Taking off the Masks

Taking off the Masks

A Poem by Phantom Heart
"

A picture of what's under my masks

"

 

There is joy; contained in the bottom of a deep cavern. Walls enclose this rapturous joy. No traveler needs map this small stretch. No vessel has neared this small enclosure. Only a second of bliss can fill a moment not worthy of notice. The yellow that deafens your senses and pierces your soul has long tired of challenges with no victory. The warm of normal eons churn the seas of boredom. Life’s breath comes in shallow gasps, yearning for the smell of flowers never before springing to blossom. Joy walks here chained to the tasks of life
 
 
There is hope; not contained but filling no space. No wall bothers to enclose this minor annoyance. No traveler cares to wander this hollow spot. No vessel knows of its existence. Something has been filled here; but no hope is to be found. The blue that meanders over your senses and chokes your soul has long gone on festering and never healed. The changing of temperatures over the eons has caused the seas of your mind to rot. Thought coughs in spasms wishing for the brief smell of flowers never having any aroma before. Hope goes bowed and tame before a desolate life.
 
 
There is love; forcefully separated, contained here and there. Fortresses erected enclose the distasteful light. All travelers avoid those overgrown and terse paths. Many a vessel has reached its end and for naught and found only destruction waiting. Conflict fills every corner within, crippling all. The red that shreds your senses and shatters your soul has long gone on recklessly charging; never bothering with its inevitable defeated. The heat of scorched eons boil the seas of the heart. Life breaths deep the smell of crushed flowers only just sprung from bud to blossom. Love reigns only in imaginary worlds with of no meaning.
 
 
There is an abyss; naught can contain this wide expanse. No wall seeks to enclose the abysmal dark. No traveler has traversed this stretch of nothing. No vessel has neared the end. Nothing fills the vastness that is the void. The black that clouds your senses and smothers your soul has long gone unchallenged and never defeated. The cold of frozen eons churn the seas of emptiness. Death breaths deep the smell of flowers never before springing from bud to blossom. Sorrow runs here unbridled, despair goes untamed, and hate reigns; driving before them all joy, hope, and love.
 
 
There is a boy; breaking through the confines in this desolation. No wall is too high to enclose the madness. No traveler has survived an encounter, becoming themselves insanity. No vessel remains upright and they are without function. Confusion fills every space, every moment. The colors that daze your senses and aggravates your soul has long gone unknown, and uncared for. The cold of deserts and heat of frozen eons churn the seas of psychosis. Sanity holds its breath fearing the thorns from bushes without buds never to flower, only scratch and poison. Can he embrace the abyss?
 
 
This is me. This is who I am. This is what I think under all the masks.

 

© 2009 Phantom Heart


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love the details you put into this, the depths of the metaphors. The repetition is a nice touch "There is joy; contained... Walls enclose.... No traveler needs.... No vessel has neared..." There is hope; not contained...No wall bothers to enclose...No traveler cares to travel... No vessel knows" and so on. It gives it all a theme so its not just rambling monologue. Only suggestion i have is tiny: in places like "no traveler cares to travel" it might flow better with a substitue for travel, like venture or wander. similar-based words too close together can make a reading brain stutter. Well, one more thing-- its good to run something through a spellcheck first just for kicks. Dont feel guilty, we all do it. :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Very great metaphors! I thought I'd get lost for lack of structure, but I'm the King of Disobedient structure! Very clever, very thought-provoking! Your work is more suspenseful that what I'm use to reading here as far as poetry! Some are good at emotion or romance, but not a lot of visual suspense and your work has tons of it! Great work!

Posted 15 Years Ago


thanks for the tips mr whiskers. btw i copied the poem straight from word, so I don't know how the misspellings got there, but they did so thanks again.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I love the details you put into this, the depths of the metaphors. The repetition is a nice touch "There is joy; contained... Walls enclose.... No traveler needs.... No vessel has neared..." There is hope; not contained...No wall bothers to enclose...No traveler cares to travel... No vessel knows" and so on. It gives it all a theme so its not just rambling monologue. Only suggestion i have is tiny: in places like "no traveler cares to travel" it might flow better with a substitue for travel, like venture or wander. similar-based words too close together can make a reading brain stutter. Well, one more thing-- its good to run something through a spellcheck first just for kicks. Dont feel guilty, we all do it. :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love you metaphors, they convery you emotions very skilfully, again,

well done
Jackie

Posted 15 Years Ago


Wow. Just Wow.
Your descriptions really help the reader imagine the setting they're in. All the colorsmthe emotions,it's all blended well. Good job.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

169 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 2, 2009
Last Updated on May 20, 2009

Author

Phantom Heart
Phantom Heart

Coal City, IL



About
I really would like to become a better writer in order to express myself clearly. I am looking for lots of constructive criticism. I haven�t had anyone teach me how to write, so I have jus.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..