HOW CAN?

HOW CAN?

A Poem by Akinlolu
"

This is a lament. When a man's dream dies, it's natural to sorrow. But he's got to move beyond sorrow and the help of quacks. Yeah, he's got to move on.

"
I'm trying to imagine
how it feels, making music
When no one wants to listen
to the lyrics.

The song is dead
and yet the drumbeats won't cease.
Teardrops won't stop germinating
the expansive spread
of poems we thought deceased

There's a storm as heavy rain falls,
but the soil is not wet.
The sun shines in a night
brought on by wicked swarms
but everywhere is still dark and wet.

How can there be fire without flames?
and how can flames dance without heat?
We thought that crying is solely the domain of dames
Are we surprised to see the tears of hunks fall like sleet?
They shamelessly play the blame game in their quest for fame.

Rats are everywhere and
cats are everywhere
but we see no rat dead.
The experts came with lots of flair but only got seared and scared.
Their shrieks were the stuff of nightmares; loud enough to wake the dead.

Our greatest fear is now here and it's
the death of a dream.
makes the heart bleed to the extreme
But don't cry.
Again, we must try.

Image Credit: Unsplash

© 2023 Akinlolu


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Thanks NormaZ. It's a xarthstic poem from someone who was going through hell. At the time, I was hoping I would come out intact. I did eventually come out but not intact. I came out with scratches and scars. But after decades, and in retrospect, I've come to value the horrible experience that birthed that poem. Why? It helped me grow tremendously..
Akinlolu

Posted 2 Months Ago


Very powerful poem! It feels so heavy, but with a touch of hope at the end, a way to heal perhaps, or move on?

Posted 2 Months Ago


A tragic yet uplifting message.

Winston

Posted 5 Months Ago


I would say this is dystopian except it is still happening now. Extraorndinary poem.

Posted 5 Months Ago


Akinlolu

5 Months Ago

It's dystopian, no doubt. It was my reality for a couple of years and then I woke up and decided to .. read more
Ken Simm.

5 Months Ago

I am both sorry and double impressed with this if that is the case. And you are most welcome. Best K.. read more
This is a great poem reviewing the actual facts touching many vital social behaviour. Great poem 👍

Posted 7 Months Ago


Akinlolu

7 Months Ago

Thanks Arundass. I'm glad you found this poem interesting. I appreciate your brief but encouraging r.. read more
Several good questions that deserve answers. Most frustrating when no one wants to listen to words, Things that we expect do not always happen and we find it hard to accept. The death of dreams is the worst of all. Thigs to think about. Nicely written.

Posted 7 Months Ago


Akinlolu

7 Months Ago

Thank you, Soren.
Your opening verse is so magical. What every true poet yearns to answer.

This is my read of yours Akinlou and I find so much to enjoy. The youth of your words rings out strong and vibrantly, painting a great word/worldly image. So full of life's great metaphysical questions. And the poem's last line is what one would hope to hear: Again, we must try.

As one who has crossed many rivers, and can see the wadi drying up before me, I am always thrilled to find new young lions ready to devour language. Will be keeping an eye on you sir

Ken


Posted 7 Months Ago


Akinlolu

7 Months Ago

Thanks for your kind review sir. I'm humbled.
Akinlolu
This poem is a powerful reflection on the struggle to create art and express oneself in a world that often seems indifferent or hostile to creative expression. The use of vivid imagery, such as the "storm as heavy rain falls" and the "teardrops [that] won't stop germinating," creates a sense of atmosphere and emotion that is both haunting and beautiful.

The speaker's sense of frustration and despair is palpable throughout, as they describe the challenges of creating music and poetry in a world that doesn't always appreciate or understand their work. The lines "We thought that crying is solely the domain of dames / Are we surprised to see the tears of hunks fall like sleet?" are particularly poignant, highlighting the ways in which gender norms and expectations can limit our ability to express ourselves fully.

Despite the darkness and uncertainty of the world around them, the speaker remains determined to keep trying, to keep creating, and to keep dreaming. The final lines, "But don't cry. / Again, we must try," are a powerful call to action, urging the reader to embrace their own creativity and to keep pushing forward in the face of adversity.

Overall, this is a deeply moving and thought-provoking poem that captures the struggle, beauty, and resilience of the creative spirit.

Posted 9 Months Ago


Akinlolu

9 Months Ago

This verse came to me in a season of great frustration and struggles. I'm glad you could relate. You.. read more
So evident to me in this poem is the message that each thing has its compliment. A song where only the beat is considered and not the lyrics always bothered me. The cat's and rats one needs the other, one for food and the other to keep the population under control. Balance is the issue here for me. Nicely done.

Posted 9 Months Ago


Akinlolu

9 Months Ago

Thanks Soren for looking at this event through a different pair of eyeballs. What happens if cats ar.. read more
Let our dreams be like kernels of corn; for every one that dies let hundreds be reborn. For that is the thing, a dream well planted and taking root will grow and produce many times the seed. We cannot mourn the toil while waiting the harvest. But the rats are everywhere, eating some of the good seed. We have to just keep planting our dreams. To the fields.

Posted 9 Months Ago


Akinlolu

9 Months Ago

Wow. Your review is more than a mere review. It encourages with sagely wisdom. Thanks so much.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

206 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 1, 2023
Last Updated on July 3, 2023

Author

Akinlolu
Akinlolu

Lagos, South west Nigeria, Nigeria



About
Akinlolu will not consider himself the best of writers until he becomes a hundred years old. In the meantime he strives towards becoming the best by continually writing poetic descriptions and critici.. more..

Writing
PA PA

A Poem by Akinlolu



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Give Me Summer Give Me Summer

A Poem by Brad


Crash Crash

A Poem by Ashley