Now….what’s this I hear about you?

-What?

-Well you’re sister told me…

-No! She didn’t! 

-Oh! But she did.

-I told her to keep her mouth shut. How do you feel about this?

-Um…you know I like you…I mean…I like being with you…I mean….

-I get it, I said smiling.

He reached to touch my hands but he remembered he couldn’t, so instead he leaned and kissed my forehead.

-I have to go now.

-Wait! Have you talked to John?

-I don’t even want to see him.

-Don’t be so harsh. It wasn’t his fault it just happened.

-Nonsense. He should have been more careful.

Just then John knocked at the door.

-Aimee may I come in?

-No. Stay out!

-Don’t be mean! Sure you can!

-I…I know I shouldn’t be here but I had to see if you are alright.

-It hurts but I’m bearing with it. I’ll be fine.

-Thank God!

-You have nerve, coming here like this.

-What?

-You heard me. How dare you? Do you have something against her? Look what you’ve done to her.

-I…I…didn’t want to. I was an accident I swear.

-Don’t listen to him John. I know you didn’t mean too.  It happens. 

-I don’t think so. But I am not going to stay here and argue with you about this.  I have more important matters to attend to. Afternoon!

-Afternoon! Said John baffled. I wish I knew what’s gotten into him.

-I wish I knew too. Was he always like that?

-He was always a hot-headed guy. When we were little he would often lose his temper over little things but we thought it was just a phase he was going through.

-Did your parents do something about it?

-They did. Mostly mother since father didn’t have the time and was mostly away from home giving piano lessons.

-Frederic told us about her. I am so sorry…

-I miss her very much but I am lucky to have my brothers and father.

-Would you mind if I asked you more about her?

-Not at all. Those who are not with us anymore should be kept alive in our hearts by talking about them.

-True, though it’s really hard to do that.

He nodded his head in approval and began to talk.

-I was only eight years old when she died so I don’t remember very much about her but I do know this: that she was a kind-hearted and loving mother who dedicated all her time to us. She used to sing to us all kinds of songs, and even invented games for us to not get bored. Having four boys is a very demanding job but she pulled it off great. Sometimes I wondered how she did it. How could she not look tired at all even after playing with us the whole day? It remains a mystery to me to this day. But *sighs*

-But what?

-But one day as we were waiting eagerly for her on the porch, father came instead and told us that mother wasn’t feeling well and was going to spend the day in bed. She never got well. In our young minds we didn’t realize what was happening and every day we waited for her on the porch with little gifts such as drawings or plucked flowers from the garden that we wanted to give her, but she never came. We never saw her again and for quite some time father didn’t know how to explain to us what just happened, but we knew. We all knew because one afternoon when he was sitting with us in the porch, as mother used to, Frederic suddenly stopped playing and said: “Mommy learned how to fly, didn’t she? That’s why she didn’t come back”. Father’s eyes filled with tears and that’s when he realized that we knew, in our own innocent way, we knew and he had to do something about it.  So, he decided to sit down on the floor among us, and from his chest pocket he took out a folded piece of paper from which he began to read with a trembling voice. I remember that moment so well…every word…every word:

“My little angels I want you to know that I love you with all my heart.  Don’t be sad and don’t shed tears, for mommy will always be with you no matter where you go or what you do. You may not see me but I’ll be there. And so will daddy; he loves you dearly and would do anything for you. Take care, grow up well and make your own life filled with love. Farewell!”

-Oh God! That’s heart wrenching.

After a long sigh he continued

-It was…but we managed. Father is great and he did everything he could so that we wouldn’t miss her.

-But…John…why did she die of?

-Consumption, I think. But even the doctor wasn’t sure.

-Oh…

He looked at his pocket watch and stood up.

-Please excuse me but I have to go. Again I am really sorry, for everything. If there is any way I can make it up to you just tell me.

-There’s no need. Goodbye!

The next day, as I had my bandages changed, John paid me another visit this time a short one but with a big surprise to come.

-May I come in?

-Just a second, replayed my sister. Now you can.

-Hey! Sorry to bother you but I’ve come by to give you something.

-Hey! You’re not bothering me I just had my bandages changed. So what is that you wanted to give me?

-Well…here, see for yourself.

I couldn’t believe my eyes when I finally managed to open the present. It was the most charming little music box I had ever seen.

-John, it’s beautiful!

-Well, I thought…since you can’t play the piano for now…and you love music…

-Thank you. I love it. I’ll put it here on my nightstand. This way it will sing me to sleep.

But not everyone liked John’s little gift. When Eric saw it he was infuriated and said it was just a pathetic way to apologize. And thus he avoided John whenever he could for the following days.

The atmosphere became tenser with every passing second and despite father’s best efforts even he couldn’t manage to maintain peace and order in the house. My condition saddened him very much but he retained a positive attitude and knew I was going to have a speedy recovery. But mother leaving was probably the worst thing that happened to him. He didn’t admit it to himself but he still loved her in spite of everything that happened, and missed her very much. On 29 August, however, after nine long days mother came back home. But her return didn’t bring as much joy as one would expect to. When she showed up we were having breakfast but soon enough that was about to change too.

-Good morning everyone!

Father immediate stood up and looked at her in shock.

-Margaret!

-Charles dear are you surprised to see me?

-Well…I…I…

-Miss Beauchamp what a pleasant surprise. Would you care to join us for breakfast?

-Why thank you Miss Brown. I think I will.

-Mother, we’re so glad to see you.

-I’m glad to see you too my darlings.

-So how was London Mrs. Beauchamp?

She paused a bit and looked at father.

-Um…as always, tiring, crowded; as it usually is in a big city. Why do you ask Mr. Duvant?

-Well I have never been to London so curiosity is something normal on my part.

-I see. Well it’s not too late for you to visit it. She was eating slowly looking at everyone at the table, and when she set eyes on me things took a turn for the worse.

-Aimee, my child, why are you being so clumsy with your food? Hold that spoon right!

-But I…can’t. I’m trying my best.

-What do you mean you can’t?

At that moment I saw Eric looking at me worried because he knew what was about to happen. She just came back and she was about to mess up everything.

-I had an accident a couple of days ago…

-What? Let me look at you!

Imagine mother rushing towards me with everyone just staring at the whole thing.

-What happened to your hands? Dear God! Charles! Are you not capable of taking care of your own daughter?

-Margaret calm down. You’re overreacting.

-Overreacting? I think not.

-Mrs. and Mr. Beauchamp, let’s not blow this out of proportions, shall we? Said Mr. Duvant.

-Julian is right Margaret. It’s no use. What’s done’ is done.

-My daughter is scarred for life. Or are you blind? How did this happen? In fact it’s not even important.

-Mother! Stop it right now!

-Aimee!

-I am not a little girl anymore. You can’t treat me like that and not in front of our esteemed guests.

-You dare talk back to me?

-Yes! And I…and I wish you never came back. I stormed out of the room not being able to withstand her behavior anymore.

A deafening silence followed after I leaved. No one was expecting that not even mother.  For the first time I stood up for myself and it felt better than ever but I knew it was not going to last. She was going to punish me one way or another. Especially after our guests refused to eat and left the table. It was humiliating!

Even after a couple of hours the tension was still building up instead of going away. And when mother came to my room…well…it didn’t turn out good.

-Open this door I need to speak with you!

-Go away! I don’t want to see you.

-Open the door this instant or you will suffer the consequences.

-Fine.

-Why are you here?

-I should be the one asking the questions.

-I don’t think so.

She grabbed me by the shoulders.

-Listen! And listen closely! What you did today is unforgivable.

-Is that so?

-Don’t you talk back to me ever again!

-You can’t tell me what to do anymore. Why can’t you understand?

-I can and I will. As punishment for your behavior your piano lessons will end right now. Our guests are to leave at the beginning of September.

-What? No!

-You thought I leaved and you could just do as you please? I returned for you and your sister. Your father lied because he is a coward. How silly of him! He didn’t tell you because he wanted to protect you. Imagine that!

-You said you wanted me to play the piano for you.

- I did. But look at you. You can’t. And God knows for how long.

-You can’t, you just can’t.

-No one humiliates me in front of my guests. 

I expected that from her; I thought that being away from us will change her ways but she became even more bitter and cold. Sometimes I wondered if she even had a soul, or if she even cared for anyone. Lucretia might have been happy because she came back but I wasn’t. There was a time when I loved her, yes, but it was too long ago when she really was a mother to us.  Now, I hated her, I really did. That night I fell asleep crying because of her; all that I loved was taken away from me just like that in a blink of an eye. It’s true my arms were injured but in a couple of weeks or months I could have played again. But she didn’t care. She never cared…

………..

At some point in the night I heard my door creak as if someone entered my room, but being dark I couldn’t see very well. As a result I had the scare of a lifetime when Eric popped up out of nowhere near my bed.

-Shh! Be quiet! he covered my mouth with his hand. It’s me Eric.

-What are you doing here? It’s not very appropriate you know.

-I’m here to talk to you.

-Couldn’t you have done that in the morning?

-No. It has to be now.

-I can’t believe you’re in my room.

-Would you let that go already? Look! When your mother came to talk to you I saw her.

-You did?

-Yes! And…and I’m ashamed to say that I eavesdropped…

-Oh! So you’ve heard…

-Yes and I have a proposition for you.

-Make it fast I’m not comfortable at all.

-Run away with me!

-Say that again?

-Let’s run away together. I won’t let anyone separate us…um us…from our work. You may be injured now but you will heal.

-I can’t just leave. What about our families?

-They’ll manage. We’re grownups.

-But what about my father I can’t just leave him….

-Aimee, listen to me! We are about to lose everything. It won’t be long and I’ll be gone too. I can’t stay here forever. Everything…we had together.

-I…know…I love the piano lessons but what can I do. My hands are useless now.

-They’re not. We can leave now when no one can stop us. Please!

-But where would we go?

-We’ll find a place.

-How? What if we don’t? What we will do then?

-Trust me, we’ll manage. What time is it?

-I don’t know, I can’t see a thing though I think it must be around 3 A.M.

-Perfect! We’ll go to the train station. We’ll have till morning to get as far away as possible.

-Actually till eight when we usually have breakfast.

He leaned closer and took my hands in his.

-What do you say? Will you?

I know it wasn’t my best decision but at that moment I was so furious that I would have done anything to go as far away as possible from mother; even if that meant leaving father. Dear, dear father!

-Yes! But I need to change I can’t just go out in my undergarments. We’ll meet in 10 minutes in front of the house. Now go! You’ve stayed long enough!

-Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! You won’t be disappointed.

Even as I was going down the stairs to meet up with Eric I couldn’t believe what I was about to do. I knew that I was bringing dark storm clouds upon my family’s well-being and that the one who will suffer most will be father but in my mind I thought I was doing the best thing. Oh! To be young and to be foolish!

Alas, the damage was done and there was no way back. Eric and I wondered the streets in search for a carriage but there was none to be found so we had to walk but we didn’t even know where we were going.

-Great! Just great! What are we going to do?

-We’ll just have to wait. Good thing it’s warm, isn’t it?

-I guess…

-Eric…what are we doing?

-What we should do.

-But what about your family, your career? You’ll have more students I’m sure.

-I’m used to being away from my family. I’ll miss them but they’ll understand. Plus, I’ve left Matthew a note explaining everything and told him not to say a word.

-Why did you do that for?

-We need to know what’s going to happen in our absence. And Matt is perfect for that job.

-But what if he tells?

-He won’t. Listen! I know you’re scared. It’s something new but it’s not something impossible.

-I am…a little bit. Eric…where are we going? We didn’t find a single carriage and we can’t just keep walking.

-We can. We can check into a hotel or something.

-And then what?

-And then…I don’t know. How much money do you have on you?

-Only 50 pounds.  I was saving them for something. You?

-Well I have 100 pounds.  I had more back in my room but…I was in a rush and…

-It’s ok. You know we could have asked Molly for help…that is if you had said something yesterday.

-We could have…

After some time we came across a park and without a warning Eric took me by the hand and we found ourselves laying on the grass. As we stood thee somewhat silly question popped up in my mind:

-What do you see when you look at the sky?

-What?

-When you look at the sky, at the stars. You must see something.

-I see…thousands of worlds, thousands of possibilities. What do you see?

-Dreams. All the dreams in the world; Each shining brighter than the next one.

-But…if it’s dreams you see…what happens with them when someone dies?

-Then you see a shooting star.

-That’s just silly.

-Oh is it now?

-Yes.

For the next couple of minutes he didn’t say anything.

-You know…every time I look at the sky it gives me hope.

-Mm…how so?

-Because I know that my loved ones see the same sky from wherever they are and that makes me feel closer to them.

-That actually makes sense…somehow.

-Stop being so serious for a change.

-I’m just tired that’s all.

-I am too. I didn’t sleep very well I had nightmares…

-You know…I was thinking…

-Hmm?

-Maybe we could ask Molly for help after all.

-We can’t just go to her place now.

-Why not? We’re in desperate need of help. She’s a good friend, we’ve got to try.

-She is.  I know she’ll help us. But how are we going to get to her in the first place?

-We walk. And hope for the best.

It was a crazy plan but we didn’t have much of a choice. It took us about an hour and a half or so till we arrived at her house. There we faced our first major problem: we couldn’t just knock on the door at that hour, everyone would just freak out, so I came up with an idea.

-Let’s go in front of her window.

-What for?

-Well, we can’t just go and say:” Oh hello can you wake up Molly? We’ve run away from home and we need help”

-Fine! There is no need to be sarcastic.

-I’m just being realistic.

-So what do we do next?

-You mean what are you going to do next.

-What?

-Since I can’t do much with my hands still being as they are, you are going to throw some pebbles at her window.

-That’s crazy!

-You have a better idea?

-Not really.

-Then get throwing.

It didn’t take much time as Molly is a light sleeper she is awoken by even the smallest noise. And even though she opened the window Eric was still throwing, so one of the pebbles hit her forehead.

-What the? Stop it already. I’m here, I’m here.

-Oops, sorry Molly.

-What are you two doing here this late? If this is a joke it’s not a very good one.

-It’s no joke. We really need your help.

-Why? What happened?

-We…we ran away.

-You what? Are you insane? Forget that. Stay where you are. I’ll come down in a minute.

Dear old Molly! Sometimes I wonder where she keps that big soul of hers.

-I am sorry I can’t invite you inside.

-Not a problem.

-What were you thinking running away? Where will you go?

-That’s the point. That’s why we came to you.

-You know you can’t just run away from your problems like that.

-Molly, please! This is not the time for a lecture.

-Very well. I’ll help you but you must know you are making a terrible mistake. I might be able to give you one of our carriages to help you get somewhere.

-Oh, thank you, thank you, you are truly a great friend.

-Come here you two! Please write to me as soon as you’ve found a place to stay.

-We will. But please don’t tell anyone anything.

- I won’t. There is a catch with the carriage though. One of you must be the driver as I can’t wake up anybody now, it would ruin everything.

-That’s not a problem I guess. Father and my older brothers tried to teach me once so I am certain I remember some things.

-Then it’s settled. Go now and take care of you.

We took the carriage and hoped for the best. At first I didn’t know where we were headed to because Eric insisted it should be a surprise but I soon found out that he had an old friend in (little town) who was to be our host for a couple of days. And indeed it was. The man, Joseph Porter, a writer and banker welcomed us in his home with an open heart and during our stay treated us like family. We planned to not stay more than a week there but unfortunately things didn’t work out and we had no alternative but to remain at Mr. Porter’s house. Of course he didn’t mind it, and he tried his best to help us in any way he could. We were aware that we had overstayed our welcome and made efforts to find a place of our own to move to.



© 2013 A.Holmes


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

99 Views
Added on August 6, 2013
Last Updated on August 6, 2013
Tags: historical fiction, romance, London, 19th century, memoire, diary