Boiling Rage off of Critique

Boiling Rage off of Critique

A Poem by iTryToWriteAllTheTime

              1. 
Jay, you old grumpy bird,
I'm glad to see you still 
kicking around. Hopefully
father time grabs his little
s**t on the way out, sooner
rather than later. You won't
be missed, not that I think
you think different.

              2.
You are quite a tool,
not of the 'craft' which
you proport to support
but instead sellers of craft.
You feel this need to meddle
your little fingers, breaking
windows into houses only
half built. 

              3.
In short, 
take your chill pills,
step off your high 
horse of false faith
and poor taste.

    4.
We real writers and real readers
walk our own way, and don't find
need for your suffocating attempts
to right our own words as if any one
of us could see 'this way'.

© 2024 iTryToWriteAllTheTime


Author's Note

iTryToWriteAllTheTime
Critique all you like. Praise all you like. Ideas? Thoughts? Feelings?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I tend to be kinder in my reviews and if I have something to point out I will generally do it privately.
But, I cannot disagree with Jay. I've had, on occasion, writings of mine critiqued unfavourably and sure it's not what we want to hear but we suck it up and move on, and hopefully learn something from it. Feedback is a gift. Saying your poem sucks is not nice but saying here are the specific faults with your poem gives you something to work with. Like I said, I've been there. So chalk it up to growing pains.

Posted 1 Month Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.

Davidgeo

4 Weeks Ago

I think you have really pretty hair.



Reviews

Criticizing Critics as a art form, I like it! :)
JD

Posted 4 Weeks Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jay has been around the site for some time, apparently sees himself as the unofficial editor in chief of w/c. My suspicion is he likes to showcase his "erudition," calling it an effort to help others. Interestingly, he seldom publishes any of his own pieces. If there is anything of value in his observations, learn from it. Otherwise, don't let it get to you. He's harmless.

Posted 4 Weeks Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Seems like a lot of people have already weighed in, but I thought I'd offer two cents to see if they might alter the balance.

Jay's not my favorite, like others, I've had my spat with him (seems like a rite of passage on this website). He has a tendency to neg, to flout accolades that don't mean much and to hawk his opinion in an effort to sell some kind of editorial service.

That said, his point as to thickening skin is important. If I chose to react to every barb on this website (I often do, which is ironic) almost all of my time would be spent fighting strangers and none of my time would be spent doing what I enjoy, which is writing.

Creative people are often sensitive, especially about that which they've worked to create. There's an innate personal attachment to the work, and that personal attachment means that we are sensitive to criticism. We take it personally, because the work is personalized, and criticism carries more weight as a result.

All we can do, is remind ourselves of this sensitivity, remember not to take it personally, and orient on whatever growth or lesson might be available in the exchange.

I've no problem telling Jay to go f**k himself (it is practically a seasonal occurrence here) but if there's anything of value to takeaway, it's to avoid internalizing conflict (or critique) and to filter out what you are or are unwilling to put up with.

Anyways, my two cents - good luck w/ it.

-Ook

Posted 4 Weeks Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Well said, ItryToWriteAllTheTime, I really appreciate where this comes from.

Poetry is an art, very subjective and very personal and its beauty mostly arises from how the reader relates to it. A s**t poem for some may be a masterpiece for another. Then again, it depends on the mood of the reader, who at some point may love a poem and at another, may wonder why he adored it so much. So its ALL VERY SUBJECTIVE. From there, it follows that no standards can apply to such an art and no one can really tell you what or how to write. There are thousands of literary Gods and goddesses littering this field and each had developed a unique and incomparable voice of their own. Can we say, the revered Sylvia Plath was better than Emily Dickinson or that Shakespeare was better than Virgil?? IF READERS RELATE TO YOUR POETIC VOICE AND WORDS THEN YOU ARE GOD EVEN IF YOU WRITE TWO MEASLY LINES! If they don't relate then one can write 2000 perfectly rhymed, timed, iambic-ally metered verses in a myriad of exotic formats, with the most amazing scenery munching and imagery and what have you and still be left unread.

As for me, I learnt whatever I did, without anyone telling me to do it this way or that. Its my art and I get to decide what I want to do and where to go with it. There's a need to express oneself and it gets polished over the years. If anyone critiques my words, let them be very careful in ensuring they have really something positive and constructive to tell me or they'll simply be told to go, f**k off! My work is posted up there and if they don't like what they read then they can move on. No snarky goats or frustrated weasels will get their rocks off pulling my work down. They can go do that on their own time. Thank you.

And don't go by the cliques and clubs on this site. There are groups that are very 'exclusive' and territorial on this site. You'll be dubbed a troll, a troublemaker and what not if you post your mind because their cliquish, snobbish, hegemonic ways feel threatened. For your very kind information, those very same elite snobs write poetry as tepid and useless as their insipid b**ls.

And lastly, one must never forget to be humble to the utmost, as an artist. Always, learn and work on oneself and NEVER publicly deride another poet's work EVER. We are all amateurs and learners. Ask those who call you out on your poetry to show you their published works as in published by real publishing companies like Harper Collins or Penguin or some other such.. They won't have any.

Keep speaking your mind. You're setting an excellent trend here.

Posted 4 Weeks Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The review should speak for itself. The background of the reviewer with all of the awards and accolades, not necessary.

Posted 1 Month Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lol you go iTryToWriteAllTheTime. Very enjoyable poem and tell them to go enjoy their day. ;)

Posted 1 Month Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Going by this sample of your writing, I doubt you need anyone to tell you how to write. Well written. Just keep working on it.

Posted 1 Month Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really enjoyed this poem.

Posted 1 Month Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I tend to be kinder in my reviews and if I have something to point out I will generally do it privately.
But, I cannot disagree with Jay. I've had, on occasion, writings of mine critiqued unfavourably and sure it's not what we want to hear but we suck it up and move on, and hopefully learn something from it. Feedback is a gift. Saying your poem sucks is not nice but saying here are the specific faults with your poem gives you something to work with. Like I said, I've been there. So chalk it up to growing pains.

Posted 1 Month Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.

Davidgeo

4 Weeks Ago

I think you have really pretty hair.
I was paid $200 for The Ballad of Roland Skye, the only poetry I've sent to a magazine, because unlike you, I wasn't too lazy to learn the basics.

I've been writing for nearly 40 years. I've been multiply published in long and short form, plus nonfiction. I owned a manuscript critique service, and I've taught at workshops.

You have 15 poems posted here and a total of only 13 comments for them, mostly from the same people. That's less than the least number comments on any one of my posted poems, and I'll be the first to admit I'm a lousy poet.

You posted your work without a note saying "Praise only, please." You specifically said, "Thoughts? Feelings? Critiques? What do writers think?" And, you-left-the-comment-window-open forthe response YOU asked for.

And because you asked, I took time I didn't have to, to help you become a better poet — including giving you links and recommendations to professional resources.

Your reaction? Behaving like a petulant child.

Had I praised the work you'd have accepted it without question, But because I pointed out things you asked to have pointed out — things you'd learn early in any course on poetry, you behave like a child.

Some advice from people you may have heard of:

“Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence.”
~Robert Frost

“I would advise anyone who aspires to a writing career that before developing his talent he would be wise to develop a thick hide.”
—Harper Lee

“A writer, shy or not, needs a tough skin, for no matter how advanced one’s experience and career, expert criticism cuts to the quick, and one learns to endure and to perfect, if for no other reason than to challenge the pain-maker.”
~ Sol Stein

“It is always hard for poets to believe that one says their poems are bad not because one is a fiend but because their poems are bad.”
~Randall Jarrell

“Self-expression without craft is for toddlers.”
~Rosanne Cash

“There’s no such thing as a born writer. It’s a skill you’ve got to learn, just like learning how to be a bricklayer or a carpenter.”
~ Larry Brown

“It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”
~ Mark Twain

“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightening and the lightening bug.”
~ Mark Twain

“Outside of a dog, a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”
--Groucho Marx

Posted 1 Month Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

342 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 15, 2024
Last Updated on May 15, 2024
Tags: destructive, constructive, critique, commentary, anger, Expression, rage, bird

Author

iTryToWriteAllTheTime
iTryToWriteAllTheTime

Davenport, IA



About
I write poetry, trying to work my way into bigger things, but started with poetry. I've got a big catalogue I think of poetry I'd like to share. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Imposter Imposter

A Poem by Andra Davis


Sorry Ladies! Sorry Ladies!

A Poem by AJNJ