Slapstick Dreams

Slapstick Dreams

A Poem by Aaron
"

Sometimes we mistake the caricature of life for life.

"

I want…

Pleasure without pain

Freedom without danger

Life without death

Contentment without boredom

Sex without love

Love without rejection

Rejection without doubt

Doubt without thoughts of slinging myself from the beams lining the ceiling of my apartment.

 

I spend a moment contemplating the tensile strength of an extension cord.

 

I spend another moment contemplating the irony of ending my life with an extension cord.

 

I spend my last moment doubting that’s actually irony.

© 2012 Aaron


Author's Note

Aaron
Any comments would be appreciated.
I'd love to know any thoughts you have.

Is the poem subtle or is it like pounding you with a brick?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Not subtle at all, Aaron, it's a very thought provoking right. The last three lines really sum up the raw emotion and imagery portrayed in the well written piece. Loved it, my friend. Looking forward to reading more of your work.

Posted 10 Years Ago


HA! Of course it's irony! Ending your life with an extension cord?? That is...well, disturbingly funny.

Hi. Not stalking...not loitering...actually perusing and purchasing your lovely brand of poetry; I'll take five of these, please ;-)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Aaron

11 Years Ago

Thank you!
Life lessons are usually hard, learning from them takes the strongest kind of person. Never give up, always remember there is a lesson to be learned, and there are always reasons why things don't pan out. Attempt to understand, instead of beating yourself up about them.
I can relate to this poem. It takes me back to a harsh reality of my own, but I no longer perceive that situation the same way and therefore it no longer has power over me.
Writing is always a better outlet than the alternative methods of self mutilation.
Stay strong, Write on.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Aaron

11 Years Ago

Thanks
Wheww!! This is powerful hon! When all the gathered thoughts are manipulated, it makes you realise there truly is no answer!
Wonderful piece!
xox


Posted 11 Years Ago


Not subtle at all hits you, thought provoking good write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Aaron

11 Years Ago

Thank you!
It's hard hitting but in a good way - it really makes you think. It created a character and a place in my head which is pretty difficult to do in just a few lines! Great read =]

Posted 11 Years Ago


Aaron

11 Years Ago

Thank you!
Most people want a lot of what you've just said, although the ending life part, I'm not sure. I can't speak for everyone in the world now can I?
This poem was amazing and well written.
"Life without death" Was the one line that caught me. We humans seem to always tal about the possibility of immortality. Lots of us seek it and if it was possible, would do anything to get it, wouldn't we?
"I spend another moment contemplating the irony of ending my life with an extension cord" Irony is a odd thing isn't it? At least, I think so anyway.
Well enough of me babbling about nonsense ahaha, this poem was awesome and I enjoyed reading it! Awesome job!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Aaron

11 Years Ago

Thank you!
Felecia

11 Years Ago

You're welcome :)
Great poem. I like it more that it doesn't rhyme than if it probly had. You did a great job with this one, Aaron. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Aaron

11 Years Ago

Thank you!
unknown

11 Years Ago

You are very welcome! I enjoyed the hell out of it. :)
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Mic
Imagine the epitaph... you know he'd write his own first. Or is this it? I wonder... lol.

Excellent!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Aaron

11 Years Ago

lol
Thank you.
Good work Aaron. It starts off with an intriguingly contemplative theme then whoosh, accelerates wildly to the left at a 100 mph. It works though. The last three lines are brilliant.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Aaron

11 Years Ago

Thank you!

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

551 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 19, 2012
Last Updated on October 22, 2012
Tags: love, pain, freedom, danger, life, death, contentment, boredom, sex, rejection, doubt

Author

Aaron
Aaron

ME



About
Drop me a message. I'm always up for hearing from interesting writers. I read King to turn pages. I read Bukowski to remind me of what I already know. I read Suess for life lessons. I read Tale.. more..

Writing
Tension Tension

A Chapter by Aaron



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Burns Burns

A Poem by Baby Ricochet